What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coroner classifies woman's death as THC overdose

Storm Shadow

Veteran
https://www.local10.com/news/national/coroner-classifies-woman-s-death-as-thc-overdose

LAPLACE, La. - The death of a Louisiana woman has been classified as a THC overdose, the first-ever recorded death from a marijuana overdose.

The 39-year-old unnamed woman died in February in LaPlace, the New Orleans Advocate reports.

Christy Montegut, the St. John the Baptist Parish Coroner, said the woman was killed by an excess amount of THC, which is the main ingredient in marijuana.

In the toxicology report, Montegut said there was no physical disease or afflictions found and nothing else was identified other than THC.

However, not everyone believes a THC overdose was the true cause of death.

“We know from really good survey data that Americans use cannabis products billions of times a year, collectively. Not millions of times, but billions of times a year,” said Keith Humphreys, a former adviser with the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy. “So, that means that if the risk of death was one in a million, we would have a couple thousand cannabis overdose deaths a year.”

The National Institute of Drug Abuse also disputes the findings, saying there has never been an adult attributed to THC.

troutman

Seed Whore
Just because an autopsy reveals something your body at the time of death doesn't mean it killed you.

If a person ate McDonalds before they died. Does this means the french fries are killers?

redlaser

Veteran
I don’t know which is worse, the coroner claiming one thc death, or that quote from Keith Jeffrues, former advisor for drug policy.

“Americans use cannabis billions of times a year. So that means, IF THE RISK OF DEATH IS ONE IN A MILLION, WE COULD HAVE A COUPLE THOUSAND OVERDOSE DEATHS A YEAR”

'Boogieman'

Obviously a bunch of bullshit, I have ate handfuls of coconut oil with thc I made to kill a toothache and ended up paralyzed and unable to talk but I lived.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah. The "coroner" is an elected official with a PhD in family medicine.

Leave the autopsy work to the professionals, sweetheart.

EvergreenState

I'd like to know what the toxicity level of thc in the body is and what level she had in her body. If she ate 100 hundred medible brownies I would think being a glutonous pig is probably what killed her and not the thc.
I guess if she consumed a shit ton of concentrates in a short period of time that might have done it but that is a suicide.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
It sounds like more of a respiratory failure.

I've heard of people collapsing lungs but don't know any details.

I just read the article and thats more or less how they left it.

EvergreenState

I found the info. I was looking for in this book I just recieved from Amazon today. I watched the author do a video on Youtube on how to make cannabis oil and I was impressed, so I picked up his book.
Right after I posted that comment about wanting to know about the toxicity of cannabis, I opened my Amazon package and started to read. There it was. The answer to the question I just asked here a couple of minutes before. On page 1. My Karma must be good.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

redlaser

Veteran
I found the info. I was looking for in this book I just recieved from Amazon today. I watched the author do a video on Youtube on how to make cannabis oil and I was impressed, so I picked up his book.
Right after I posted that comment about wanting to know about the toxicity of cannabis, I opened my Amazon package and started to read. There it was. The answer to the question I just asked here a couple of minutes before. On page 1. My Karma must be good.View Image View Image View Image

Sounds like a wide range of estimates for a fatal dosage, second page shows 1,000 times the therapeutic dose, first page says 1,500 lbs smoked in 15 minutes

White Beard

The bottom line is that there is no LD-50 for cannabis in any form, because there is no known lethal dose. Attempts to ‘estimate’ an LD-50 are comical at best, and exercises in futility almost always.

It’s easier to figure out how much WATER can kill a person....

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
The thing about research is they've actually killed a plethora of nonhuman subjects with THC.

I did not know that.

Rats need about one gram per kg of body weight orally or a third of that inhaled to kill around half of the test subjects.

Dogs apparently need three.

I'm wondering why potheads are saying that it's safe.

We should quit.

I just need to get rid of the evidence....

*Reaches for the bong*

I can't believe you guys.

Playing with fire....

Every millionth bong hit in ten minutes is like a game of Russian roulette...

Deadly.

redlaser

Veteran
500 kg was the fatal amount for a Brazilian smuggler. Hit a tree while evading arrest, crushed him into the steering wheel.

Raho

Veteran
I don’t know which is worse, the coroner claiming one thc death, or that quote from Keith Jeffrues, former advisor for drug policy.

“Americans use cannabis billions of times a year. So that means, IF THE RISK OF DEATH IS ONE IN A MILLION, WE COULD HAVE A COUPLE THOUSAND OVERDOSE DEATHS A YEAR”

You changed one letter in the quote and it completely changed the meaning.
The guy that said it was pointing out the absurdity of the claim by using stats to illustrate that IF it was possible, the dead bodies would already be piling up around the country.

I see you also changed the name.

Was that on purpose?

“We know from really good survey data that Americans use cannabis products billions of times a year, collectively. Not millions of times, but billions of times a year,” said Keith Humphreys, a former adviser with the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy. “So, that means that if the risk of death was one in a million, we would have a couple thousand cannabis overdose deaths a year.”

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
The bottom line is that there is no LD-50 for cannabis in any form, because there is no known lethal dose. Attempts to ‘estimate’ an LD-50 are comical at best, and exercises in futility almost always.

It’s easier to figure out how much WATER can kill a person....
That's a fact Jack :tiphat: