What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stynky's summer 2017 greenhouse

Hi guys,

Been a while! Finally getting back to growing. I always find a way back to my girls. Hope to see some old heads around.

Time to get my summer grow log going. This is at a friend's house - my indoor grow isn't going to be set up for at least a month yet. The main goals for the project were to make something presentable, keep costs and labor down as much as possible, and meet the legal requirements for a "secure enclosed structure." The guy who owns the house is taking the bar in a couple weeks and has to be 100% legally compliant. No fudge room. The project has been slow moving since all of us have other jobs and all we can do is a few hours a night once or twice a week.

Got 8 plants. I'm dropping the strongest 6 in to a 11'x14' greenhouse. Three are from seed and I mixed up the labels so I don't know what is what. Five are from a local clone dealer. Kinda crappy strains but oh well. These plants are very young and small - I got started too late.

The greenhouse gets fair sun but has a small tree dead center a few feet behind it, so it gets some shade in the day. Not a bad thing - the summers here are hotter than I'm used to and I didn't want to spend on shade cloth. The green house is a metal pole structure wrapped in 6' chain link fence and covered with a double layer of 6 mil plastic. The greenhouse has an irrigation system set up on a hose and timer.

The soil mix we're using is organic and has been cooking for a couple months. Wish I'd cooked it longer but oh well. I was trying to stick to water only but his house's tap water is very basic so we're probably going to have to do some ph correction and add some epsom salts. I don't remember everything that's in the mix. Blood, bone, kelp, crabshell, rock phosphate, neem seed meal, mushroom and worm compost. Few other things. I'm going to be adding a bag of spent coffee grounds today to try and bump the ph a bit. The plants are getting transplanted into their 25 gal smart pots in about a week.

I'm finishing securing the envelope and walling off the front and back later today. Should be good to go very soon. It's been quite the project.

Last edited:
Ended up keeping the last two plants for the greenhouse. Transplanting them and caulking in the irrigation system today. Those are the last two tasks for this build in.

Got two more indoor grows lined up that I'm starting soon. One should be sometime in the next month, the other should be a little over a month out. I think I'm getting either a 24 or 36 plant card so I should be able to do some good strain hunting as soon as my personal one is in. Got a list a mile long of girls from unstabilized lines I've wanted to try but couldn't legally pop enough seeds to hunt through when I was medical in a different state.

Last edited:
A

acdc

howdy sirstinkalot I'm loving the cheap ventilation :biggrin: tis always looking very nice your garden:huggg:

Hi ACDC! Thanks! Cuts costs, still meets the legal requirements, and fixes the problem. Like DHF says, "many ways ta skin a mule..."

I just started a new job and have missed an update. The first four pictures are from 7/29. The last 6 are from 8/4 (today). Coming along nicely I think... but I'm never happy and would nitpick my girls to death if I could. Still, only minor problems, and since this is my first greenhouse, it's in a new climate I've never grown in before, and I have only actually grown organic cannabis for about five years, I'm going to bite my lip and let the girls do their work. If we could get a gigantic chiller so I could run a 36 plant light dep greenhouse on aero in the same space I'd be a lot more comfortable but it is what it is.

I've always done either straight outdoors or straight indoors. I knew some of the issues I'd have, but I'm still learning something new every day. The cheap construction is actually helping because it's mimicking outdoors more closely than it is a tight commercial greenhouse, meaning it's at least halfway in my wheelhouse. So at least there's that.

Here are the ones from 8/4

Last edited:
8/4 continued - The little guy on the far left is getting shaded out until 1 pm by a 50 foot cottonwood. Not much we can do about it. Expect that one to stay stubby. Luckily it's pretty much just that 3'x3' corner that's having that problem.

Last edited:
We're in to flowering! I caulked in the irrigation system and moved the plants to their final positions in the tent. Should be on autofire for the rest of flowering.

redlaser

Veteran
Hell yeah, I'm interested in seeing anything your working on, good to see you posting.
Got to be good to be growing again.

Got a late start setting up my little greenhouse, using supplemental lights for half an hour during the night to break up photoperiod to get them a bit bigger till sept. probably

It is. It's just great. I was pretty butthurt after my rec grow fiasco so I focused on law school for a couple years instead. But I don't think anything can keep me away from my girls forever. Gardening is my yoga.

Glad to see you're still around here :D been a long time bud!

Last edited:
Here are a couple pics from 8/17 - the cover on the greenhouse got ripped up by some high wind so we're redoing it today or tomorrow.

Update from 8/25 - been very busy and having all kinds of problems at the grow. The plants are fine but the people who live at the site are having disagreements.

Update from 9/8 - the envelope tore and had to be redone around 9/1. I started fertilizing Floranova Bloom 1 tsp/gal every other watering around the same time.

Enclosure's getting ripped up again and there are some early signs of spider mites on one of the plants. The work never stops. But at least the girls are starting to look good and get heavy. Smells like heaven in there.

last pic for 9/24:

Looks like the thin, scraggly dingus of a plant in the back corner is going to get turned into hash if it doesn't start filling in soon. Been fidgeting with it all season but that corner of the greenhouse just doesn't get the right light. Shaded out by a huge tree. The plant behind it's a little behind schedule too but not as bad as the one in front.

Been busy as hell, sorry about the late update. These pics are from 10/1. Had a big windstorm on 10/5 that shredded the greenhouse envelope and knocked over the special child so no way to tell if it was ever going to get better now. Not too broken up about it.

As an aside I'm never using 6 mil plastic again. Had to fully redo it twice so far this season.

PICS!

Latest posts

Latest posts