What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

G

Follow the money. Al bore and the rest are raking in millions and want to make us pay for the farce of carbon credits. Please hand me a plastic straw.

G

Im waiting for some of the less sharp tools in the shed to blame President Trump as well.

Night4wings20

Climate change can be a natural occurrence, like the switching of the poles. Whether what is happening is/has been been created by us it doesn't matter much if it turns out to be a natural cycle of the planet we all call home.

There are just more people this time to experience the extreme weather so the amount of natural disasters that have happened is just a statistic of large human population.

Simple version? More humans= more reports of disaster = illusion of increase of frequency

When in reality these natural disasters have probably been going on for millennia.

I'm not saying I'm right but I'm also not saying I'm wrong ;)

White Beard

Climate change can be a natural occurrence, like the switching of the poles. Whether what is happening is/has been been created by us it doesn't matter much if it turns out to be a natural cycle of the planet we all call home.

There are just more people this time to experience the extreme weather so the amount of natural disasters that have happened is just a statistic of large human population.

Simple version? More humans= more reports of disaster = illusion of increase of frequency

When in reality these natural disasters have probably been going on for millennia.
I get what you’re saying, kinda like there aren’t *more* unarmed black citizens being murdered by police in the street, it’s just that there are more cameras in more hands so there’s more proof now.

When in fact this has been going on since we got them here.

Sure, climate has been changing by itself for a long, long time; mostly gradually (maybe), sometimes freakin’ fast like a comet strike...can’t really *have* a slow-motion comet strike.

Still, there plenty of evidence that the increase in atmospheric CO2 started going up, up, and away with the Industrial Revolution, and it’s only picked up speed since then...maybe *WE* are the slow-motion comet? The LAST rapid warming was much faster, but that *was* an impact.

I'm not saying I'm right but I'm also not saying I'm wrong ;)
I’m not saying I’m right...I’m just saying all the evidence is on one side, and you’re on the other

igrowone

Veteran
good timing with the thread bumps
the latest data, the earth just had the 4th warmest year in the record
not really impressive by itself, but the 5 warmest are the last 5 years
the trend is impressive, but since many seem to take it for granted now, almost blasé
the attitude is 'it's warming, so what?'
frighteningly enough, this is progress

White Beard

Follow the money. Al bore and the rest are raking in millions and want to make us pay for the farce of carbon credits. Please hand me a plastic straw.
If you want in the game, son, ya gotta show jacks or better...and you have no cards.

Lest I be accused of casting snark, I’ve lived most of the last 70 years in the same general area. When I was a kid, it wouldn’t get up into the 80s until August, occasionally we’d get 90s. February was always the coldest month, helped the apple crop, helped keep the fleas, the roaches, the mosquitoes down; helped the apple crop set fruit. It rained a lot, some times for weeks, made the place pretty.

In the late 80s, we fell into drought, bad drought, stayed there for most of 15 years. Average summer temps are now in the 90 on the regular, and we get stretches in the 100s. And for the last 3 years, spring has arrived in early February.

Temps here are slated to hit the 80s over the next week, it’s been in the 70s for the past week.

Winter? What winter? A few cold days, and now we’re back to spring.
Welcome to the new normal.

Last edited:

Night4wings20

I get what you’re saying, kinda like there aren’t *more* unarmed black citizens being murdered by police in the street, it’s just that there are more cameras in more hands so there’s more proof now.

When in fact this has been going on since we got them here.

Sure, climate has been changing by itself for a long, long time; mostly gradually (maybe), sometimes freakin’ fast like a comet strike...can’t really *have* a slow-motion comet strike.

Still, there plenty of evidence that the increase in atmospheric CO2 started going up, up, and away with the Industrial Revolution, and it’s only picked up speed since then...maybe *WE* are the slow-motion comet? The LAST rapid warming was much faster, but that *was* an impact.

I’m not saying I’m right...I’m just saying all the evidence is on one side, and you’re on the other

I knew stupid people would come along and see things that aren't in my post. Oh well back to not saying anything since idiots like you and others exist. Goodluck!

White Beard

I knew stupid people would come along and see things that aren't in my post. Oh well back to not saying anything since idiots like you and others exist. Goodluck!
Gosh, what a nice guy!
What’s a 200+ IQ like you doing hanging around here? I’m sure the other elite brainiacs are meeting elsewhere, you should join them instead of slumming with us stupid people.

Thanks so much for your insightful comment!

Koondense

Veteran

Where's the context?

Spurious-Correlations-101-685x491.jpg

St. Phatty

Would like to find a additional sources.

Did a web search for "5 hottest years."

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-planet-s-hottest-five-years-on-record-are-the-last-five-years

People won't take it seriously until it's too late.

Australia, having some problems with hot weather -

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/australia-heatwave-knocks-out-power-fuels-wildfires-amid-drought/

Chile, sort of imitating California -

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-l...declares-state-of-emergency-over-forest-fires

8 blazes started simultaneously = Arson

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-latin-america-16409464/chile-fires-started-intentionally

kickarse

Yeah yeah, there was a heatwave in Australia, and it was in summer FFS
We has some nice weather in Jan, now its Feb, today 19c tomorrow 16c its a coldwave lol lol

Hows Americas winter going, a little bit cold hey

About losing power in a "heatwave" when ya close a coal power station and replace it with wind and solar, ya might have a problem, when the wind stops blowing, and the sun gets blocked by clouds, that is what happened.

We now have some of the highest power prices in the world, we been conned by the climate monster, it eats $$$$$, lots of $$$, its like robin hood in reverse.
And that is what its really all about, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

White Beard

You’re having a cold snap during summer, we’re having a hot spring (80f today, in what should be the deeps of winter (typically never above the 40s in Feb)...and all that seems perfectly normal to you?

Maybe it’s true what they say about Aussies

kickarse

Yeah, its perfectly normal, we had a sunny dry winter, a wet and cloudy spring, Dec was cold and cloudy, Jan was nice and warm, Feb has been hot and humid for a couple of days, now its cold and wet, its typical Victorian weather,
as for your place, got no idea what go's on there, it sounds a bit extreme tho

igrowone

Veteran
good to see some actual talk about temperatures seen locally
hey, it's what the thread is ultimately about
speaking of cold in the northern usa? bye bye, left a week ago
warmer than average now, in the northeast anyways
now these are the december numbers, late because of government shutdown
2nd warmest december in the record
except to those who are too cool for school and know better, they go with their own internal thermometer
always tells them what they want to hear

December

December 2018 Blended Land and Sea Surface
Temperature Anomalies in degrees Celsius

December 2018 Blended Land and Sea Surface
Temperature Percentiles

The global land and ocean surface temperature for December 2018 was the second highest since global records began in 1880 at 0.86°C (1.55°F) above the 20th century average. This value trails behind the record year 2015 by 0.27°C (0.49°F).
Notable warm temperature anomalies were observed across much of North America, northern Russia, and Australia, where temperatures were 3.0°C (5.4°F) above average or higher. Of note, parts of the southwestern Indian Ocean had temperatures that were at least 1.0°C (1.8°F) above average or higher. Record warm temperatures were mainly present across much of the Southern Hemisphere, specifically across much of Australia, the southwestern Indian Ocean and across parts of the northwestern Indian Ocean, and the south Atlantic, off the eastern coast of Argentina. According to Australia's Bureau of Meteorology, Australia had its warmest December on record with a mean temperature that was 2.13°C (3.83°F) above the 1961–1990 average. Notable cool temperatures were present across much of central Asia and Far East Russia where temperature departures were -3.0°C (-5.4°F) or lower. However, no land or ocean areas had record cold December temperatures.
The global land-only surface temperature was 1.17°C (2.11°F) above average, tying with 1939 as the eighth highest December temperature on record. Meanwhile, the global ocean-only temperature was also second highest on record at +0.75°C (+1.35°F).
Three of six continents had a December temperature that ranked among the seven highest on record. Of note, Oceania had its warmest December on record at 1.90°C (3.42°F) above average. This was 0.40°C (0.72°F) higher than the previous record set in 1972. South America and Asia had their coolest December since 2011 and 2012, respectively.
Regionally, the Hawaiian Region had its warmest December since 1995 and the fourth warmest since regional records began in 1910. The Caribbean Islands December 2018 temperature tied with 2012 and 1942 as the ninth warmest December on record. Meanwhile, The Atlantic Main Development Region had its coolest December since 2000.
ENSO-neutral persisted during December 2018. According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, El Niño is expected to form and continue through the Northern Hemisphere spring (Southern Hemisphere autumn). This forecast focuses on the ocean surface temperatures between 5°N and 5°S latitude and 170°W to 120°W longitude, called the Niño 3.4 region.

St. Phatty

Yeah yeah, there was a heatwave in Australia, and it was in summer FFS

I think Teddy may have mentioned one of the heat waves.

I was reading about the magnetic pole moving, now somewhere in Siberia ?

So is this thread about the geographic North Pole ?

I got your North Pole right here !!! :tiphat: