What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

#3 per Light w/ 3wk veg?!

mushroombrew

Veteran
Just flipped another 16 seedlings. Pheno hunting can be lots of work.

Without exception I take two cuts from each seedling and then flip. And that is because you just never know. That little runt looking plant that you didn't clone turns out to be the best thing ever. Hope it re veg's for you lol!!

And here is why I do it.
The Key west Cobblers (High CBD Hemp x 92 Florida OG) have the potential to be great pain killers. This one is very OG leaning. Right up my alley!

GainGreene

You are right about not getting the cuts and then that's the one you want to keep. Great structure in that KWCobbler

mushroombrew

Veteran
That Cobbler is really terpy too. Will make some killer extracts. If it is High CBD I will be super happy!
I need another medical strain in my life.

The others are Hemp dom. Will keep an eye on them. Could get OG flower structure on a very fast plant. That would be another win.

Growing from seed is so much fun. I feel that many people focus too much on the elites. Dont get me wrong there are several amazing cuts. But its all the sublte variations and terpene profiles that keep me popping.

GainGreene

I'm right there with you it takes time but well worth it in the long run. Looking forward to your crosses to see them develop and what you find. Goji has a fast and great structure as well just a beautiful plant to grow. Great smells and heavy resin production.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I'm right there with you it takes time but well worth it in the long run. Looking forward to your crosses to see them develop and what you find. Goji has a fast and great structure as well just a beautiful plant to grow. Great smells and heavy resin production.

I have 4 Goji females. One looks promising. The others are too Lotus dom which bores me.

The male was crazy tall and Hempy looking. But resinous if you can believe it!! Did not breed him but have clones.

The Goji is something that would work for a no veg SOG. Just so damn lanky. The one I like has a really nice OG flower structure. Still early will get some pics up soon. The clones are the fastest veggers in the building. Which is crazy because I thought I had the fastest vegger already.

I have a ridiculous stocky Grape Stomper male. He smells like sour grapes. Really yummy. Will hit my best Goji with him. Similar terp profiles. And hoping for a medium height offspring.

mushroombrew

Veteran
The wall is filling in nicely @ 10 days. Plants are about 2 ft tall. I really like the ergonomics. Really easy to maintain. Just acquired another facility. Will go all vert bare bulb if yields from this test are good.

G

Gr33nSanta

how could the yield possibly be anything less than good! you would have to cook em otherwise you are in for an epic run!

You have fans on the floor blowing the heat up?

mushroombrew

Veteran
So this is the side light OG test. One side has 2x 1000W on an angle. And (3) x 600's on a mover on the other side.

The plan is to put the (2) x 1000W on top. And use (2) x LED for side lighting. So HID side lighting on one side and LED side lighting on the other. Just waiting for the LED's to come in. Testing (6) units for the manufacturer. (2) in side lighting and (4) on a 4x8 tray in flower.

So far so good. Will defoliate aggressively on day 21. Should end up like a bamboo forest covered in little buds! Left some undergrowth. After defoliation will take off anything that doesn't get light.

Tall OG S.O.G. I think the yields will be staggering. Make low yielders yield. They are 4ft tall. They will finish at almost 6ft!!

mushroombrew

Veteran
how could the yield possibly be anything less than good! you would have to cook em otherwise you are in for an epic run!

You have fans on the floor blowing the heat up?

Have really good airflow. Incoming cold air down low. Hot out the top.
And several oscillating fans. But I keep them low. OG's hate wind on their leaves. Whole different approach to growing those fussy bitches.

GainGreene

Should be interesting to see what LEDs you will be working with. My thoughts are that LED although not for everyone have benefits. Lower heat, great for clones and veg, great for high resin production and healthy plants, just may not produce more product. Great thread

mushroombrew

Veteran
The LED engineer is making some ridiculous claims. He has lots of industrial lighting experience but not Horticultural. He claims (2)x 100W units will out yield a 1000W Hortilux.
Well I say "bullshit". I expect to have to use (4) on a 4x4.

Unless he is using chips with 300% more output per watt? If I am wrong I will apologize!

Anyway giving him the benefit of the doubt. Will run (4) on a 4x8. But if they plants don't perform I will squeeze them into a 4x4 and fire a 1000W back up.

Trying to keep an open mind. But it just sounds like a major stretch.

GainGreene

There are two distinct types of lumen output produced by lamps.

