What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

companion planting...

expealadocious

Just getting started with this.... Im thinking possible benefits from coexisting along with pest deterrent properties and harvisting clean grown herbs and vegetables (?)

Im only a month into it and mulling ideas... they say beans fix nitrogen from the air so I am thinking beans next...

Aloe
picture.php

Mint
picture.php

Garlic
picture.php

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Welcome to the part of gardening where few people go. :) I've got several different varieties of softneck garlic that i'm putting into containers as well as mint, dandelion, wood sorrel, and other plants growing together with my ganja.

You can go ahead and try nitrogen fixers, but they are most useful after they have grown and died back. Otherwise having a good diverse plant grouping will keep the rhizosphere active and more resilient towards pest and pathogens.

Way to go. :)

expealadocious

Yeah I heard that about re tilling the dead bean plants.. pretty neat stuff for sure.
I was thinking of doing a bean/ non bean side by side with identical clones maybe... knowing me I'll never get to it... im thinking ginger plants would be fun too. So far everythings really happy and it helps the winter blues I think

B

Baron Greenback

The Royal Horticultural Society might be a good port of call for this - https://www.rhs.org.uk/
Sorry if it's not good for this particular thing but there might be something useful for other stuff :)

oldbean

High

I like what you're doing, I plant garlic in some of my pots..

Just a heads up about the mint....its a prolific grower and will choke your cannabis plant, best to plant it in its own pot really although you will find it escaping from there still lol

Peace

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I have been trying to research this a lot, but there isn't much about companion planting with MMJ on the internet. So far people think Rosemary (evergreen herb) might raise the terpines. Stinging nettles feed the MMJ so you don't need organic or chem ferts. Chamomile (white daisy like) raises up terpines. The gardening community call it the doctor plant because it helps other plants increase terpines. I just bought a large Rosemary and cloned it the other day so soon it goes into the MMJ container. I will try Chamomile in the next summer outside grow.

TerpeneDream

Nice!

I started a thread about this awhile ago. I got a bunch of nay-sayers!

I'm using Red & White clover…

Barley, Rye, and Wheat are next!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I hope you don't feel too shot down by the nay-sayers TerpeneDream the living soil bunch enjoyed living mulch & they still practice it as do I

barley & clover are clear choices; barley for it's enzymatic contribution {esp germinating} & clover for it's N-fixing. Plant clover & forget about N amendments per-se. careful, clover hitting it's stride during flower can lead to excessive stretch & long flower time.

best is to get your living mulch going & then transpo in to your container

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We do that outside, companion plant with cooking herbs and circle of marigolds around the pots (not in same soil/container).

Glad it's working out for you!

expealadocious

Hell yeah thanks man....thanks others too...
I definitely know the mint is a root hog but im ok with it. my entire grow is just for my entertainment anyway... plus the good ones end up in 15 or 20 gal pots so they have room :)
At any rate there'll be fresh tea and garlic haha... they seem to really thrive in the semi shaded areas too ...surprisingly the aloe with the cannabis in lower lighting is much happier and richer in color than the solo aloe under lights.... but maybe it just doesnt like bright light. Im digging the mixed gardening idea big time... it spiced things up haha

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the aloe i have is sensitive to light. placed in the sun, it got a sunburn. i didn't know what was going on till my sister set me straight. bringing it in out of the sun brought it back

expealadocious

Just an update on this idea. everything is coexisting beautifully...plants are thriving, and as a bonus I'll be harvesting all kinds of herbs and veg.
Mint, basil, rosemary, sunflower, beans, aloe, & garlic

After transplanting this one to a 5gal, I was surprised how well the mint & canna roots were hanging next to eachother... the soil smelled so minty and nice too..
Im in love w this idea.
picture.php

Freshly sprouted bean baby
picture.php

I'll keep this rolling as things continually progress

KIS

Very cool. I met a commercial large scale grower in Vegas who does crimson clover in all of his containers. Personally I've had less success with this concept. Potential problems are managing the growth rates of the cover crop vs the cannabis so it doesn't get crowded or shaded out. Also, there is risk of fungal pathogens like powdery mildew due to increased humidity and less air flow in your cover crop. Provided you are able to manage those two things, then you could see some benefit through increased N-fixation or nutrient cycling. I also like the idea of growing an indicator plant that will be an attractant to mites or other pests, though I haven't done it myself. I've seen other cultivate flowers and other plants that help to keep the beneficial mites they mail order alive too.

Diversity is always superior to monocultures. :)

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Hmmm an indicator or decoy plant. If you ever do though make sure you grow it from seed, because if pests like it better than cannabis they are probably already on it.

Aphotic

the aloe i have is sensitive to light. placed in the sun, it got a sunburn. i didn't know what was going on till my sister set me straight. bringing it in out of the sun brought it back

Most if not all aloes prefer full sun, my father in-law, owns a cacti and suculant nursery. He has many different types of aloe, the problem is that much of it sold in stores has never had the proper amount of light, and some even sell it as a low light plant. Just ease it into the sun, if your aloe is unhealthy, or over watered, those issues must be felt with first. I have aloes in full sun that are flourishing, I also have two inside under 2,000w of HP's, about 6" from the lights, the lights are cooled and on a mover, but the mover only moves 6".

Latest posts

Latest posts