pretty good episode, not as action packed as most

good writing if they can make you feel bad for a speedfreak

ArcticBlast

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
pretty good episode, not as action packed as most

good writing if they can make you feel bad for a speedfreak

ArcticBlast

Hehe. I wouldn't have given him half my cash. Maybe a few grand to tide him over, get the RV back or whatever...

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
My thoughts. SPOILER ALERT!!!!

My thoughts. SPOILER ALERT!!!!

For a while I thought this episode was a bit boring because it centered on the family conflicts that Walt and Jesse are having, but then I think the writers are setting up the twisted scenario that Walt and Jesse, because of their drug partnership, really only have each other to rely upon. In a weird way, they're closer to each other than they are to their own families. I bet a year ago Walt never thought he'd have a teenage crank addict as a sort of surrogate son. On the flip side of that, I bet Jesse never thought he'd be cooking meth with his old high school chemistry teacher, possibly the squarest white guy in New Mexico...

I thought for a second Walt would tell his wife about what he was doing. He didnt, and I think he did that in order to protect her. If she knew about his criminal enterprise and did nothing to stop it, she might be culpable if he ever gets caught.

Isnt it sad that Walt, who's only doing this to provide for his family after he dies from cancer, has driven his family apart because of the secrets he's keeping?

And I really felt bad for Jesse too. You really saw him as a pathetic drug addict, whose family and friends shun him because of his past mistakes, and having to pay the price for it. Really felt sorry for him. 90% of what happened to him is his own fault, he's probably been generally a screwup in life, but you can tell he's been tormented by that, and in his desperate time of need no one was willing to help him out. I bet this scenario plays itself out in a lot of hardcore drug abusers' lives, and its really sad when it happens. Sad for everyone: his family, his old friends, himself most especially...

Only Walt was willing to help him out, and only after they had a nasty physical confrontation. They both were so frustrated by their family situations that they had to take it out on each other. Walt especially almost wanted to die at that point; not the first time he's wished that. I guess when you have nothing to lose is when you're most dangerous...

So now they're back in it, deep in the muck so to speak. More cooking, more dealing, and now it looks like more death and destruction to come. Exciting stuff. Not that I revel in the atrocities of the drug war, which plays itself out in the real world every day, but at least it makes for a good story...:2cents:

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
excellent analysis, my thoughts exactly pretty much verbatim!

great show, excellent writing!

lol can you imagine doing ANYTHING like this with an old teacher? haha

ArcticBlast

B

BigHerm

I thought Jesse quit using a few episodes back. I know it hasn't shown him using in the last couple of episodes.

ArcticBlast

Veteran
he "smoked it all" in that bong he was hiding from his mom when she walked in, not meth..

At least that was my perception

ArcticBlast

SomeGuy

he "smoked it all" in that bong he was hiding from his mom when she walked in, not meth..

At least that was my perception

ArcticBlast

After his Mom came in and woke him up he hid a tray under the bed that looked to me like a mirror with a pile of powder on it along with something else.

Plus when he was in the room with the hooker in the previous episode, she was snorting up the last of it before the cops got there.

ArcticBlast

Veteran
yeah i forgot about the hooker and the dea shit...

But i thought he just took a bump before the DEA came because...well...the DEA was coming haha

And I guess you COULD smoke a couple of ounces (of weed) in like 2 or 3 days...but would you?

You guys are probably right, he's back on the meth...

Tisk Tisk
ArcticBlast

SomeGuy

You guys are probably right, he's back on the meth...

If he is supposed to be using heavy then they aren't portraying his character correctly. Most of the tweekers I've come in contact with exhibit psychotic behaviors where Jesse just comes off as too normal.

I had a good friend come over one night and try to convince me he had "bad blood" and he was sure that it was caused by impurities being added into his dope by the government. He was actually carrying several syringes of his coagulated blood as proof.
I tried to convince him that the dope itself was the impurity and it wasn't really affecting his blood so much as his mind, but he was having none of it. He was SURE that it was a plot to kill him but he was beating them by "double filtering" or some nonsense, whatever the hell that was.

He eventually bottomed out, lost everything and is now a normal functioning person with no recollection of the "bad blood" incident or most of the other crazy shit he was doing.

