What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

where is ABC?

CannaZen

Australian Bastard Cannabis Strain: Subterfuge #1

Australian Bastard Cannabis Strain: Subterfuge #1

Haven't heard of ABC Headband before. Well since the link was removed due to spam rules i will list the breeder/strain here so that others may find them, I hadn't been able to find a viable source up to now for many years so thank you!

As far as i know there are no other sources available for ABC Online right now.

Subterfuge #1 was bred and is being sold by Hybri-Tech, Unfortunately their site cannot be found from google but their domain extension is the most common one beginning with a C**

'Subterfuge#1 is the world's first and only Australian Bastard Cannabis Improved Seed Variety. Through a 20 year journey in the hands of plant breeder hyb, 'Subt1' has finally emerged from the shadows and is being released for public use through Hybri-Tech website.

'Subterfuge #1' is an extensive outcross program, that began as pure ABC seeds from Cannabis Culture in 1999. Since then, hyb has outcrossed and selected the population many times, to become the novel wonder it is today. 19 generations of breeding work at this writing, with more to come!

'Subterfuge#1' is so stealthy, nobody will suspect it is cannabis. This mutation holds true all the way to harvest day, unlike the novel variety 'Ducksfoot', which loses its novelty once flowering begins.

'Subterfuge#1' is Type 1 cannabis, meaning it is HIGH THC: LOW CBD, it carries all the typical cannabis terpenes and cannabinoids. Extracting the resin through various methods like water, dry siftin, etc, are all quite viable options too!
The varietal looks like it has been bred to produce adequate flowers whilst retaining the ABC characteristics. ABC has been speculated to be a separate species (cannabis Australis) or a byproduct of aussie cannabis hops breeding, indeed the plant looks pre-historic during a time when cannabis more closely resembled hops like before they branched off into separate species. I believe ABC is not a mutation but a unique descendant from a branch resembling cannabis and hops that survived in australia.
I can imagine this varietal could be bred for all sorts of unique leaflet expressions in lots of different directions. The way the leaves are bunched curled up is really cool.

f47e01_364ace1d6db14557b5c1855a1319f48e~mv2.jpg

f47e01_09f179f2b59e45c992fb62c21d11aef9~mv2.jpg

f47e01_3c757b54b5be428c9f97bf6394dd5034~mv2.jpg

f47e01_4d42f82b6ec041b68451a2226ed908d9~mv2.jpg

f47e01_16e74e6c763444b7bf777964cd933b95~mv2.jpg

W

Water-

cool pics!

Nspecta did reproduction and will be making crosses with them

will be interesting to see if the trait carries over into crosses

CannaZen

I'm very enthusiastic actually you know ABC probably didn't originate as a separate member of the cannabacea family but to say its like a throwback i think isn't a technically correct term.. Mutation is reversion, it seems there are two different interpretations of the meaning of that word. How could that had happened, Its not colchicine-induced polyploidy involving chromosal count. The genes have been made completely different as reversed. Its hard to grasp how only a single mutation may reverse the genes to that extent without having of had happened over a great period of time. A single mutation could have such a fatal impact on the direction of the evolution of the genes as a whole.

Painted forest farms has a lot of great pics of pure ABC plants on instagram.

Some phenotypes among unhybridized ABC that was given away were reported to grow like vines wrapping around each other. This is a photo i took from the wild. I Thought it was a single vine but i guess its not.
picture.php

I've heard that ABC characteristics are recessive and don't appear in the first generation if they'd been hybridized. Ducksfoot genes originated from Australia, They could very well had originated from ABC.

Heres another photo regarding the complexity on some of the leafs. Check it out, Each leaflet is conjoined individually.
picture.php

Last edited:

CannaZen

Hello,

I want give my thanks to the community for helping me. Subterfuge #1 seeds received!

