What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ants!

So I have ants in my grow tent and grow room. 99% sure the ewc/molasses watering shave attracted them. Solution?

Was planning on taking the girls out, and cleaning the tent out thoroughly, then setting ant traps? Which cleaning solution would be best, and not harmful to my organic grow? What about traps, any recommended brands? The girls are currently week 1 of flower. Not seeing any issues other than a small swarm of ants that are presently attracted to the tea I have brewing.

O

Orrie

Cinnamon powder. Ants hate it
Turn your fans off and sprinkle a light dusting around the edges of the tent
Careful when you turn fans back on.

idiit

Veteran
we used dried grits to kill the ants in our kitchen after sprays didn't work. it worked. ants gone overnight. internet search "grits kill ants" and see ppl stating it doesn't work. it did work for us. tip came from a little ol lady at a grocery store who had positive results with grits after sprays didn't work for her either. it's "folk lore" that grits kill ants. it worked for us..

O

Orrie

Sure, clean is always a good thing.

I forgot to say you shouldn't put cinnamon into containers of living soil as it has anti fungal/bacterial properties and will kill the very life we are trying to preserve.

Not for use in worm bins either as worms don't like it at all.

Good luck!

Whatever you do do NOT use cinnamon I looked that up on google last year when I had this problem in my grow room. And what happened was cinnamon was fucking everywhere and the ants didn't react one bit! Don't do it.

What I did was, clean the entire room real good and vacuumed the ants up everyday and through them away outside in a trash bag in the dumpster. It worked after about a week. I vacuumed every ant I saw once or twice a day. I hope the same thing doesn't happen this year but to be honest where I live there's just lots of ants everywhere I think it's unavoidable

Muleskinner

Veteran
Second the recommendation for D-Earth. Works extremely well on ants, indoors and out. Totally inert, organic substance.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
borax, sprinkle across their trails so they walk through it. doesn't take much to slow them way down & a 2nd application if they start to become problematic again is the most i've done

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Get an aardvark lol. Ants will protect any aphids that might be in your room also. I had one large nest on my property. I just feed them sugar near the nest. They seemed content to stay close by. Sugar is pretty cheap and won't hurt your plants like some pesticides will. Peace