What's new

California Tax on Marijuana to bring in $1.4 Billion

Skip

Veteran
The California Board of Equalization (tax board) says that taxing sales of marijuana could bring the state $1.4 Billion per year.

A bill by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco) is ready to legalize the sale of marijuana to adults, without the medical restrictions currently in place. Sale of cannabis would become regulated much like alcohol and the possession of marijuana paraphernalia would be legal too.

Law enforcement is of course against the idea, because it would deny them funding that they now receive from the Federal government for marijuana eradication and enforcement. Perhaps directing some of that $1.4 billion to them might ease their pain a bit.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/07/a-pot-tax.html

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
And next they'll be taxing me to take a shit.

1.4 billion is waaaayyyyy over exagerated to gain support from the simpletons(brainless). Its just another scam to control our lives and grab some more cash from our pockets at the same time. Are we not taxed enough already

FUCK the state and all Morons wanting to be taxed.........AGAIN !! :moon:

zeddius2

I have no problem taxing a recreational drug.
They have been doing it with spirits since just after the american revolution and it seems to work just fine. I don't agree that it should be taxed as much as major killers like alcohol and tobacco tho. But we may have to give in a little to get this done. Remember this is politics, its suppose to be fair but its never been that way.

LOL thats 8 hundred dollars per pound... haha. If thats the case why would you want to be legal? If you can side step 8 hun a pound?

C

cork144

And next they'll be taxing me to take a shit.

1.4 billion is waaaayyyyy over exagerated to gain support from the simpletons(brainless). Its just another scam to control our lives and grab some more cash from our pockets at the same time. Are we not taxed enough already

FUCK the state and all Morons wanting to be taxed.........AGAIN !! :moon:

bit of tax vs cost of a lawyer and lost earnings if you goto jail.

to each and his own.

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
bit of tax vs cost of a lawyer and lost earnings if you goto jail.

to each and his own.

I agree, and people need to take economy 101, if it becomes legal, laws of supply/demand will lower prices drastically...
Ounces of dank will go for like $100 or less

zeddius2

you are deffinalty right about home growers going out of busness...the market is going to drasticly change to look like the alchole and smokes industry
just because it becomes leagal isnt gana make my bud lower quality tho. its gana make higher quality bud cheaper. im not saying were not gana have lower quality pot for even cheaper. it just wont be shipped from mexico. or will it? not sure how there there gana handle imports if they even alow it. for home growers its just gana be a hobby for home grows not a business

...... hell i bet more than half the people lobbying to keep weed illegal are the ones making the most money off of it or indirectly

my point is there will always be a market for low and high quality weed just like theres a market for high and low quality alcohol and smokes
i think what we need to focus on is all those people being put in jail not how much the weed is gana cost

nephilthim

I have said it before I'll say it again.another swipe at low hanging fruit by the state to alleviate the piss poor fiscal planning caused by public unions gone wild.grow a boilermaker and retire @50 with full benefits.as freedoms says those with economies of scale could drown the market in cheap crap or b grade to the detriment of all those who have or are growing not being able to compete with economies of scales and margins of corporations.
prop 215 is explicit enough in it's language as to discourage my favoring any taxation/leglization proposals to fund this states budgetary excess.

Latest posts

Latest posts