I saw a guy on instagram supposedly from Australia whom claimed the ABC mutation not a natural occurrence the mention that a chemical "like colloidal silver" were involved, that he had never heard of ABC in Australia before. The person also claimed to be from a local hemp group when it was suggested said person visit one in his local area.
The hybridized Subt #1 has been tested to contain only 5% THC, The breeder suggested insufficient plant vigor as result of the special growth characteristics are the reasons behind this. Could it be, that autoflower hybrids are able to produce more resin because they're more vigorous.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
Funny how this mutant strain comes back around every few years. If you read through the thread it's almost exactly four year intervals. In prohibition areas there's always talk about using it to trick people into thinking it's a different plant. There's a few problems with that, the main ones being that once it starts to flower it looks and smells like cannabis. The other being that the plant is a scraggy little mutant, low yielding and low potency. It's been tried but I haven't seen examples of hybrids that maintain the weird leaves along with higher potency and larger plant size. The genes may be mutually exclusive.

I've always heard it was found in a feral patch, no idea where. It makes sense. Having a century or two to breed every year undisturbed in an environment like Australia that doesn't have the natural controls that would eliminate weaker mutated plants. The Hunter Valley story shows how much cannabis can thrive when it's left to it's own devices. Plus how incredibly tenacious cannabis is, the 'authorities' said they'd eradicate it in 6-8 weeks, it took them 9 years!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Valley_cannabis_infestation

I'm not going to speculate about herbicides causing mutations, I'm not sure they work that way. Who really knows though. I don't buy the stories like the one CannaZen mentions about using colloidal silver to mutate cannabis. The ABC has been around so long and it's so weird there's bound to be origin myths. I've sprouted enough seeds to see crazy mutants over the years that were naturally. This spring I saw a plant that was one cotyledon, just a baby leaf. I spent a few weeks waiting for it to do something, then gave up and ate it.

The similarity to hops, especially the Japanese variety isn't surprising. I've grown hops for many years and you can tell they're relatives. To a lesser degree when I look at nettles and even certain types of trees I see similarities. The chemical factory inside the flowering clusters is what we're interested in. The 'resin' in hops is a light yellow powder, the flowers are a little bit crystally. The dark green leaves remind me of Afghani plants. It's a shame they separated so long ago they can't cross but on the other hand man has created enough hybrid monster animals and plants already. Cannabis as it is can satisfy me for many lifetimes.

W

Water-

Funny how this mutant strain comes back around every few years. If you read through the thread it's almost exactly four year intervals. In prohibition areas there's always talk about using it to trick people into thinking it's a different plant. There's a few problems with that, the main ones being that once it starts to flower it looks and smells like cannabis. The other being that the plant is a scraggy little mutant, low yielding and low potency. It's been tried but I haven't seen examples of hybrids that maintain the weird leaves along with higher potency and larger plant size. The genes may be mutually exclusive.

I've always heard it was found in a feral patch, no idea where. It makes sense. Having a century or two to breed every year undisturbed in an environment like Australia that doesn't have the natural controls that would eliminate weaker mutated plants. The Hunter Valley story shows how much cannabis can thrive when it's left to it's own devices. Plus how incredibly tenacious cannabis is, the 'authorities' said they'd eradicate it in 6-8 weeks, it took them 9 years!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Valley_cannabis_infestation

I'm not going to speculate about herbicides causing mutations, I'm not sure they work that way. Who really knows though. I don't buy the stories like the one CannaZen mentions about using colloidal silver to mutate cannabis. The ABC has been around so long and it's so weird there's bound to be origin myths. I've sprouted enough seeds to see crazy mutants over the years that were naturally. This spring I saw a plant that was one cotyledon, just a baby leaf. I spent a few weeks waiting for it to do something, then gave up and ate it.

The similarity to hops, especially the Japanese variety isn't surprising. I've grown hops for many years and you can tell they're relatives. To a lesser degree when I look at nettles and even certain types of trees I see similarities. The chemical factory inside the flowering clusters is what we're interested in. The 'resin' in hops is a light yellow powder, the flowers are a little bit crystally. The dark green leaves remind me of Afghani plants. It's a shame they separated so long ago they can't cross but on the other hand man has created enough hybrid monster animals and plants already. Cannabis as it is can satisfy me for many lifetimes.

