What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for a growers job in Colorado

Being willing to eat shit is going to be a huge part of success for older and more experienced persons in this new age of the industry. Having to listen to a 21 year old working their first weed job try to talk about terpenes without correcting them instantly is genuinely painful.

Most people as experienced as us are either banned from the legitimate industry, or already entrenched in it, transitional periods aren't common for those types, so our struggle is actually hard to relate to for the average person in today's industry.

Last edited:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Being willing to eat shit is going to be a huge part of success for older and more experienced persons in this new age of the industry. Having to listen to a 21 year old working their first weed job try to talk about terpenes without correcting them instantly is genuinely painful.

Most people as experienced as us are either banned from the legitimate industry, or already entrenched in it, transitional periods aren't common for those types, so our struggle is actually hard to relate to for the average person in today's industry.

I don’t mind taking direction from a younger person if their product is good. I just don’t want to work for a company that has a low quality product and wants to pay me an unlivable wage.

I think I am going to have to do this the slow way. I’m going to have to go complete my degree and keep growing legal small batches on the side to keep my portfolio up to date.

In the meanwhile I can continue to do some consulting.

I don’t mind taking direction from a younger person if their product is good. I just don’t want to work for a company that has a low quality product and wants to pay me an unlivable wage.

I think I am going to have to do this the slow way. I’m going to have to go complete my degree and keep growing legal small batches on the side to keep my portfolio up to date.

In the meanwhile I can continue to do some consulting.
Youth tends to bring a certain level of arrogance, when that arrogance perpetuates over time, it spreads to others, all of a sudden everyone is an expert in everything, regardless of actual experience or education, and there's no room left for them to learn, because they think they already know.

I'm nothing if not stoic, outlasted many who came before me, will outlast many who come after...

"The Old Man in the Weed", a book report written by a day laborer I hired outside Home Depot:

"There is an old man, and his job is to grow the weed, so he could make the money. One day, he goes out into the fields, and his weed, it was gone. ... *sniff* So he make no money..."

I just wish experience, education, and hard work had as nearly much importance in our industry as social connections, friendships, and drama.

Last edited:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Youth tends to bring a certain level of arrogance, when that arrogance perpetuates over time, it spreads to others, all of a sudden everyone is an expert in everything, regardless of actual experience or education, and there's no room left for them to learn, because they think they already know.

I'm nothing if not stoic, outlasted many who came before me, will outlast many who come after...

"The Old Man in the Weed", a book report written by a day laborer I hired outside Home Depot:

"There is an old man, and his job is to grow the weed, so he could make the money. One day, he goes out into the fields, and his weed, it was gone. ... *sniff* So he make no money..."

I just wish experience, education, and hard work had as nearly much importance in our industry as social connections, friendships, and drama.

The weed industry is still in its clickish high school phase.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Douchebags abound in this industry now. Taking directions from someone obviously gonna toss ya under the bus when they get all the info you have seems to be the rule.

Increase their yields 33% and then be ready to move on. All they want is the pivotal, and lucrative info ya can provide.

Only defense seems to be to save every $ you can, cause there is nothing keeping the tool from tossin ya. Then they usually claim you stole from them, even though you would have had hundreds of oppty to do so and never did. Which is why ya lasted so long there in the first place..

Also, many 'owners' are terrified of males, and surround themselves with females and gay men, as they feel safer,

All rules are always off in the black market. Maybe real jobs are a bit different. We shall see.

I am considering starting up solo again, while this state gets it's shizzle together

Also, many 'owners' are terrified of males, and surround themselves with females and gay men, as they feel safer
Truth, happening in real life. This is why my persona at work makes me come across as an older effeminate gay man, Nathan Lane stuffed full of edibles.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think I want to start a Colorado,growers union. I have considered it in the past and now I’m considering it again. It’s time to put the corporate shills in their place.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
I'm not in Colorado but there is so much truth on these forums, it's reassuring to know you aren't alone at the very least.

I won't attempt to give any examples but as you say shills and snake oil peddlers abound in this new cannabis business or industry. Expensive equipment and grow operations have come before any real training. People are dressed up as though everything including the kitchen sink and rubber mats on the floor deserve the highest inflated medical grade certified price imaginable. Such an aggressive attempt to replace people with machines (and educating, investing in workers) is blatant.

People in our society may have become accustomed to having no rights. You are expected to commute three hours and work three part time jobs which offer no benefits if you have children and did not graduate from Harvard. At which point you will not have much time of your own for children or anything else. This is different from a single union factory job supplying a salary for a family of four. As I believe others are alluding to, corporate grows largely do not wait trained or talented people other than to exploit and then accuse, sue, etc.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just an update. No luck in finding anything worth working at in the industry right now. Meanwhile I keep moving up in my day job and getting raises, so not all is bad. The company I work for are good people and are investing in teaching me all kinds of new things. I’m having a great time growing my personal stash plants too. Life ain’t bad. I’d still love to find a good grow job though. I do miss it.

Last edited:

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
That's crazy hash. Id think a person of your ability and years of experience would have no problem finding a greenhouse/ warehouse to run.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's crazy hash. Id think a person of your ability and years of experience would have no problem finding a greenhouse/ warehouse to run.

They don’t care about my experience, skill set, or work ethic out here. They act as if the only experience that matters is experience in Colorado. I got lucky at my current job. They’re cool people. It’s weird though, the rest of the people I’ve met out here are very cliquish, elitist and stuck up. They think their shit doesn’t stink. They act as if anyone that moves here that wasn’t born here is ruining their state. Which up until not long ago was one of the biggest KKK strong holds in the country, so if anything we are fixing their state. I love the mountains here, and it’s beautiful, but I may move in a few years. They also would want me to start at 11-13 an hour, and I can’t afford to make that little. I’m an adult with adult responsibilities. Also I can’t afford to move to the areas where grows are, and I don’t want to commute. For the last 11 years I’ve lived at my grow. During that time, I realized how much driving two hours a day in a metal coffin in traffic is a horrible thing for a person to do to their self.

Last edited:

highsteppa

Veteran
I think a lot of it is a about a who -knows -who for a recommendation sort of thing and will say some biz dealings we’ve had have been unprofessional and would never fly in a non-cannabis hort sector. Los suenos farm is hiring

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think a lot of it is a about a who -knows -who for a recommendation sort of thing and will say some biz dealings we’ve had have been unprofessional and would never fly in a non-cannabis hort sector. Los suenos farm is hiring

That’s funny because the lack of professionalism I’ve seen in grows here are far worse than all the black market grows I’ve ever dealt with in California. Lol

CaptainDankness

They don’t care about my experience, skill set, or work ethic out here. They act as if the only experience that matters is experience in Colorado. I got lucky at my current job. They’re cool people. It’s weird though, the rest of the people I’ve met out here are very cliquish, elitist and stuck up. They think their shit doesn’t stink. They act as if anyone that moves here that wasn’t born here is ruining their state. Which up until not long ago was one of the biggest KKK strong holds in the country, so if anything we are fixing their state. I love the mountains here, and it’s beautiful, but I may move in a few years. They also would want me to start at 11-13 an hour, and I can’t afford to make that little. I’m an adult with adult responsibilities. Also I can’t afford to move to the areas where grows are, and I don’t want to commute. For the last 11 years I’ve lived at my grow. During that time, I realized how much driving two hours a day in a metal coffin in traffic is a horrible thing for a person to do to their self.
Yeah, it's fucked up I checked out Oregon because a friend use to get $20 an hour to trim and help with the farm but that was before recreational marijuana. On Craigslist the best I seen was $12 an hour. I don't know how good Walmart pays out there but I just seen a Walmart starting at $12 an hour even a grocery store and I'd rather fuck off working at them places than sit and trim weed all day. Not too mention you can make a lot more than $12 with a real job and still grow weed on the side. :biggrin:

blowingupjake

So then leave. You clearly know more about Colorado then us and find it unsuitable and unsavory. Here’s some news for you- we didn’t want you in the first place.

I literally LOL at your KKK remark- every state has its dirty laundry, you’re mentioning something from DECADES ago, dude.

