What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The SCIENCE of Cloning

highonmt

Veteran
- Who's got it, cause I got nothing :)
Leave it to moo U! Cal Davis lives up to it's ag roots with this brief history of propagation. http://www.plantsciences.ucdavis.ed.../hrt298/topics_pdf/preece_propagation2003.pdfIt is an interesting read. The plant physiology of tissue differentiation during the rooting of a vegetative plant cutting is quite complex and although I've read some papers on the subject; time, as always quite cruel, has erased the details. I'll look up some of my notes on the subject.
Regards,
HM

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Science of cloning:
Cut a branch from a HEALTHY donor and strip the bottom 2 nodes of leaves and shoots.
Stick it in a moist, well drained medium.
No rooting hormones necessary!
Cover with a humidity dome to maintain a high level of moisture and slow transpiration.

Remove Dome after 7 days, you should see roots coming out the bottom of the medium.

Class dismissed.

-Chimera

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cloning is a hard thing to generalize about because everyone's environment is different and it's a case of finding a procedure that works for you where you are. certainly if Chimera can get roots in 7 days from any strain then he's doing better than me! i have good success but it can take 2-3 weeks for some strains with me.

ive seen spurr post about testing with iodine for starch on the stems (which is what helps drive rooting) and that cuts taken from lower down the plant tend to have more starch and root better.

getting just the right amount of fresh air is important. i use a dome but also a tray with drainage holes and tape most of them up, leaving just one at each corner - that seems to get the right balance for me...

so, short answer, not much science here either :D

VG

ion

ha! thats great....yer covered in four responses my man/woman........2 0f those 3 links are what i used recently then chimera tops it off with the bottom line....k.i.s.s........i subtracted 2-3 yearsof my life last fall going thru some life-event where the universe would not allow me to clone.....5-10% success rate.....then i combined ideas from said links^with dr.buds clone idea....he uses a small rubbermaid-like container(6"x12"-ish), fills with perlite, sticks the clones directly in, pulls when rooted.....i use jiffy pellets(24-28 per cont) and im at 90+% now .....AMERICA!! FUCK YAH!

however, i cannot condone the use of peat pellets anymore as ive learned that peat bogs are being eaten by the human virus to the extent that peak peat is imminent.....well, BAU ya know.....gonna try the same idea with a coco brick and cut off pieces to use insteada pellets.

good luck, dont get too frustrated, keep at it, and if yer still suckin', talk to your plants.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Does everyone else find Male clones harder to clone and keep maintained?
What about best photoperiod, temperature, and humidity?
I agree with all that say it is pretty easy, I like heated, Covered sand tables, they root in 5-10 days, 2 weeks at the most. If I can't get over 90% something is wrong.
-SamS

designer

What about best photoperiod, temperature, and humidity?
I agree with all that say it is pretty easy, I like heated, Covered sand tables, they root in 5-10 days, 2 weeks at the most. If I can't get over 90% something is wrong.
-SamS

Once you determine sex it is much harder to clone (I have never been successful at cloning a flowering plant). Is that what you are talking about or are you saying the cuttings from all your vegging plants didn't flower? I never had that problem if that is what you are saying.

I seen someone stating that it was impossible to keep a mother plant for an Auto Flower strain, bit it made me realize it is much harder to keep a male flower alive in any strain. Once a plant begins to flower it starts it's cycle of death,

Honkytonk

-SamS

Not harder to clone but harder to maintain because they release pollen once they start pre-flowering.
Some went from pre-flowering to full flowering when they got 'older' (3+ years) under 20/4 lights.
Had some success with revegging those which started full flowering by taking clones and putting them under 24/0 lights.

El Toker

Once you determine sex it is much harder to clone (I have never been successful at cloning a flowering plant).

I got lucky the first time I tried it, but have never been successful since.

The thing to do is re-veg the flower, which takes about three to four weeks under 24 hour light (longer under 18/6). This is like pressing the reset button (I think).

I've often wondered if a mother was flowered and re-vegged whether it and it's clones would go into flowering a little faster after that, because the relevant genes had already been activated once. If that was the case it would be worth flowering and revegging a mother before using her for clones.

BPJR

I have a cloning tutorial under my signature. It's only one way of many but it does work.

Good luck and most importantly don't give up!

Cheers,
Bobby

B

Buffoonman

I find keeping the medium at a constant temperature helps. i.e use a heated propagator or heated mat.

Pseudo

just do it
Veteran
i use a 10 gallon aquarium set up like an easy cloner, worked awesome for the longest time, then all of a sudden i couldnt clone shit, soggy stems, i searched around and found a method where you use worm castings tea, throw castings in a stocking and aerate the day before, 100 percent ever since

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use the jiffy pellets or sphagnum peat in seedling planters in trays with a dome. Roots in 5 to 12 days. 95%. I think the microbial population in sphagnum peat moss helps success rate. There are two sides to the sustainability of peat harvesting.

http://www.peatmoss.com/pm-me4.php

one Q

Quality
Veteran
not put more than a small light on them either. 1 flouro tube or 1 small cfl, that's it. Too much light, even when all other things are good, will result in bad clones.

Latest posts

Latest posts