What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3K ~ PPK

zeke99

How high is your clearance and how tight are your corners in the entrance from your veg area to your flowering area? Are you only running four plants?

It's a regular doorway, so just over 6 feet tall and about 30" wide. Is that what you meant? I don't have to elevate them to move them, they can be pushed and turned as need be, the floor is flat and smooth. Blooming four maximum at a time, ideally at the same time during the next run.

I switched wireless carriers and got a new phone and it takes terrible photos. I own a camera that needs to be repaired.

Three of the plants are on Day 19 of Veg. Two of them are bigger and better - roughly 32" and 26" wide. Here is a shitty photo of one the two best. This real pulse setup is blowing away my old setup with the weaker pump.

And here is the third:

The fourth plant is a 2-3 weeks behind.

The leaves of the big plants were curling a bit so I dropped the air gap down to 4" and they appear happier now.

I ended up attaching three stakes each to the outside of the the top buckets and the ends are wedged in by the bottom lids.

In bloom I will also run stretch tape or tie lines from the ceiling.

I was thinking about adding my two now spare 600s to the array in bloom.

picture.php

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
when moving some of my larger plants at the old place through a narrow door, down a stairwell, hard left turn through another door, under a bunch of even bigger plants, while crouching, i found it expedient to wrap them up in plastic like xmas trees on a lot.

even through the really fuzzy pics i can see the plants are "turned on". they are diggin' it.

4" is about right for a heavy pulse schedule. that's exactly how it should be used. you observe the plant and notice it looks a little wet in the feet so you drop the level a little to change the moisture profile in the bottom of the medium.

and/or increase the time between pulse events or the duration and therefore the volume of the pulse event.

it is a tunable device. it can also be used to help control room rh. and respond to large fluctuations of rh.

looking at your lighting diagram, if you are willing to run all 4 600's, i think you could radically improve lighting by using relays to flip an extra set of bulbs halfway through the period.

by running 2 lights stacked in the middle without flipping and then two ballasts flipping opposite corner lights outside the plants as you show now.

i hope i said that so it makes sense. i fixed it twice i think that's it this time

wellwaterblack

I ordered a Sentinel DRT-1. What came was a drt-1a, which looks different and appears to have 3 buttons instead of 7. Sentinel doesn't seem to make the drt any more. What do the missing buttons do?

zeke99

I ordered a Sentinel DRT-1. What came was a drt-1a, which looks different and appears to have 3 buttons instead of 7. Sentinel doesn't seem to make the drt any more. What do the missing buttons do?

You guys were right, Sentinel did discontinue the DRT-1 and updated their website with the new model:

http://grow-gps.com/products/digital-timers/

Three buttons - Up, Down and Menu/Enter

the DRT-1 has in addition to those three the Recycle buttons: Recycle On Time, Recycle Off Time, Timer Mode and Test Recycle Device

It appears they changed how it's programmed, by adding an LED menu tree and eliminating buttons. The new model retains 24 hour operation. Please let us know how well it works. The DRT-1 is flawless, IMO.

zeke99

D9, are you saying instead of using 1ks in bloom, use (only) four 600w? If so, I understand your idea.

What I currently have available for the bloom side are two 1k ballasts & bulbs and two 600w ballasts and bulbs.

What do you think is the best lighting array with that equipment?

Six days until I bloom those first two....very exciting. I picked up the plants yesterday and in each, one root hair had grown through the bottom of the tailpipe.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
D9, are you saying instead of using 1ks in bloom, use (only) four 600w? If so, I understand your idea.

What I currently have available for the bloom side are two 1k ballasts & bulbs and two 600w ballasts and bulbs.

What do you think is the best lighting array with that equipment?