"Though they’re not the hops used to make beer, the specisis humulus yunnanensis, native to Southern China, is garnering a lot of attention right now. Originally due to cross-pollination with wild cannabis plants, these hops took some cannabinoids into their working systems, including CBD. Dr. Bomi Joseph selectively bred the found plants for maximum CBD production and said derivative is called ImmunAG."

https://thefreshtoast.com/cannabis/hops-cross-pollinated-by-cannabis-make-for-legal-cbd/

CannaZen

User 444420 reporting.

We've all heard it originated from a feral patch Yeah, Where, Why in Australia. I believe in Occam's razor principle, its most likely a chemical mutation IMO now but.. I would love to believe its a natural occurrence, as you said man Has created monster hybrids and mutations. In all this time only one single feral patch has been found when the species could have mutated and separated like ABC long ago many times over thousands of years?

therevverend, With much respect, Ducksfoot mutation does not carry into flower. ABC mutation does.

Kalyseeds breeder claimed that his ducksfoot/single leaf mutations were hybrids with japanese hops. Most hops species chromosomes dont match with cannabis, naturally. We dont know if any hops species has matching chromosomal count naturally (to date).

Like i dont think any hops species produces the proper precursors to produce the precursor cannabinoid CBG to produce CBD but.. some obscure article says that some cross pollination happened naturally in china IIRC from what I've read. Its actually legal to grow hemp or sell CBD produced from hemp in 2018 (when the article was written).

IMO ABC is absolutely the most novel cannabis mutation to date. If you google the top cannabis mutations ABC takes the cake hands down along with that leaf bud mutation. (Would be lovely to cross all these mutations together into a single plant)

Needless to say hops is only one of the relatives to cannabis in the Cannabaceae family, its already been classified as such.

In prohibition areas there's always talk about using it to trick people into thinking it's a different plant. There's a few problems with that, the main ones being that once it starts to flower it looks and smells like cannabis. The other being that the plant is a scraggy little mutant, low yielding and low potency
I'm not growing it to trick people, I've grown plants right out in my front yard federal post office employees see during prohibition era that's still going on.

Some people dont appreciate its ornamental value like they would like to think, I suppose? To me, it is the most different unique looking cannabis to date, so much so that to the untrained they may not see it other than an herbal shrub, that's what makes it cool.. it looks like an herbal shrub and yet its still cannabis. Even i see it that way.

The ABC Mutation is bad ass! its just different.. :) If it were about resin i wouldn't be growing them, If it were about stealth i wouldn't have regular plants in my front yard for all to see. I simply find ABC plants to be very special novel and unique. Who knows.. maybe the leaf structure doesn't allow for much resin production but what if the plants were hybridized to grow larger. What if many unique and novel mutations like autoflowering were combined into a single IBL with the ABC. Pretty special IMO. Its just badass.. its fun?

You may find photos of ABC in flower on instagram from

• hybritech
  • painted.forest.farms
  • csi_humboldt

Maybe i think its awesome that it is a mutation that originated from the prohibition era into the post modern legal era?

Last edited:

rolandomota

Veteran
I like that freak show plant it has awesome leaf mutations abc is cool but that freak show is something crazy to behold aswell they are booth freaky plants. I hope that freak show gets released it's just so different looking what a strange leaf pattern

CannaZen

I think i understand better now therevverend thats probably where ABC originated from; really special, let me clarify

Some people dont appreciate its ornamental value like they would like to think, I suppose? To me, it is the most different unique looking cannabis to date, so
much so that to the untrained they may not see it other than an herbal shrub, that's what makes it cool.. it looks like an herbal shrub and yet its still cannabis. Even i see it that way.
I dont know, I think that's sort of an accusation that were insinuating, Mutations are special. Just glad the seeds are available want to share the love. Freakshow looks like a fern Guy said the plants had 20% THC hahaha, the photo on icmag looks legit though.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78188&pictureid=1886030

Last edited: