What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Beans Basement. Coco & Bagseeds!

bean82

Hey fellow growers. :tiphat:
After a 6-7 year break from growing, I'm back at it again. I now have the space to grow and since I'm on a tight budget after quiting my job and going back to school, I thought it would be a good idea to start growing my own smoke again!
I moved around some of the stuff stored in one of the unused rooms of the basement, to make room for the grow. Boarded up the window which is facing the street, to eliminate light leaks from outside and so the HID lights wont draw any unwanted attention, when messing around with the plants.
In the grow room, I now have a DIY cab for moms and/or vegging, and a tent for flowering.
Starting this diary to keep track of the grow and get some critique/help from all you green thumbs.

Veg cab is 56cm*58cm*110cm, but is not in use at the moment. Had too much trouble with the heat from the 150w MH. I'll buy a 50w LED for the cab in a month or so, so I can keep a few bonsai moms and veg root clones.
The cab is ventilated by a bathroom extractor fan pulling 100m3/hr. Passive intake. Walls covered with mylar.

Flowering tent is 1m*1m*1,8m, and the light is a 400w HPS. Ventilation is a Lindab inline extractor fan. I'm not really sure bout how much air it's pulling, since I bought it 2nd hand and the guy wasn't sure. He said at least 180m3/hr. So far I have no problems keeping the canopy temp at 24-25c, RH 40-50% and a negative pressure in the tent, so I guess it's sufficient. I silenced the motor by putting it in a box filled with old t-shirts, and fitted a muffler on the exhaust.

All my previous grows have been in soil, but I've tried out coco for this grow. Using canna A+B and Growth Technology PH Down. got some Canna PK 13-14 for later.

Feel free to comment or ask questions.

Now on to the logging!
4th Feb. I germinated a handful of seeds from my collection of bagseeds. Thinking some wouldn't sprout, I threw 22 seeds i water. 20 hours later, half had cracked and was showing the tap root. I threw them all i small pots with coco and into the veg cab.

The first 3 sprouts broke the surface 7th feb. On the 11th all sprouts had broke the surface, and I had to move them all to the tent because of heat issues. Cuoldn't keep the temps down.
After making some ghetto cooling of the shitty reflector I got, heat hasn't been an issue at all. Not even when switching to the 400W HPS.

Seedlings in their new home 11th Feb. 100% of the seeds germed. Not what I expected and I'm afraid I'll end up having to throw away the worst looking plants, if I get too many girls.
img6934x.jpg

DIY cooling
img6960a.jpg

15th Feb I repotted to 5,7L pots, which will be their final home. Also changed to HPS bulb.
img6964by.jpg

img6990s.jpg

bean82

16th of Feb. Switched the light to 12/12. Gonna try the DLR method where you reduce the light for each week, for the first couple of weeks of flowering. Gonna end up at 9/15 or 8/16 for the last couple of weeks. Don't remember right now, since I'm high and had a lot of other stuff to read up on, first. It wont be an issue till they actually start flowering, so I still got time to get up to speed on that.

22nd of Feb.
They all look like they're doing well. But one has almost exploded and is twice the size of the other bigger plants. Really hoping for a female there...
img7013ry.jpg

Big (hopefully) Mama!
img7016x.jpg

That's it. Now all I can do is keep them happy, stay calm and wait for them to show their sex. I guess that's what it must be like, hanging out in a whore house in Thailand.
Happy growing all! Back to reading. See you around the board!

B

BasementGrower

good start.. any idea what strains u got from the bagseed? like what kinda buds u pulled the seeds outa.?

bean82

The seeds are from app 2oz of MJ labeled Chuncky Cheese. 2 buds were packed with seeds, the rest clean.
I don't trust the dealers when it comes to strains though. People selling where I buy my weed are only in it for the money, and I've seen dealers mixing what was supposed to be bags of 2 different strains, to make room for new smoke in their stand. (it's kind of a market place. Small street with 20+ stands) But what's to expect from a market run by Hells Angels and local gangs?
Chuncky cheese is supposed to be sativa dominant, as far as I've read. And the plants seem more indica dominant to me. Short spacing between nodes and wide leafs.
I have seeds from what's supposed to be pineapple express, super silver haze, amnesia haze and chuncky cheese. And 100+ unlabeled, besides that. So there's enough seeds to play around with and I'm thinking of making fem seeds on the best looking plants.
It was great smoke though, so i'm excited to see what I'll end up with.
Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:

