What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Concerns raised about first device set to be approved for roadside drug detection

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Drug-impaired driving tests 'not there yet,' says top RCMP officer
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/drug-impaired-driving-tests-1.4891163

Police forces have trained drug recognition experts, but tests they use are only partly based on science. RCMP Chief Supt. Dennis Daley admits that parts of the test for cannabis-impaired driving is subjective, though it is based on science.

"It's important for Canadians to realize that we don't have a tool right now, a similar on the alcohol side, a machine that will actually print out something that says 'you are this, you are that.' We do not have that," says Daley.

"As the science improves, the technology no doubt will follow."

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Feds set to approve second roadside drug detection device

Feds set to approve second roadside drug detection device

Published Thursday, April 25, 2019 10:47AM EDT

OTTAWA – The federal government is set to approve a second roadside drug detection device for roadside saliva tests to determine marijuana impairment.
According to a Department of Justice order published recently in the Canada Gazette, the government is proposing to amend the list of approved drug screening equipment to add the device called SoToxa.

Specifically, the government is looking to expand the list of approved equipment to include three pieces of SoToxa equipment intended to be used together: The main SoToxa device itself, as well as the test cartridge and oral fluid collection device.

This equipment is to be used to detect THC, the primary psychoactive ingredient in cannabis.

“Approval of the SoToxa™, the Abbott SoToxa™ Test Cartridge and the Abbott SoToxa™ Oral Fluid Collection Device, when used together, as ‘approved drug screening equipment,’ would permit its use by law enforcement. A positive result would be a strong indication of recent use,” the order reads.
An independent committee comprised of forensic toxicologists — called the Drugs and Driving Committee of the Canadian Society of Forensic Science — evaluated the SoToxa and has recommended the drug screen be approved by Attorney General David Lametti. It is currently in the midst of a 30-day public consultation window, and the device has yet to be approved. Should it be granted the go-ahead, it will give police forces across Canada a second choice for testing potentially drug-impaired drivers.

The federal government has already approved the Dräger DrugTest 5000 to be used by police at the roadside to test for both THC and cocaine, despite some concerns about its functionality, including its efficacy in cold weather. Until now it’s been the only option law enforcement has had under the legalized marijuana regime.

The authorization to use these kinds of devices came as part of Bill C-46, the impaired driving legislation that passed along Bill C-45, the Cannabis Act, which sets up the legal regime for recreational marijuana.

Bill C-46 changed impaired driving laws to give police new powers to conduct roadside intoxication tests, including oral fluid drug tests, and makes it illegal to drive within two hours of being over the legal limit. If a person fails the roadside oral test, they are to be taken in for additional testing. Failing an oral roadside test is not a criminal offence, nor can the results be used in court. A blood test is required to determine legal impairment.

Source: https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/feds-set-to-approve-second-roadside-drug-detection-device-1.4394549

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHNY_enCA660CA660&ei=udPMXJ6wOt660PEP68KViAs&q=+Abbott+SoToxa&oq=+Abbott+SoToxa&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0i324i10j0i10l9.255169.255524..257315...0.0..0.122.297.1j2......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.DqO2lI8xcvQ

RMS

:smoweed:

"As the science improves, the technology no doubt will follow."

I thought bill c-46 didn’t apply to medical users with a valid perception?

I’ll have to read the act again, but once you are diagnosed, you can’t be withheld meds.

So a 50g a day license, I can drive around with what? Couple pounds? I can also drive around legally with how much blood alcohol, legally?

Think this is geared towards people abusing it, and taking things for granted. It’s just weed, I don’t think you have to worry, because there’s a lot worse going on for the enforcement to worry about.:joint:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If the doctor tells you not to drive with a tylenol 3, and you do, you are driving impaired. If you are driving in a rage, same thing.

You are not supposed to drive with THC in your system. Period. Script or not. That said, baring you admitting that your stoned, only the most incompetent lawyer could fuck it up.

beanjas

I thought bill c-46 didn’t apply to medical users with a valid perception?

I’ll have to read the act again, but once you are diagnosed, you can’t be withheld meds.

So a 50g a day license, I can drive around with what? Couple pounds? I can also drive around legally with how much blood alcohol, legally?

Think this is geared towards people abusing it, and taking things for granted. It’s just weed, I don’t think you have to worry, because there’s a lot worse going on for the enforcement to worry about.:joint:
round
You better read that act again .. plus how much you can carry with you .
Your so wrong on everything .

Bill 174, you guys should look into it.

“Exceptions are made to the rules respecting driving with a drug in the body if a police officer is satisfied that the driver is legally authorized to use the drug for medical purposes.”

It’s in the amended highway traffic act:tiphat:

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
In my neck of the woods, we have already had people getting pinched by the cop`s for having open weed in the car. It`s no different than open carry with booze.

Local news has already aired stories about such scenarios taking place. With the new stricter enforcement of drunk driving rules that started on Jan. 01, incidents like these are going to be more frequent. A cop can pull you over for no reason, and make you blow. The same is going to happen with weed.

