What's new

Maxigro and Maxibloom with tap water

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Water ppms

Water ppms

Folks,

The content of the ppms' in the tap water is critical to understand.

300 ppm of calcium is one thing. 300 ppm of sodium is another. It is important not to just make statements about ppm's without knowing what those ppm's are made of.

Reading up about the SAR concept in water analysis might be a bit revealing.

I have farmed with water that everyone swore was salty, and yes it had quite a bit of sodium. But what saved the crop was the amount of calcium present along with the sodium.

This is also important to realize that without enough calcium, it is very easy for the plants to become over sensitive to potassium etc. only because there is not enough calcium present.

HydroGringo

Folks,

The content of the ppms' in the tap water is critical to understand.

300 ppm of calcium is one thing. 300 ppm of sodium is another. It is important not to just make statements about ppm's without knowing what those ppm's are made of.

Reading up about the SAR concept in water analysis might be a bit revealing.

I have farmed with water that everyone swore was salty, and yes it had quite a bit of sodium. But what saved the crop was the amount of calcium present along with the sodium.

This is also important to realize that without enough calcium, it is very easy for the plants to become over sensitive to potassium etc. only because there is not enough calcium present.

Amazing. Makes a lot of sense

audiohi

Veteran
You can get a comprehensive analysis here:

http://www.jrpeters.com/lab-services/analysis.html

Before I switched to the MUCH cheaper jrpeters hydro ferts, I was very happy with the maxi products. Although KISS always worked, I too used maxigro in veg and slightly into bloom. As pointed out earlier, growth is just plain better without the need to slam it with high ppms to get the appropriate nitrogen.

MoPho

If you are talking 14 grams of Maxibloom and 7 grams of Maxigro a gallon, that is too much for a plant isn't it?

For 1 gallon I would do 5grams of MB and 2.5 grams of MG (if you round up the MG to 3 grams-I don't think it will hurt). But to make things easier you can make 3 gallons and go with 14g of MB and 7g of MG. OR make 1 gallon with 14g of MB and 7g of MG and that would be your concentrated solution which you can dilute before using.

MoPho

"IMO a wider range of ph gives the plants a better chance of absorbing more nutrients than setting it at one target. I understand a lot of people are saying best ph is 5.8, but I honestly don't believe in the one size fit all theory. While 5.8 (or whatever) is a good general target, I think it can vary from strain to strain and environmental conditions can come into play. By letting the ph fluctuate a bit it can help prevent certain nutes being locked out while overfeeding on others."

With that being said as long as you can keep your ph between 5.5-6.5 you should be golden (even a little lower or higher won't do too much harm). I was advised that during veg you want your ph on the lower end and during 12/12 on the higher end.

But most importantly DON'T TRY TO HIT and MAINTAIN an exact target. It will drive you nuts....trust me I've had more than my fair share of pulling my hair out trying to do so. LOL

A little bit of fluctuation is key.

Last edited:

MoPho

Another piece of advice I can give is to leave the additives out of your res/base nutes. What I do instead is have all my additives in a sprayer.
1. Make the additives go much further (save on $)
2. More easily utilized by the plants
3. If there are any problems with your plant it can be easier to diagnose the cause by process of elimination.

Sorry for all the posts. Anyways those are just my .02

Happy growing

HydroGringo

For 1 gallon I would do 5grams of MB and 2.5 grams of MG (if you round up the MG to 3 grams-I don't think it will hurt). But to make things easier you can make 3 gallons and go with 14g of MB and 7g of MG. OR make 1 gallon with 14g of MB and 7g of MG and that would be your concentrated solution which you can dilute before using.

Oh my goodness! Thanks for all the tips! You have changed my mind dramatically!

HydroGringo

Before I switched to the MUCH cheaper jrpeters hydro ferts, I was very happy with the maxi products. Although KISS always worked, I too used maxigro in veg and slightly into bloom. As pointed out earlier, growth is just plain better without the need to slam it with high ppms to get the appropriate nitrogen.

Thanks buddy, I will be giving them a call. I called a lab and they are charging $400 dollars to test tap water.

420MEDKIT

I'm not alone

I'm not alone

My tap water is at 350ppm (0.7 EC) and 7.5 ph
[RTW hand water] I will be growing in Coco coir with three 3 gallon fabric pots using
-Maxigro
-Maxibloom
-Cal-mag plus
-Silica blast
-Liquid Karma
-Bio-cozyme
-Coco-wet
-SM-90
-PH up & PH down
*Please help* any advice will be useful on this lineup of nutes/additives/water etc.
It's not only for me but for everyone that stops by. I'm a first time grower and your time and experience will be gladly appreciated

Thank you for including us viewers. I'm new as well and is loving this thread. I'll be getting this line up as well. Please keep me updated on your progress.

HydroGringo

Thank you for including us viewers. I'm new as well and is loving this thread. I'll be getting this line up as well. Please keep me updated on your progress.

Yes I will. I'm glad I haven't gotten the light I orderd because it's taught me to be more patient. I've been learning on a day to day and have all the nutes/additives already including the pesticides Gognats, nuke em and some white fly traps. Make sure your ready for battle because the bugs will go to war!