Jnugg

Veteran
Life is like a bagfull of random bagseed,you never know what you're gonna get...and sometimes you find something very magical..GL to you bro,plants are looking good so far.

bean82

Hahaha, amen to that Jnugg! And thank you!
Glad you stopped by. Your setup is pretty similar to mine, and following your vert grow is probably going to answer some of the situations/problems I'll be messing with, when I convert. It's always nice to be ahead :biggrin:

bean82

23th of feb.
Still growing strong!!!

img7042y.jpg

Taking a closer look at the plants, I found a few spots on the leafs of a couple of them. The plants doesn't look like they need anything nutewise. Leafs are a uniform green and so are the stems. New growth looks healthy. No leaf curling or clawing. No drooping. No bugs to be seen with the nakes eye.
Could it be from drops of water I didn't see and brush off, during watering? I think I remember reading something many years ago about waterdrops being able to "burn" the leaf, if left there in strong light?
A couple of pictures of the spots:

img7036ox.jpg

img7037r.jpg

This plant also have some wierd growth going on. I should maybe have higlighted the area I'm thinking of, but it should be pretty obvious. Could this just be mutated growth, caused by bad genes? The plant doesn't look infected my any pests, and judging by the amount of leaf missing, it should be a pretty big bug, or a whole lot of small ones, and therefore easy to spot, if pests was the problem.
Any ideas?

img7038e.jpg

The lights are out in the tent, and I'll spend the rest of the night in the company of a friend and some Purple Haze(supposedly).
Have a nice evening out there!

img7030t.jpg

bean82

25th of Feb, day 20 from seed.
Watered and rearranged the plants. Almost every pot have roots coming out the bottom!
Temps 24c, RH 54% after watering. 2 are showing a bit of rust spots. Will have to buy some Epsom salt. Besides that, everyhting looks great!

img7046n.jpg

img7049f.jpg

sneaky_g

I'm pretty sure you have a pest of some sort.. By the chomped on new shoot in the one picture. You are in canna coco, right? I've heard the RA is in alot of grow shops, gotta be real careful.. I just made pure knowledge organic mix and some how ended up with the RA. Had to throw out all my mothers salvage what little harvest i'll get, and bomb the entire place, wipe down, and start over from seed. I will also be mixing a product called met 52 which is a natural fungus pellet granule that is basically a 100 % preventitive for Root aphids.

The thing about root aphids that is scary is their life cycle. And the fact that they are a-sexual. Fungus gnats are as easy to take care of as dropping a mosquito dunk, but if you have the RA that dunk won't do shit for you.

My suggestion would be to get a 30x loop and really inspect the underside of all your leaves.. It takes practice to get good at using it , but its worthwhile imo. Plants look great other than those few spots.. If you do find root aphids (They could be in the larvae stage, but they hide very well), don't fuck around with the nasty pesticides, go buy met 52, and you will solve your problems.. thats ur worst case scenario.. maybe thrips? either way you'll need a 30x to see

bean82

Hey Sneaky, thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:
I'm not that happy to hear about pests. I do have another idea about what could have caused the effed up leaf. I knocked over the thermometer, onto a plant that got squashed, when watering one day.. I rearrange my plant the same way each time, so looking back, I'm pretty sure this plant was in the row where the thermometer is placed, and could easily be the one that got squashed.
I guess a freshly sprouted young leaf could easily be damaged, ending up looking like this?

I'm doubting this is a pest problem due to a couple of things.
The first thing is that I'm in Scandinavia. The temps outside are below 0c most of the time, so not really a climate for pests to thrive in, and get spreaded around. I don't have any aother plants in my appartment, so now sources of that kind.. I just can't see where they should come from atm. In a month or so when spring really kicks in, it would be possible, no doubt.

The second thing is, I didn't rinse the coco well enough prior to use, (to make it all worse) so I've been watering till a pretty heavy runoff (30-50%) every 2-3 day. I suspect that the EC has been way too high and I've been locking out nutes. Actually I didn't start getting a light and clear runoff till todays watering. I don't have a EC meter, so I can't check the EC. Other things are on the list which I'd rather buy first, such as carbonfilter, more A+B, and an extra fan for air movement.