Six days until I bloom those first two....very exciting. I picked up the plants yesterday and in each, one root hair had grown through the bottom of the tailpipe.

i'm sorry, i didn't get your ballast and bulb inventory the first time.

this is a little more complicated. with the 4 plant pattern you show if you have maybe 5-6' of vertical space i would put those 2 1k's in the middle stacked and flip the 2 600's for supplemental. no matter how you mount the bulbs you should keep the end of the arc tubes no more than about 8" apart which will produce a nice overlap at 16". it's like getting an automatic extension of the "sweet" spot.

you could reverse it and put the 600's in the middle but if you are trying to deliver 1500 umols to the front face of your plants you will have a greater radius with the 1k's and therefore a greater periphery or "face". more bud.

center lights stationary with both the plants and the outer lights movable to be able to maintain the correct distance.

zeke99

I haven't grown 4 in a circle yet, but with 5 in the smaller buckets, and two 600w bulbs stacked, crowding around the sides was always an issue. That is why I've been looking at different formations.

Am I overthinking this?

Ceiling height - two 3.5g buckets stacked = 64"

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
my flower room at the old place was 6.5 wide by 18.5 long. i could not walk upright without brushing through plants and lights. with the cooltubes i was able to let the plants get 8" or so from the lights without burning them but i'm sure they were over driven.

my typical veg time was 5 weeks so you know how big the plants will get.

i guess what i'm saying is that is a tight space and keeping big plants out of the lights is going to be a challenge.

4 plants vegged 5 weeks will be around 32-36" high and 36-40" wide with your rig. and then stretch.

3.2k is an awesome amount of light for four plants but they don't have to all run all the time.

in the first part of the grow a single 1k until they got to about 30" then kick in the other one.

unless you plan to light from behind. then i would run the 600's all the time also. moving them up and down as needed to keep them centered in the plant mass.

the 600's could be flipped either behind the plants or flipped dropped down into the area between the tops like your diagram shows.

i'm having a little trouble visualizing your space but if you take a 6.5x7 floor space with no walls and can put the plant reservoirs in the extreme corners is it ok to have plants hanging out past that space?

it's an interesting way to ramp up the light. a single 1k through veg. the second on beginning at the flip, and the 600's kicked on after stretch.

zeke99

unless you plan to light from behind. then i would run the 600's all the time also. moving them up and down as needed to keep them centered in the plant mass.

the 600's could be flipped either behind the plants or flipped dropped down into the area between the tops like your diagram shows.

i'm having a little trouble visualizing your space but if you take a 6.5x7 floor space with no walls and can put the plant reservoirs in the extreme corners is it ok to have plants hanging out past that space?

it's an interesting way to ramp up the light. a single 1k through veg. the second on beginning at the flip, and the 600's kicked on after stretch.

I'm going to top these plants, they hit 32" tall at three weeks with no possible crowding and the bulb kept in the center of the mass.

Yes to your question.

it's a larger room, but 6.5' x 7' is the biggest chunk that I am able to carve out due to stationary objects.

So you see there is some open space around the 6.5' x 7' area...

My original thought with the four bulbs was to have two pairs of two plants, with each pair "facing" a single 1k bulb, with a single 600 also between each pair.

I'm still not quite getting what you mean because with the width of these plants, a 600w can only be behind one plant at a time.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
it's really hard to come up with a balanced application with those four lights on four plants.

lately i have been reading about light interactions. does light from 2 bulbs multiply or cancel? how does the light interact? do photons collide? do those collisions change direction?

so far i have found that there is no multiplying or canceling of energy. but there are random collisions. and these collisions produce random trajectories. crazy light.

whenever you can hit a plant with multiple angles it will reduce the overall shading response and grow more weight.

the area is so tight that i don't see how you can get side by side lights in the center without them being right next to each other.

four plants are going to completely fill that space. it will be a doughnut with a small center hole.

maybe just one 1k in the center and the two 600's outside as you show.

i take it that you don't want to flip right now.

zeke99

I can't draw stacked bulbs, but the idea is definitely to stack the 1Ks, not hang side-by-side.

I am going to flip two or three of them tomorrow.