The reality is 15 years ago CO was an amazing place to live full of unspoiled splendor and beauty. Now, with the recent population boom, our state parks are having to shut down whole sections of trail to clean up mans filth, no one can afford to live here anymore and there are more entitled people like you who think your experience makes you some sort of gift to CO weed. I could go on and on.
Come down to the real world man.

I know my fair share of recent transplants and I’ve only got a couple that I actually like. The rest expect something for nothing, talk tons of shit about us very frustrated natives and have no respect for what used to be a great place to live. You all take this for granted cause that’s how it is in Cali- plunder every beautiful thing so you can stick a house there and make big bucks. It’s really, really hard to watch and quite sickening.

We won’t miss you when you go but please send a post card so we know you’re gone.
:tiphat:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So then leave. You clearly know more about Colorado then us and find it unsuitable and unsavory. Here’s some news for you- we didn’t want you in the first place.

I literally LOL at your KKK remark- every state has its dirty laundry, you’re mentioning something from DECADES ago, dude.

The reality is 15 years ago CO was an amazing place to live full of unspoiled splendor and beauty. Now, with the recent population boom, our state parks are having to shut down whole sections of trail to clean up mans filth, no one can afford to live here anymore and there are more entitled people like you who think your experience makes you some sort of gift to CO weed. I could go on and on.
Come down to the real world man.

I know my fair share of recent transplants and I’ve only got a couple that I actually like. The rest expect something for nothing, talk tons of shit about us very frustrated natives and have no respect for what used to be a great place to live. You all take this for granted cause that’s how it is in Cali- plunder every beautiful thing so you can stick a house there and make big bucks. It’s really, really hard to watch and quite sickening.

We won’t miss you when you go but please send a post card so we know you’re gone.
:tiphat:

You proved my point with your response. Dick.

You act like you’re entitled to not have to compete with the rest of the world because you’re from here. You’re not. You’re just another Coloradan scared of outsiders and change. You’re scared of competition because you can’t really compete. You lived in a protected little bubble like the people in the emerald triangle, and now that bubble has burst.

My experience does make me valuable anywhere I go. Including Colorado. Especially Colorado. Give it time I will find the right people to work with here. I’m in no rush. They probably won’t be from Colorado either. We are just going to completely take over this state. I hope you hate it.

As of now, most of the grows here are owned by a bunch of yuppie chads and real estate agents that never saw a plant before 2012. They didn’t earn anything. They just spent the money in their trust fund, and forced the real growers out of the market. That won’t last. Eventually nationwide legalization will occur and the mediocre Colorado grow idustry will have to compete with world class California grow industry, and that will be that.

Corporate Growers in Colorado are terrified of competing with California’s professional growers, so instead chose not to. They play this game of pseudo elitism and exclusion. Trying to shut out anyone more experienced and talented than them. If colorado actually had to go head to head with the over all quality Cali growers provide they’d be laughed out of the business.

Expect something for nothing? Here’s news for you. You wouldn’t be growing if me and people like me didn’t help push the industry to where it is today. I’ve grown and sold more weed than I can count in tons. You’d have to have a time machine to catch up with me. I grew black market for two decades dodging cops and gangsters. Paying massive lawyers fees and legal bills. Helped keep my other grower friends out of prison when I could, and helped the ones I couldn’t keep out of prison start back up when they got out.

On top of that I’ve run multiple charities that provided free medicine to cancer patients, and veterans. I’ve given away more weed than you could grow in the rest of your life.

Part of the reason it’s even legal in Colorado is because of massive protests I helped organized and movements I helped fund.

I came here because California made mistakes when structuring their new laws, and Colorado seemed like a cool place to explore while California worked out the kinks. California will get back on track. I’ve grown now in 4 states. I like to explore, I don’t like to stay in one place too long. Life’s too short to be stationary. So far everywhere I’ve been, Cali has the best weed in the world over all. I’m not a Cali Native either, so I’m not saying that out of some Cali pride. I’m from Texas. I earned my way up from nothing, growing for a decade in Texas. Risking a 20-30 year prison sentence because that’s how much I love growing.

Oh, and unless you’re Native American, you’re not native. Your ancestors came here and murdered the natives in massive genocide, then started mining and ruining the land generations ago. It hasn’t been unspoiled since the 1800’s. All this entitled Colorado Native bullshit is as stupid as the don’t mess with Texas bullshit I grew up with. Oh and the kkk stuff wasn’t just decades ago. I see open white supremacists here frequently.

Get over yourself and your mediocre state. It’s just a hunk of land like anywhere else, and you people aren’t better or more deserving than anyone else. I’ve had a lot of weed in this state. Been all around this state. You all could learn a thing or two about growing from Cali growers. It’s rare I have found anything here that’s even as good as Cali mids. Not to say that there aren’t extremely talented growers here. There are. They’re the ones that have been here for decades, honing their craft only to also get forced out by corporate shills. There also aren’t as many because the population of Colorado is much lower than California.

Last edited:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
I can say this now because I no longer work there but I was one of the early places you interviewed at when this thread began. (You included your user name on your resume.)

I wasn't actually in on the interview but from the other side of the process- you're completely correct in everything you just said in your last post. We didn't offer you a job because you were entirely too experienced (and you would have hated it.) At the time we just needed hands to help break up bales @ $14/15 an hour. And that's pretty typical for Craigslist posts in Denver on the whole.

Also we were pretty clique-ish. Over the years in Colorado cannabis I've been the beneficiary and victim of nepotism. And the yuppie Chad's and real estate dicks? Yep. That's exactly who I worked for and because they had won a cannabis cup or two, they could swing their dicks around and use soft power in the industry like nobody's business.

I for one have made a lot of fantastic friends in transplants and I never minded that they came to see our state and love it like I do.

Blowing up- Hash is a good dude with growing chops. I see his frustration and I can relate.

Hash- you don't belong in entry level positions obviously (and the right people will hire you without Colorado experience). I think you should try for more master/head grower positions on indeed. I get twelve emails a day from them in Colorado and different states and I've got maybe 6 or 7 years less experience than you.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can say this now because I no longer work there but I was one of the early places you interviewed at when this thread began. (You included your user name on your resume.)

I wasn't actually in on the interview but from the other side of the process- you're completely correct in everything you just said in your last post. We didn't offer you a job because you were entirely too experienced (and you would have hated it.) At the time we just needed hands to help break up bales @ $14/15 an hour. And that's pretty typical for Craigslist posts in Denver on the whole.

Also we were pretty clique-ish. Over the years in Colorado cannabis I've been the beneficiary and victim of nepotism. And the yuppie Chad's and real estate dicks? Yep. That's exactly who I worked for and because they had won a cannabis cup or two, they could swing their dicks around and use soft power in the industry like nobody's business.

I for one have made a lot of fantastic friends in transplants and I never minded that they came to see our state and love it like I do.

Blowing up- Hash is a good dude with growing chops. I see his frustration and I can relate.

Hash- you don't belong in entry level positions obviously (and the right people will hire you without Colorado experience). I think you should try for more master/head grower positions on indeed. I get twelve emails a day from them in Colorado and different states and I've got maybe 6 or 7 years less experience than you.

I appreciate the kind words and validation. It reassures me that I’m not just bitter and delusional. I’d still love to work here. A mid level position would be fine to start. Even one position above entry-level would be great. I don’t have to be In charge. I just don’t want to be only washing pots and cleaning all day. I don’t mind doing it a few hours a day, but I don’t want that to be my only tasks. I want to be hands on with the plant’s and lead people. I love learning more and helping teach as well. No matter how long I grow, there will always be more to learn and more to teach.

Please let me know if there is anywhere you think I should send my resume, or any good place that you know is hiring. I’m actually redoing it right to make it more refined and less repetitive. Hopefully that will help.

Last edited:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think I want to start a Colorado,growers union. I have considered it in the past and now I’m considering it again. It’s time to put the corporate shills in their place.

If you want a shining example of how to do it, look at Japan's melon growers.

They had 2 melons sell for $45,000.

Yes, melons. As in fruit that grows on a vine. Quantity, 2. :jawdrop:

Not just anybody can be in their union, though. Certain quality standards must be maintained. And nothing artificial can be used to grow except environmental control.

Latest posts

Latest posts