What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has any Used they're Dehuey water for Their Plants???

KONY

Veteran
I would consider it if i had a new dehu.... but ours we got for 40$ used and its a few years old.

I once heard of copper or some other metal from the comdenser coil leaching into the water and causing some sort of problem. I wouldnt risk it unless I was 100% sure it was ok. Maybe test it on some house plants for a few weeks/months?

C

coconaut

no problem with copper, it's used all over your house to transport water.
The biggest concern with dehumidifier water is that it is contaminated with bacteria.
So don't drink it, but your plants should be fine

Green lung

Veteran
I have a brand new lg a/c that I collect water from it has low PH Very low PPM if any and it smells.....it smells bitter if that makes sense, But I use it PH I figure if has such a low PPm reading than there must not be anything in there.

Would you risk thousands of dollars of medicine to find out even if the water is most likely ok? What if there is another metal used in the dehumidifier? Something that leaches and doesn't agree with your plants even in small doses. Or some other unforseen problem? And even if one dehumidifer is ok, that may not mean they all are. RO filters are cheap. Also many supermarkets sell RO water for $.39gal if you bring a water jug.

Just some thoughts, I'm not trying to be a dick. (I did buy a toxic grow tent back in '08 so I am xtra cautious with all my decisions).
I know I wouldn't risk my needed medicine. But then again I'm disabled.

the ppms of my well water are so high that my meter just blinks and says 2000 when i test it.

as far as buying 80 gallons of r/o water at a supermarket on a weekly basis, not the smartest idea when it comes to being discrete.

r/o filters/membranes would cost me a fortune at the rate i would have to replace them.

rain water works great but it hasnt rained in weeks.

and last but not least, lugging around 80 gallons of water in 5 gallon buckets from a friends house 20 minutes away(no well water, municipal) is gettin pretty exhausting.

just trying to find an easier way to get my water. thanx for the input guys!!

Norkali

I've always been paranoid about the bacterial life count in that water....pay attention next time you empty some out; (mine at least) leaves a very slight 'sheen' of some water that just doesn't seem 100% normal....always reminds me of the slime horror stories that you hear of in hydro systems.

C

coconaut

I've always been paranoid about the bacterial life count in that water....pay attention next time you empty some out; (mine at least) leaves a very slight 'sheen' of some water that just doesn't seem 100% normal....always reminds me of the slime horror stories that you hear of in hydro systems.

There wont be too many bacteria in that water, still not fit for human consumption though.
Bacteria would need something to feed off of, dehumidifier water will not have a lot of food for bacteria. They probably mostly live off of hair and debris that gets caught in the grill as air passes through. Cultures are not going to reach large populations.
If you brew teas for your plants i'm sure they contain millions of times more life.
I once added too much molasses to a res. A couple days later the entire res was like syrup. That was a lot of bacteria.

Lone Wolf

Veteran
i use water from my AC and Dehumidifier all the time..

no problems at all... i grow in an attic, so collecting the water and using it saves me a trip down to the nearest water spicket from the attic...

the water that comes from the AC and DEHUMIDIFIERS is the same type of water that would accumulate on the outside of a cold glass/bottle of liquids that is sitting in a hot sweltering environment....

the only reason the water would get nasty and stagnant is if it is sitting around for a while. In my situation, I am emptying my AC and Dehuey every day or every other day so the water is FRESH.

I have a large rubbermaid trashcan that I dump the water in and then i take it from there when I want to water my plants. I am able to mix all of my nutrients in the water and somehow keep my ph right at 5.8.... pretty cool ...

picture.php

the plant to the far right below was burnt because I used too much pk13/14 ... most of the plants were able to suck it down... about 5 out of 80 or so couldnt drink it down. By the way, im surprised not everyone uses pk13/14... that stuff will seriously double the size of your buds if you use it right... i started using it 7 days ago and I have already seen extreme growth.. most of the plants are shooting out amazing freakazoid buds... i deleted a shitload of my pictures because i was supposed to be banned, but I was granted a life-line and took it.... i will slowly get my pictures back up here for you guys to gander... i have not seen anyone here rock it out in a crawl up attic space like myelf...

anyways, USE YOUR COLLECTED ac/dehumidifier WATER!
picture.php

Norkali

Cool, this just created a whole new resource for me, not to mention I'm no longer going to be wasting all that water down the drain! Thanks guys.

Marshall

I used to collect around 10 gallons a day from my DH and another 6 or 7 gallons from my AC and just dumped it into one of my reses. Never had an issue.

DH/AC water can have trace metals (lead, copper, aluminum, zinc) in it which can accumulate in your plants. These metals come from the piping and solder. It can also have pathogens (fungal spores) because it sits a lot (stagnant)..

I used to use it all the time until I started having some serious issues with my room. At about the same time I started seeing slime and crap come out of my DH/AC hose and decided it wasn't worth it anymore..