What's new

Does having guns in the prescense of drugs increase penalty?

I heard that if you have a legally, liscened gun, even something like a 22 caliber rifle used for hunting small game, in the same area/house as a bunch of drugs, whether is just be weed or whatever, say a felony amount by state law... that the gun will automatically be added to the charge and can add 5 years to your sentence and the gun can be confiscated, regardless of any licensing on the gun no matter how legal it is.

Is this true? I've seen on a lot of cops and DEA shows them try to pull out this card, and to me it sounds rather absurd. Your liscened, low caliber, semiautomatic gun automatically becomes illegal and gets you 5 additional years, as a result of breaking 1 law? Sounds pretty fucked up to me.

What do you guys know about this?

I want to get a gun, either a 22 or a shotgun for personal home defense, as every american should have... but I don't want it to get me into some bullshit if they ever find plants in my house, or stashed bud. The guns would be perfectly legally in all aspects.

G

Guest 168361

its called criminal possession of a firearm and yes it increases the penalty
however guns kick ass so fuck it! also if some fucker breaks into your house to steal your shit wouldnt you rather be able to blow his ass away with a sweet gun? I would. thats why i have a gun. lol no but seriously it is an increased risk....so whatever you think

G

guest8905

ganja and guns dont mix

your penalty is pretty much doubled when you have a gun around an illegal activity

Damn... no gun for me then.... but I have a 8.7 million volt taser so I'll stick to that hahaha.

Does anyone have a link to this law, and does it vary from state to state or is it just a federal offense?

Also, what if the drug crime is just a misdemeanor, like minor possesion with a fine?

schwilly

I own guns. Guns are part of what makes america great.

None of my guns are ever in the same house or vehicle with cannabis.

Any sympathy or lenience in the court system vanishes when a gun is involved.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
It is called "Possession of a Firearm during the commission of a Felony"--
And yeah, 5 years enhancement is pretty standard--:tiphat:

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
yeah taz a cop!!! that should be pentalty free...fuck em all cops,snitches and rippers...I B here...

IB4TB

N

Nondual

A med friend in CO had his guns, and I mean plural, confiscated by the sheriff and the judge told him to give them back. No charges on that or anything else. A friend in Cali had a case go federal and he had a rifle and never entered into the mix of things or mentioned in court proceedings from what I remember.

It is called "Possession of a Firearm during the commission of a Felony"--
And yeah, 5 years enhancement is pretty standard--:tiphat:
Yep, and federal weapons charges are usually not eligible for parol or early release. If you get convicted, you can expect to do 100% of the time and will never be allowed to possess a firearm or ammunition again.
There is no legal possession of firearms when committing a crime.
You may get out of the drug charges in a plea, but the weapons charge normally is set in stone unless you have one hell of a lawyer.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so you want to grow pot, but you want a gun?

seems like your missing the point of growing / smoking

"even something like a 22 caliber rifle used for hunting small game"
"I want to get a gun, either a 22 or a shotgun for personal home defense"

so what is it, hunting game or humans?

I'm confused, once again

Grendelkhan

Basically it allows for them to throw more charges at you. Plus it lets the state bring your case to federal courts instead of the state courts. Which you don't want. I understand people wanting to protect themselves and their homes, however I think that the can of pepper spray and a taser is a better idea. At the end of the day if you can walk away from something with you health and your life, then your doing pretty good.

G

guest121295

Oh yeah, I try and keep my guns at another house, I think its one of the things you have to give up when you're a grower, I inherited a shit ton of weapons from my old man and I've just about gotten rid of most of them. I keep a couple shotguns at another house for shooting ducks and geese with my kids, its a cultural thing, rednecks and guns...:)

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
I had guns + drugs + scales...all they did was steal part of my guns..you never know when you are dealin with dishonest cocksuckers whose dick will get sucked

Rjstoner

keep smart and legal and you'll be fine. i have a few guns i keep them in a safe locked up away from my grow op and away from my ammo. i keep scales in the kitchen, you can always claim food useage even with trics on it since hash and buds are edible.
unless feds come your fine this way.

Rjstoner

I had guns + drugs + scales...all they did was steal part of my guns..you never know when you are dealin with dishonest cocksuckers whose dick will get sucked

if your guns and grow op was state legal and your guns were taken by state or local police i would lawyer up and get my shit back