Third is, that I didn't feed the seedlings anything the first week, and just prepared the coco with PH'ed water. They've been underfed from day 1. It's the second and third set leaves that is showing spots. The set of leafs they were producing when I started feeding them with a light mix, and nutes probably were locked out. All new growth are green and fresh, growing at a nice rate.

I've checked out the leafs and branches with a 30x loupe, and checked out the 8 drainholes on each pot, of the 2 plants, with a 60x microscope. Nothing to see but coco and roots. Nothing moving, nothing egg-like.
I'm gonna keep my eyes open, and check them regularly. Both leafs and roots. But for now, I'm gonna wait and see how they'll do.
Thank you for your advice, though. I'm gonna stay on top of this. Read up a bit, on RA and fungus gnats. More reading is needed!

bean82

I did, btw, also take some of the top soil and checked with the 60x microscope. Nothing to see there either.
I suspect a Mg def, cause I haven't fed any CalMag at all. Been relying on my tap water which has app 120mg/ltr Ca and app 20mg/ltr Mg. That, combined with the dirty coco, I think is causing the minor issue. The next few days will tell!

B

BIGBADBAZ

hey good luck with your grow matey bet it feels good to be back at growing your own percy again! i think from the look of that leaf damage you maybe have a few weevils hiding out somewhere i hate the little fu--ers they can strip a full leaf in one night! there like little black beetles that only come out at night when the lights are off! just keep an eye out for anymore leaf damage and if theres no more its probly something else but if theres more its defo weevils and the best way to catch em is lay some damp coragated cardboard in a few places and every few days throw it away and put some more down do that for a week or so and you have a good chance of catching them as they like to find damp dark places to hide out until the lights go out and they know youve gone again1 give it a try if the damage continues thats how i got rid of them in my groom! atb matey as always nuff respect..

bean82

Hey BBB!
Thank you and YES. It feels great being back growing. Been missing it far more than I thought. I love this hobby!
Also thank you, for your advice regarding the effed leaf! Yours and Sneaky' advices have given me some pointers on what to look for, and most important of all, solutions if I have said problem. This is why I love the internet and boards like this. Knowledge. Knowledge everywhere!

Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:

bean82

1st of March. Day 24 from seed. Everything is growing. Had to trim bits of some of the fan leafs today. Things were getting way too packed in there, and some of the taller plants had started to outshade the smaller ones. The trimming and a bit of rearranging took care of that. I can't wait for them to show their sex, so I can get the number of plants down. Would prefer 16. The plants are from 10 to 30cm. A+B is 60-70% of what is suggested on the bottle. Each plant got fed ½ltr today, have to up that a bit next time.

img7058z.jpg

img7060a.jpg

B

BIGBADBAZ

hey all is lookin good my freind hope they show there sex soon
and as alwayz nuff respect.....

bean82

hey all is lookin good my freind hope they show there sex soon
and as alwayz nuff respect.....

Thanks BBB! Glad to see you around!

2nd of March. Day 25 from seed.
Looking through the plants today, I found 11 looking like females. No sign of males though, so no reduction in number of plants, yet.

Pre flowers:

img7097d.jpg

img7092j.jpg

img7084n.jpg

2 of the pretty ladies

img7075c.jpg

img7085p.jpg

First lady is only half the size of the second. Thanks to the wonderful variety of bagseed genetics, I guess.

bean82

Fun thread. I've got a bagseed fetish!
Feel free to pop in, from time to time! :tiphat:

March 3rd, day 26 from seed.
It's only been 27 hours since I updated, yesterday, but I checked the plants a few hours ago and to my surprise, I was seeing tiny to small sized pistils on 20 out of 22 plants.
I'm afraid I'm gonna end up with alot of hermies. But thats what you get, when you take the chance on bagseeds I guess.
On the other hand, I guess there's the chance that the seeds are from a plant that selfpolinated from ligh stress or w/e, and I'll end up with a few hermies, but alot of girls. Time will tell!!
Because of the - seemingly - high amount of females, I threw away 2 plants so that i have 20 left, 18 showing pistils. I threw away the ones that showed signs of nute defs. Why bother with a few trouble makers, when everyone else is happy? Beans basement ain't no democracy. Gender discrimination and execution based on looks, are among the things to expect within these borders!

Streching has begun.
img7103m.jpg

Trouble makers that are now history! (Leafs pictured not the only ones with spots)
img7106e.jpg

img7107r.jpg

Roots on one of the "executed" ones.
img7110js.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts