What's new

Appalachian Adventure 2016 (Let's Learn Some Shit)

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Hey friends,

Some of you have already seen my first thread this season about being off to a rough start. I'm down to 4 (well, more like 3 n a half; you'll see) Spontanicas that were germinated either June 3rd or 4th. Late to the party and don't have much, but it is what it is.

Since I don't have numbers this year, I'm making my emphasis this year on doing the best that I can with what I've got and, more importantly, learning as much as I can. I had a moment when I was crawling under some thick brush and realized that the season isn't a wash because I'm not going to harvest as much as I did last year... rather, it's an opportunity to take my time, focus, and become a better grower.

And that's what I'm here to do. I'm making this thread with an emphasis on doing things better, having a place to write shit down to be better organized, and learning a lot. I hope everyone who stops by joins the conversation, and I hope that we can all learn a thing or two :tiphat:

Keep in mind I'm strictly guerrilla for right now, but I'm planning to change that next year. I'm not looking horrible financially (in the big picture) so maybe next summer I can move somewhere and have some backyard girls - but that doesn't mean I'm leaving the guerrilla game behind! Call me Harambe...

Now on with it.

Here's what I'm working with. These pics were taken yesterday:

Found one girl broken in the middle, laying over but alive. Cut some rope, grabbed some tape, and fixed her up. (Had a nagging feeling before I went that I'd need tape... made a point to remember it and what do ya know...) I think she'll rebound well.
picture.php

The rest are all pretty healthy.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The soil is native soil with insect frass, basalt rock dust, gypsum, and lime mixed in. Pretty simple. but it's pretty decent for a guerrilla grow. Been feeding with Jack's Classic 20-20-20 as well as watering in more insect frass.

Next year I think I'm gonna go with a living mulch like Schrews has, but for now I've just got some hay out there.

Sprayed last week with neem oil, sprayed yesterday with Greencure. Gonna give em another spray of either Greencure or tea tree oil later this week. Can't play games with PM/blight anymore.

Welcome, all. Have fun, and keep me on my shit.

gorilla ganja

Good job and great attitude DuskrayTroubador.
A guerrilla has to deal with adversity because we all know that's about all we get out in the wilderness.
I also had a rough start this year, drowning a few and some injuries. But as the clouds clear things are looking sunny again.:biggrin:

If you only have a few out and want to maximize yield you may want to do some training, tie them down to help force some extra side branching and a full canopy.

Also not to late to start some ground cover. White clover is excellent as it doesn't grow tall, fixes nitrogen into the soil. And even if it doesn't grow much this season will grow back next season so you can just plug and play next yr.

Best of luck and may all your Buds be Huge.

Peace GG

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
yeah looks good so far, lets see how its doing.

greez

Good job and great attitude DuskrayTroubador.
A guerrilla has to deal with adversity because we all know that's about all we get out in the wilderness.
I also had a rough start this year, drowning a few and some injuries. But as the clouds clear things are looking sunny again.:biggrin:

If you only have a few out and want to maximize yield you may want to do some training, tie them down to help force some extra side branching and a full canopy.

Also not to late to start some ground cover. White clover is excellent as it doesn't grow tall, fixes nitrogen into the soil. And even if it doesn't grow much this season will grow back next season so you can just plug and play next yr.

Best of luck and may all your Buds be Huge.

Peace GG

Thanks for the kind words. GG, do you think white clover sticks out like a sore thumb from the air? I suppose no more than hay, but idk. If not, I'll pick some up when I go to the ag store. Gotta get some pelletized nutes to lay down as I make my way to the plot.

As far as training, I've always taken the supercropping approach. I figure I can supercrop them once now and again in two weeks. Tying them down has always sketched me out for some reason. I have fungi paranoia, and I've never done it before and with so few plants, I'm worried I'll fuck something up or stunt them too much. Right now I want to train them, but nothing too paradigm shifting for them; I want them to focus on growing rather than adjusting if that makes sense. I could be speaking totally out of my ass though.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Here are some pics from today. I went out and watered in some more insect frass and sprayed them with tea tree oil as a fungicide. Smells quite nice.

Unfortunately, I've already got what looks like early PM.

picture.php

picture.php

Aside from that though, the plants are looking pretty good. All the pics were taken before I supercropped them. Gotta get some more horizontal growth to fatten 'em up and round em out. These are 4 days after the previous pics above.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
...and last but not least, here's the one I had to tape up last time I was out there.

She's pretty fucked up, but she'll pull through okay I think.

picture.php

gorilla ganja

If there is green plants around the clover will blend in nicely.
It can stick out in the fall when everything yellows and the extra fertilizer around the MJ plants keeps the clover green. I just cut it down a bit and leave it on top and it is great camo.

Cheers GG

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
If there is green plants around the clover will blend in nicely.
It can stick out in the fall when everything yellows and the extra fertilizer around the MJ plants keeps the clover green. I just cut it down a bit and leave it on top and it is great camo.

Cheers GG

...so the white clover isn't white? lol

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Asheville is definitely a cool town. Boone is another cool college town. It's probably changed a good bit since I was there though.

Regarding the film on your leaves I don't think you have early PM yet. It's like foliar sprays that have dried and left behind a residue. Just keep your eye on it and if it starts to look furry then you have PM.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
it does have white flowers but nothing you would see from the air.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=...qINROThIaW-n3oKj8dagGu5A&ust=1468880199096928

Ah, I see! Gonna get me some. Can I sow it over the hay or should I move the hay, sow, and put the hay back?

Asheville is definitely a cool town. Boone is another cool college town. It's probably changed a good bit since I was there though.

Regarding the film on your leaves I don't think you have early PM yet. It's like foliar sprays that have dried and left behind a residue. Just keep your eye on it and if it starts to look furry then you have PM.

Did you go to Warren Wilson? If so, do you know comedian/podcaster Duncan Trussell?

Holy shit you just blew my mind. I've seen that shit every year and it never fucking occurred to me what it could be. That makes so much sense now... I was thinking no fucking way they had PM already, it's been fairly dry.

Humidity is a bitch, though. Not-so-hidden danger.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
No I went to App State. I spent my fair share of nights raging in Asheville though, great town. That's where I was planning on moving to if Colorado didn't work out for me but Colorado worked out quite well. If I ever go back to NC that's the area I'll end up at. :yes:

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
No I went to App State. I spent my fair share of nights raging in Asheville though, great town. That's where I was planning on moving to if Colorado didn't work out for me but Colorado worked out quite well. If I ever go back to NC that's the area I'll end up at. :yes:

No problems with fracking where you're at in CO? Looks like a great state with pretty decent outdoor prospects, but that fracking nonsense has all the air polluted.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
all looking good bro. hopefully u can smash that PM before it gets started. i sent u these in PM but i will post pics here to. here is my panama and lemon skunk

Latest posts

Latest posts