Weed is no different than alcohol. It has to be concealed in your trunk, or the bed of your truck. Only the low-life cock roach lawyers are going to benefit from any of this. Bottom line is, if you get pulled over with an open bag of weed, chances are the cop will issue you an I.P. if it`s not properly stored at the least, and will then try to give you an impaired.

I`m having a vision, and it says Supreme Court...incoming......:chin:

RMS

beanjas

Ya bill 174 was amended in 2017 .. come on man its 2019 and weeds legal.. theres a new motor vehicle act and no one is exempt .. and back to that driving around with 5 lbs .. your fucked.

Ya bill 174 was amended in 2017 .. come on man its 2019 and weeds legal.. theres a new motor vehicle act and no one is exempt .. and back to that driving around with 5 lbs .. your fucked.

:laughing:

One of two things going on here

1) you don’t know your rights (chapter 7 in the charter)
2) you are naive and don’t understand “Maximum Quantity of Dried Cannabis Authorized to Possess” (7th line on your CMPR)

Like I said before, if your abusing the system, leo will knock you down a peg or two. If you stay within your limits, and aren’t a heatbag you’re going to be alright.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Anybody with a high enough gram per day presciption can carry 150 grams anywhere in public, including aircraft.

I`ve been doing it for a number of years now, but never bother carrying that much. I do love the looks I get from the lame ass Canuck TSA inspectors when I declare my weed at the airport.

The look on their faces when I show them my ACMPR is beyond priceless.... :biggrin:.... asking them to keep their grubby paws of my meds and then walking away with a smug look.... :yay:

Make sure you have your original ACMPR license with you before attempting this.

RMS

I’m not positive but I heard you can stack your 30 gram rec weed with your 150 gram med weed for a juicy 180 gram limit.
Can’t wait to go through security with a huge sack.

Technique

As per the aussie thread, heavy smoker ~ oz a week.
Best time with swab just after smoking 10 minutes while out fishing and moving spots.
Don't use any thing for avoiding detection and always same story..... on your way sir!

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Roadside drug testing device picks up false positives from poppy seeds and tea

Roadside drug testing device picks up false positives from poppy seeds and tea

Police are continuing to remind people not to get high before driving. But what about the dangers of eating poppy seed cake?

A Vancouver lawyer says her suspicions about the new Drager DrugTest 5000 roadside testing device have been confirmed after her law firm ran two days of testing that turned up false positives.

The saliva-screening device was approved by the federal government ahead of cannabis legalization last October to be used by law enforcement to check drivers for THC, the main psychoactive agent in marijuana

Kyla Lee with Acumen Law already had concerns about the device when it was approved, namely that it only detects the presence of drugs rather than impairment.

On Sunday, Lee said her staff ran two days of tests on the device and found it can be even more problematic.

“We had several individuals eat poppy seed loaf from Tim Hortons and poppy seed cake they made at home. All of those people tested positive in the saliva test for opiates, and later tested positive in subsequent urine tests,” Lee said.

“So if a police officer were to pull those people over and gave them a saliva test, they would be arrested.”

If that person then tested positive for opiates in a urine test at the station, Lee said, that person could be charged with impaired driving

Lee said the tests also found similar positive results for cocaine after staff drank coca tea, which derives from the same plant and is commonly available.

“That’s so concerning, because in our legal system we have a zero-tolerance threshold for cocaine,” she said. “Any detectable amount of cocaine in your system means you’re guilty of a criminal offence.”

Finally, Lee said the testing found the Drager is unable to differentiate between THC and CBD, which is the non-psychoactive agent in cannabis and is often treated for medical treatment and pain relief.

“We found there was a retention period of half an hour. It was still found in the mouth even though there were no lingering effects in the body,” she said.

The studies included control groups of people that didn’t ingest anything that passed the test, Lee said, but those who consumed the above products did “incredibly poorly.”

Lee said the information found through the testing could spell doom for convictions sought through positive roadside results at police stops,

“People who are wanting to try different kinds of tea are now at risk of being charged with impaired driving,” Lee said. “It’s another example of how the government really failed in approving this device.”

The device has been called into question before, with independent testing finding the Drager stopped working altogether in temperatures lower than 4 degrees Celsius.

Vancouver police announced in September it wouldn’t be using the Drager device, with other Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley departments adopting a wait-and-see approach.

Abbotsford police, meanwhile, confirmed Sunday they have acquired a Drager device and are conducting their own tests.

The department said they haven’t seen any data that would put the reliability of the device in doubt.

Global News has reached out to the Department of Justice and B.C. Solicitor General Mike Farnworth for comment.

Lee said Ottawa should conduct further testing and potentially recall the device until the government is positive it can be effective — or find another device that is.

“They relied on an assurance from the manufacturer that they had tested the device, but the literature provided said they only tested half a dozen things,” she said.

“We need to put more effort in this country into finding a device that can tell the difference between something that’s impairing a person and something that’s merely present in their system.”

Source: https://globalnews.ca/news/5242672/drager-roadside-tester-false-positives/

RMS