MoPho

My tap water is at 350ppm (0.7 EC) and 7.5 ph
[RTW hand water] I will be growing in Coco coir with three 3 gallon fabric pots using
-Maxigro
-Maxibloom
-Cal-mag plus
-Silica blast
-Liquid Karma
-Bio-cozyme
-Coco-wet
-SM-90
-PH up & PH down
*Please help* any advice will be useful on this lineup of nutes/additives/water etc.
It's not only for me but for everyone that stops by. I'm a first time grower and your time and experience will be gladly appreciated

You can probably throw out the
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
-Liquid Karma (kelp powder and fulvic powder can be source cheap online-stop paying for water. Both are roughly $15-20lb at 1/8tsp-1/4tsp per gallon. One pound will last you a while especially if you go the foliar route)
-Bio-cozym (pond enzyme will work at a much lower cost, get one that has barley if you find it. If you are using tap water with chlorine. It's going to kill any beneficial bennies anyways.)

-SM-90 I've used it and can honestly say...I didn't notice a difference, but that's just me.

-Coco Wet never used it so can't comment
[/FONT]

I've used plain old aspirin (non-coated) to help with stress and promote root growth with pretty good results. You can get them at the dollar store. 350mg (1pill) per gallon. Use it during cloning, veg and early flower. Do a search and you can see other people who uses it also.

HydroGringo

'~$*Graduated*$~'

'~$*Graduated*$~'

You can probably throw out the
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
-Liquid Karma (kelp powder and fulvic powder can be source cheap online-stop paying for water. Both are roughly $15-20lb at 1/8tsp-1/4tsp per gallon. One pound will last you a while especially if you go the foliar route)
-Bio-cozym (pond enzyme will work at a much lower cost, get one that has barley if you find it. If you are using tap water with chlorine. It's going to kill any beneficial bennies anyways.)

-SM-90 I've used it and can honestly say...I didn't notice a difference, but that's just me.

-Coco Wet never used it so can't comment
[/FONT]

I've used plain old aspirin (non-coated) to help with stress and promote root growth with pretty good results. You can get them at the dollar store. 350mg (1pill) per gallon. Use it during cloning, veg and early flower. Do a search and you can see other people who uses it also.

This pond enzyme has barley and says it's safe for plants 😎. Can you take a look at it coach and tell me what you think? "I'm rich biatch!"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...ond+enzyme&dpPl=1&dpID=51JcdmwDyhL&ref=plSrch

MoPho

This pond enzyme has barley and says it's safe for plants 😎. Can you take a look at it coach and tell me what you think? "I'm rich biatch!"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...ond+enzyme&dpPl=1&dpID=51JcdmwDyhL&ref=plSrch

That's the same one I have, but like I said before if there is chlorine in your water. Adding any type of living enzyme will be moot. The chlorine or chloramine will kill those bennies.

RO water will NOT get rid of chloramine. If that's what you have in your water I suggest you run a dead/sterile res (adding .5-1ml of bleach per gallon of water). You don't have to add bleach everyday once a week should be enough unless you have pathogen.

HydroGringo

I'm stoked for the $ saving next round

I'm stoked for the $ saving next round

That's the same one I have, but like I said before if there is chlorine in your water. Adding any type of living enzyme will be moot. The chlorine or chloramine will kill those bennies.

RO water will NOT get rid of chloramine. If that's what you have in your water I suggest you run a dead/sterile res (adding .5-1ml of bleach per gallon of water). You don't have to add bleach everyday once a week should be enough unless you have pathogen.

Thanks a lot buddy. I'll be getting the kelp/fulvic/silicate/pond-zyme powders as soon as liquid karma/silica blast/bio-cozyme runs out.

I heard bio-cozyme is added last because by that time chlorine and chloramine bind with the salt and renders.

I'll be looking in on your aspirin method as well.

"ATTENTION ALL VIEWERS! IF YOUR IN MY SITUATION OR THINKING ABOUT GOING WITH MY FIRST LINE UP ROUTE. PLEASE GO TO THE SECOND ROUT MoPho HAS SUGGESTED. It's a no brainer."

MoPho

Oh I just remembered, you can make your own silicate by getting Agsil 16h. 560g added to 1 gallon of water will give you the same formula as Dyna-Gro Protekt (at 1/5 of the cost). Protekt roughly $45/gallon. Agsil 16h $33/5lbs with shipping (4 gallons worth).

People said to use RO water when mixing, but I've done it with regular tap with no problems.

MoPho

Thanks a lot buddy. I'll be getting the kelp/fulvic/silicate/pond-zyme powders as soon as liquid karma/silica blast/bio-cozyme runs out.

I heard bio-cozyme is added last because by that time chlorine and chloramine bind with the salt and renders.

I'll be looking in on your aspirin method as well.

"ATTENTION ALL VIEWERS! IF YOUR IN MY SITUATION OR THINKING ABOUT GOING WITH MY FIRST LINE UP ROUTE. PLEASE GO TO THE SECOND ROUT MoPho HAS SUGGESTED. It's a no brainer."

As far as the aspirin goes....if you decide to water daily with the aspirin in your nutes like I do. I would go 1-2pills per 10 gallons. I tend to caution on the little side of things. But if you decide to only add aspirin once a week then 1 pill per gallon should be ok.

Latest posts

Latest posts