Dr. G

If he is supposed to be using heavy then they aren't portraying his character correctly. Most of the tweekers I've come in contact with exhibit psychotic behaviors where Jesse just comes off as too normal.

I had a good friend come over one night and try to convince me he had "bad blood" and he was sure that it was caused by impurities being added into his dope by the government. He was actually carrying several syringes of his coagulated blood as proof.
I tried to convince him that the dope itself was the impurity and it wasn't really affecting his blood so much as his mind, but he was having none of it. He was SURE that it was a plot to kill him but he was beating them by "double filtering" or some nonsense, whatever the hell that was.

He eventually bottomed out, lost everything and is now a normal functioning person with no recollection of the "bad blood" incident or most of the other crazy shit he was doing.

damn

and man i hat all the women in this show too fucking nuts

"maby he owes alot of money to his pot dealer and they kidnapped him"

oh and that bitch smoking ciggeretts omfg i would kill her she already has a fucked up kid and hiesenburg is the bad guy WTF

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I always thought that the actor playing Jesse was portraying a crankhead pretty well: wild eyes, hyped up, amped up, very intense demeanor...
But then again, I've never met anyone who was a tweaker (or, at least, I didnt know they were a tweaker).
I'd like to think that the majority of crystal meth abusers retain some semblance of normality most of the time. If they're at the end of a 3 day meth binge, then yeah, I guess I could see reality going out the window for them, but dont most of these people have jobs, families, go to school? Aren't they normal at least most of the time?
I guess I should be thankful I'm not one of them...

SvenB

That shit is not the real world, Ive had my fiancee for 2 years now + when we dated and yeah obviously shes nuts(girl thing) but dude the chicks in that show are TOTAL bitches, dudes dieing and his wife treats him like shit, not to mention their prehistoric when it comes to cannabis.

ArcticBlast

Veteran
This show is NOT glamourizing drugs guys, you HAVE to remember that... He's doing "whatever it takes" to provide for his family, including hanging out with "shady characters" and making drugs.

SomeGuy is totally right, if jesse is really addicted again, then he's not "showing" it very well...

The DEA sucks

Pregnant women suck, its just a part of life...

And as for the other woman...she's a nurse...and married to a fed...i think "bitch" is spot on for what they're TRYING to portray...

ArcticBlast

Green Smoke

Last season there was an episode where Jesse freaked out from doing that "perfect ass" meth and got straightend out because of it. In real time that wasn't that long ago. I'm giving the whole show about 3 months max from the first episode til now, probably less. Last week, Walt told the psych that he had 18 months to live, his doctor told him the same in the first episode. If they move on too fast then we won't get much of a season 3 cuz Walt will go on and die.

This season began with them going through a very strenuos ordeal. Also remember that just prior to the meth deal where Tuco killed his own man, he had also beat the piss out of Jesse who spent hospital time. Then Jesse watches a man get beat to death, gets kidnapped, almost gets killed, then shoots a man with intent to kill, then watches another guy kill Tuco. Oh yea, that guy happend to be Mr. Whites brother-in-law...a DEA agent.

Our boy has been rocked!!! After all that (48 hours max) I'd cave in too and get high.

In real time, he probably only laid off for a couple weeks. Not counting hospital time.

shadow

Wow. Just wow. I watched the first 6 episodes of this show today (and some of it yesterday), and holy balls I am addicted. This always happens to me though, first I kill the first 6 seasons of the shield in 2 weeks, then I watch the first 3 seasons of dexter in 1 week, now I watch almost all of season1 of breaking bad in a day or two lol.

edit: After looking at what ephedrine/pseudoephedrine molecules look like, and what meth looks like, I think it took me 5 minutes to think of my own synthesis for this. That is scary as hell...

Just a reduction of the alcohol, then a hydrogenation w/ pt/pd/raney nickle catalyst and hydrogen gas. Probably not the most efficient way to do it, but I still think I could if I wasn't all about NOT doing this ever ever ever in my life.

edit 2: Or dehydration w/ cat. H2SO4, then a hydrogenation in the presence of Pd/Pt/Raney Nickle.

edit 3: Lol, I swear this is my last one, but one of my friends showed me something that got busted where someone set up a bunch, I think 7, CSTR's (continuous stirred tank reactors) to make a continuous meth process. I think chemistry interests me too much for my own safety.