What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Taking cuttings to clone from tomato plants?

Big Bud Bear

Grow your own, and you got the best bone
Veteran
I've yet to make any clones

I am going to make a cloner with my Aero

All i need to do it make a lid and cut holes in it, but i'm lazy

Big Bud Bear

Grow your own, and you got the best bone
Veteran
Seeing as spring is a few months away, I can use my current crops and if cloning works start my plants early from cutting

Mr. Stinky

as i snap off the suckers from my heirlooms, i drop them in a cup with shultz starter plus dilution. i have rooted up to 40+ in a single coolwhip container. being all bunched together seems to help... maybe tomatoes are competitive :)

the spot where the sucker grows from the main plant has the most hormone naturally, so thats the best place to root from. just keep the suckers short...a few inches of stem and the first leaves works best.

foescan

I've had plenty of suckers take root and start growing when all I did was toss them on the ground after removal, not intending for them to live. As long as there's not too much foliage, simply sticking a few in a glass of water (I usually keep a plastic bag over it until I see roots) or directly in soil has rarely failed for me, whether they are 2" tall or 12".

I train my tomato plants up stakes, and one of them (a Mr. Stripey) fell over after a storm last summer. Within the few days it took me to get a new stake and go fix it, nearly the entire plant had rooted to the ground, and there was no moving it. That plant ended up outgrowing every other in my garden by at least 3 to 1. There's no easier plant to grow cuttings from.