What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

lotion recipe

Cream recommended for arthritis, RA, or any other joint discomfort or muscle soreness. It doesn’t’ take away all of the stiffness but it certainly does take the edge off from the discomfort. When ever I make up a batch of this it is already all gone before I even put anything in the pot. Oh, by the way I give away all of the cream I make, not sure I would know what to charge for it anyway. I do get the occasional donation to help with some of the cost as I use high quality olive oil. Not sure if it makes a difference but it’s what I have always done. The ratios listed below were from my very first batch and I haven’t changed it much since then. It might be overkill to use as much trimmings as I do but the results speak for themselves, this is by far the best lotion any of my patients/friends have ever used or had. I borrowed this recipe from a cream recipe I found on line and modified it (my best ideas are the ones I have stolen from other people, ha-ha).Again this might be overkill but it does work like nothing else we have ever seen. Good luck with this my friends, take care and be well, but most of all be safe.

This makes quite a lot of cream

Ingredients:
-1000 ml olive oil
-150 grams beeswax
-700 grams cannabis trim leaves/ or maybe 448 grams of flowers (BB*) (note, My method is not as exacting as it seems here. Basically I fill the crock pot with trim/buds, add water, and the whole mixture comes to the top edge I stop adding water)
-6 oz. Lanolin
-1 small bottle of Patchouli oil/Orange oil, smells nice. Or one small bottle of Lavender for instance, this would also have a double action calmative effect as Lavender is absorbed through the skin as well.
-water, add enough to bring the mixture up to the edge of the crock pot

Steps:
-Prep: crock-pot, and make sure there is enough water over the 40-48 hours of cooking to keep the boiling point down. Very Important!!!!
-Ideally the cream should be made in a slow cooker, do not boil.

-Add olive oil and trim/flowers and water and simmer for 40-48 hours, stirring every couple of hours.
-Optional method, every 12 hours or so, keep covered and turn off crock pot for 2-3 hours and then turn back on. This cools a bit and absorbs more of the good stuff, oil that is absorbed into to the plant material. Keep stirring every 2-3 hours with this method same as the other method.

-Allow to cool enough to handle, strain while still warm or as hot as you can stand it.

-Pour contents through a sieve into a clean bowl: press the cannabis trim with the back of a spoon to force out as much oil as possible, and discard the trim
-cheese cloth twist and squeeze method, garlic press.

-Place water and oil solution into coldest part of fridge and after 24 to 48 hours the olive oil will solidify - this will allow you to separate the oil and discard the water. Using olive oil takes longer to set up than butter does so keep this in mind. Whereas butter will be separated and able to skim off after a few hours, not so for olive oil.

-You should be left with a slightly green olive oil in solid form.

Stove Top:

-Place it into a saucepan and GENTLY simmer - DO NOT BOIL, very low heat, take your time and be patient. Rather than trying to do the whole batch just use workable portions

-Add the beeswax in small pieces and let it dissolve whilst stirring.

-Also add the Lanolin and essential oil like lavender oil/ Patchouli oil/Orange oil; with the beeswax for a pleasant aroma right near the end of the process (my preference is the Patchouli/Orange oil mixture, while lavender has calming effects, pick what ever works for you)
-Pour mixture into suitable containers - wide necked are best, and allow to cool. Used cosmetic jars from co-opts work well.

-Apply cream twice a day, morning and evening. I keep the cream refrigerated, or frozen for long-term storage. I don’t think the mixture needs to be kept cold but I do to be safe and it seems to keep longer this way.

Key Aspects: The three main aspects that will improve the strength and effectiveness of the cream are…

• Portions, I believe if you can get as close to a 1:1 ratio this will dramatically increase the strength and potency of your cream/lotion (and quality of trim/bud) and…
  • Length of time in the crock pot and water added to keep the boiling point down (key!!!).
  • Basically I add as much water as needed to bring the mixture up to the edge with a little room for stirring. First add the trim/buds and oil, and then top off with water, length of time is key. I just finished a batch of butter I had in the crock pot for 6 days and it is way too strong and over the top crazy. Next batch of cream I make I will attempt a 4-5 day crock pot simmer.
*BB. I have wanted to try this cream with a commercial strain such as Big Bud and use the whole plant, flowers and all. Would save on the trimming and my idea is that this cream works so well with trimmings I am thinking that with flowers it would be even more effective (same for my butter recipe).

Oh, I forgot to add that the trimmings are dried and ground up into a flour like substance.Important point as 700g of leaves would need a room sized crock pot,ha-ha.Take care and be well my friends, but most of all be safe,Charles.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
im glad someone is bringing this to light. smoking isnt the only method!!!(although probably most enjoyable..) how do you know the strength?

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Charles welcome to IC Mag and thank you for posting your recipie with us. I hope I get a chance to try it some time. Anyone that does, your posting here in this thread would be greatly appreciated. DD

im glad someone is bringing this to light. smoking isnt the only method!!!(although probably most enjoyable..) how do you know the strength?

Hey Hippy,thanks for stopping by.As far as strength goes I am not sure there is any way for me to measure it other than its effectiveness for patients.On that regard its all been overwhelmingly postive,its part of the reason that when I am making up a batch its already gone before I start.It really does work like nothing I have ever used.I have not used it much other than for old guy stuff (bad knees,elbows,ect.)and it works great.The one thing is that it is a bit greasy.My method for the cream is the same as for my butter,low and slow,one more time,low and slow.

Application:My RA patient has me rub the mixture on their shoulder and I do a mini massage and work in the cream really well.I think the warmth of my hands and the rubbing motion help to really work the cream into the muscles/skin/joints.By the time I am done the area is usually nice and warm,albeit a bit greasy.With the scented oils it leaves a really nice aroma,the person is nice and relaxed and the edge is taken off from the discomfort.

Take care and be well my friends,and most of all be safe.Charles

Charles welcome to IC Mag and thank you for posting your recipie with us. I hope I get a chance to try it some time. Anyone that does, your posting here in this thread would be greatly appreciated. DD

Thanks for the welcome DD.I have been a lurker on these boards for many many years.I am hopeful that some of what I have learned (much of it from these boards) will help others.I too would most interested in how this works for other people.One of the things about giving out a recipe that you have used for years is that it I operate almost on auto pilot and am really hopeful that I havent missed any steps.I have this recipe written done somewhere but havent had to look at it for years.I welcome questions and challenges as it makes me think through the whole process that sometimes I take for granted.Take care and be well my friends,and most of all be safe.Charles.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Thanks for posting... that's great info! :thank you:

Have you ever tried making Holy Anointing oil?(there are links all over the web and here) I would imagine it would be pretty simple for you, since you already have all the necessary gear. :D

Stay Safe! :tree:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Welcome Charles, thanks for posting your recipe. Does it provide significant pain reduction? And do you see any problem with a quarter batch based on your recipe? Some of us out here in the valley of wod can not openly work with patients, and smaller batches make less waste during the learning curve. Thanks.
H

Update:

Sorry for the delay in responding to everyone.

Doobie, thanks for the kind words and the welcome.

Haps, yes I think you can quarter the recipe and be just fine.Read below to my modified portions,I am hopeful that will help.

Hydro, no I have not tried the oil you mentioned,I will certainly give it a look though.

Modified recipe: I have not made this lotion/balm/salve in over two years and just finished a batch and it may be my best yet.I used two crocks pots so I can detail the amounts for a single pot and from there it should be easy to pare down to the amount you have on hand.As I stated above I believe everything works because of portions.Rather than trying to "stretch" the recipe just load it up (relative to what you have on hand). Ok here we go:

-Olive Oil = 750ml
-Ground up Cannabis/leaves/trim =350 grams
-Bees Wax =50 to 60 grams (this is well less than half of what I was using before and makes for a smoother creamier lotion.Remember to keep it refrigerated. This might be one of my biggest improvements as the lotion isn't as "stiff", only need enough to give the lotion some body and to hold it together)
-Lanolin = 4oz bottle
-Lavender = 1 small bottle (depends on preference, for me one bottle is a bit over its head in battling the other smell,I might try two bottle next time,remember these are the tiny little ones)

I followed my regular recipe and methods except I only put in the crock pot for 24 hours and closely watched it the whole time.Any time I see little bubbles I turn it off for an hour or two and then back on.I am not sure if any more than one day is really necessary.

Results: I have gotten more positive feedback than I have ever gotten before on folks with MS, RA, Crones, and basic joint pain.Before I use it on someone I always do the doctor thing and warm it up in my hands first as its cold as hell.Remember to work it long enough so that your hands get warm.At that point things seem to really work well.I have some other uses I am going to try it on(people willing to let me experiment on, haha). I want to wait and see how it works first before I give out a report.

One other thing, this lotion is greasy so remember that before you lay down on your nice new sheets at night.Just a quick toweling off ought to do.

Hope this helps everyone.I am completely amazed as what this darn plant can do, its amazing.If what I am trying it on next works I will stunned at the versatility of this plant.Take care and be well everyone, but most of all be safe.Charles

Latest posts

Latest posts