What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many watts is "too many" in So Cal?

Me and my buddy plan on buying a condo out in the Orange County area around huntington beach, long beach, costa mesa. I was looking at some grow tents/lighting options and I was just wondering how many watts would raise suspicion in said area? I was thinking about going with about a 3k watt grow. Is this chump change for California, or is 3k going to get my door kicked down because the elec company thinks im growing?

This is really a question for those who live out there.

-Smoka

KRD

Stay out of huntington people there are nosey narcs, costa mesa is chill I did 8k there for 3 years no problems. Whatever the panel size is the real indicator of how much you can do and pay your bill on time you will be fine.

Really? So huntington beach is a no no? And costa mesa is chill? Interesting. Thanks for the tips. Anyone else with input thanks in advance.

supermanlives

Veteran
when you start blowing fuses\tripping breakers and melting wires you have too many watts. LOL in a condo keep it small and keep smell in check bigtime. get a med rec as a backup . alot depends on your neighbors and your stealth.

I feel like both are very manageable. It will be a spare bedroom grow. The only thing I was worried about was the elec bill being too high. Smell will basically be dependent upon how tedious and how much I want to spend on carbon exhaust etc...

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
why are you combining a condo with a buddy....i say cut the buddy out of the equation unless you are going big on outdoor property or a house..

a condo can probably only run 4 lights safely before you gotta start upgrading electrical and shit...run the lights off your 30amp dryer outlet, and run all the fans and pumps off the rooms 15amps..

3kw in california will run around 300-400 a month give or take a few bucks....

if you are in condo complex DEFINATELY get a carbon filter....or go sealed with AC. but its just kinda risky due to all the neighbors, gonna be a bitch getting equipment and grow trash in and out..

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
you have 20k and you're buying a place to grow in? why? IF anything were to happen, bye bye house.

rent a condo/house with your 20k and do it yourself, trust me you'll be VERY thankful a year or three down the line.

instead of doing an 8k with a partner, do a 4k by yourself (I know you said 3k, one person can run a 3k easy). I have NEVER had a grow partner that I didn't regret. I absolutely understand some people here have amazing relationships with their growbros, but for every success story, there are 10 "my partner ripped me off/killed my plants/showed his girlfriend!" threads.

I have had lifelong friends that I had a great relationship with,.... until we started growing together... now we never talk or hang out and I WANT it that way.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
you have 20k and you're buying a place to grow in? why? IF anything were to happen, bye bye house.

rent a condo/house with your 20k and do it yourself, trust me you'll be VERY thankful a year or three down the line.

instead of doing an 8k with a partner, do a 4k by yourself (I know you said 3k, one person can run a 3k easy). I have NEVER had a grow partner that I didn't regret. I absolutely understand some people here have amazing relationships with their growbros, but for every success story, there are 10 "my partner ripped me off/killed my plants/showed his girlfriend!" threads.

I have had lifelong friends that I had a great relationship with,.... until we started growing together... now we never talk or hang out and I WANT it that way.

EXACTLY what i was going to post....

Want to get ahead in life?

Follow this man's advise.....

kifmaster

Really? Gov't is gonna seize a house that the bank owns 3/4 of? NOT LIKELY

irobot sd

This is chump change and it's also a poorly thought out plan. A Condo is a NoNO. 3k means you're splitting 3 lights. 1.5 lights per dude my dude. You'll be happy to ditch your partner and all your equipment after the first run if it even comes out a success. Summer is also no joke in So Cal. It already feels like its here to me.. I say spend 3-5k on first & lasts, find a chill house, find some good grow posts to subscribe to on here for better ideas and re-think this whole plan.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
why are you combining a condo with a buddy....i say cut the buddy out of the equation unless you are going big on outdoor property or a house..

a condo can probably only run 4 lights safely before you gotta start upgrading electrical and shit...run the lights off your 30amp dryer outlet, and run all the fans and pumps off the rooms 15amps..

3kw in california will run around 300-400 a month give or take a few bucks....

if you are in condo complex DEFINATELY get a carbon filter....or go sealed with AC. but its just kinda risky due to all the neighbors, gonna be a bitch getting equipment and grow trash in and out..

I run 3200 kw in NorCal....regularly $775 per mos electrical, that includesv1150 cfm fan 3 450 cfm, 2 -4 tube t5's....dehuey and AC briefly in the summer....I think we have some of the highest PG&E rates in the state(shrug)?.......ohh and I pull 4-5 units every 10-11 weeks....could turn it quicker I just like dank fire boo that takes 11 weeks to finish....good luck, Lots of good advice here already!

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
Really? Gov't is gonna seize a house that the bank owns 3/4 of? NOT LIKELY

HAHAH, when its used to commit felonies (and you have more than just local leo knockin) fuck yes they will seize it, the car in the garage and anything else valuable (TV's etc).

By renting its not your house, you're just paying to live there and your name ain't anywhere near the title.

mysteriously my Xbox never showed up at the police auction I went to ta reclaim my shit many years ago. Fact: Cops like expensive stuff for free....

joedogsong

This is chump change and it's also a poorly thought out plan. A Condo is a NoNO. 3k means you're splitting 3 lights. 1.5 lights per dude my dude. You'll be happy to ditch your partner and all your equipment after the first run if it even comes out a success. Summer is also no joke in So Cal. It already feels like its here to me.. I say spend 3-5k on first & lasts, find a chill house, find some good grow posts to subscribe to on here for better ideas and re-think this whole plan.

:yeahthats

Ok I agree that there is a lot of good info on this thread already. I appreciate all of the input. A few things. First of all - I heard it was bad to grow in rented property. Because landlords are always coming in and out to show to potential buyers, etc. Second - I guess I wasn't clear about my plan. My friend, who is my best friend from college who I trust more than anyone, is just a buddy who we are going in on for the condo. Just the condo. We aren't splitting expenses/profits from grows or anything like that. We are just trying to build some equity by getting a 200-300k condo that we can split. The grow is mine. 3k or 4k at most is all I really plan on going with. I have friends in the midwest who I will be moving it to so midwest prices on a 4kw grow and I should be good to go.

ELBURRO

Do it yourself. You are going to end up in fight with your buddy(or his girl) and tell to go f himself. It just happend to me(2 months ago). I got so pissed that I told him that he could have the 2 properties we had togther just to get out of the partnership. I will never have partner again. Do it yourself.

Zen Master - I have to disagree with what you are saying. Yes your name isn't on the title when you rent, but you also have NOTHING to show for what you are paying for in the end. That is the trade off of buying or renting. I can rent and not have title, or I can buy and then I will have title and I will also have equity in my name. There are clearly many reasons that one would buy over rent. Like I said I also hear it is wack to grow in rented property because it is rented = not yours. Landlords are always going in and out and shit.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
since I have a feeling I might know what you're envisioning, you should consider this.

simplify your grow
condo's suck for growing. Houses are where its at.
simplify some more
follow a method/nutrient regiment that has been demonstrated time and time again that WORKS. DONT go spending 10k setting up a DoubleD Undercurrent system.
simplify even more.
you DONT need snakeoil 'enhancers'
and one I feel most growers that are asking questions like yours...
double your expected costs, halve your expected yield.

if you're asking "how much is too much" you need this info even if you dont think you do. I've been in your shoes.

Latest posts

Latest posts