The first referred to as photopic or design lumens, represent the relative sensitivity of the eye under intense lighting such as sunlight. Photopic lumen output is light registered by the cones in the human eye and is measured by standard lumen and foot-candle meters.

The second type of lumens, called scotopic, represent the sensitivity of the eye under typical interior lighting conditions and cannot be measured directly with a standard light meter. Scotopic lumen output is the amount of light registered by the rods of the human eye and also controls pupil size directly effecting visual acuity for tasks.

Basically what we are talking about is how the LED light is perceived. The high CRI(ColorRenderingIndex) tricks you into thinking the light is actually brighter when the output may be half. So if a street light that is 400watts HPS can be replaced with an 200watt LED or Induction due to the high CRI of these technologies. Best all around light I have found so far, for myself, in the 315CMH. Like I said though I believe there are places where LED can be used to achieve great results but no way 200W will come anywhere near a 1000W maybe 600W of LED could get close. The full spectrum of LED will however produce more resin, keep plants healthy, clone faster, great for taking photos etc..

mushroombrew

Veteran
There are two distinct types of lumen output produced by lamps.

The first referred to as photopic or design lumens, represent the relative sensitivity of the eye under intense lighting such as sunlight. Photopic lumen output is light registered by the cones in the human eye and is measured by standard lumen and foot-candle meters.

The second type of lumens, called scotopic, represent the sensitivity of the eye under typical interior lighting conditions and cannot be measured directly with a standard light meter. Scotopic lumen output is the amount of light registered by the rods of the human eye and also controls pupil size directly effecting visual acuity for tasks.

Basically what we are talking about is how the LED light is perceived. The high CRI(ColorRenderingIndex) tricks you into thinking the light is actually brighter when the output may be half. So if a street light that is 400watts HPS can be replaced with an 200watt LED or Induction due to the high CRI of these technologies. Best all around light I have found so far, for myself, in the 315CMH. Like I said though I believe there are places where LED can be used to achieve great results but no way 200W will come anywhere near a 1000W maybe 600W of LED could get close. The full spectrum of LED will however produce more resin, keep plants healthy, clone faster, great for taking photos etc..

Agreed. 200W is not much input energy. The owner has a "vw" engine that he says can go as fast as a "porsche". But hasn't raced one?!!

He has done zero side by sides.

It's my consultants friend. So I agreed to this bogus test.

The units are 100W each. He started out saying one was enough for a 4x4? Then conceded and said two. I say at least four.

I highly doubt they will work. Output is very nice; power not so much.

And if you can believe it this m*****f****r charged me a deposit to test his lights?! Haha get a grip!! I will test them very concisely. So he can learn something.

So will start with (2) per 4x4. Then likely go to (4) per 4x4. They retail for $800 each. And $3200 per 4x4 is never ever gonna happen in my show.

They are made in America hence the price. Many many better options for that much money. Time will tell. Should have them in a week.

Junk

I don't think it's currently possible for 200w of anything to match a 1khps.

As far as the lighting, and I'm speaking laymen here, isn't there basically the spectrum and brightness, but also the intensity? LED is good at the first, bad at the latter? HPS is vice versa?

mushroombrew

Veteran
I don't think it's currently possible for 200w of anything to match a 1khps.

As far as the lighting, and I'm speaking laymen here, isn't there basically the spectrum and brightness, but also the intensity? LED is good at the first, bad at the latter? HPS is vice versa?

Well HID is very efficient at pumping out energy. But most is in the form of heat.

So it depends on application. A supplemental greenhouse needs heat in the winter. So running LED would be silly. Because then you got a propane bill.

Currently calculating BTU's necessary for a supp GH. My idea is to run
flip flop HID ballasts indoors. That will be a steady heat supply. Then the hot air goes into GH. And then maybe back into the indoor? So the GH stays warm and passively cools the indoor. May even be able to "seal" the whole system during winter months.

I think it will be an awesome setup. Found a new location. So will be playing around with efficient ideas.

I am totally impressed with the vert setup. 40sqft of wall with 1800 watts. With a second wall opposite thats 80sqft.

So 22.5W/sqft!! My other rooms have 62.5W per sqft.

If the vert yields it will be my new method for sure. Corridors of plants with bare bulbs. Too cool.

Essentially I could triple my canopy with the same lighting.

mushroombrew

Veteran
@Junk. Check out "surexi" LED chips. Insane penetration/intensity. Also a new 600W COB out there. Ridiculous penetration/intensity.

LED is the future.

Just not sure if they are for me. Power here is 5.5 cents per KWH. 66 cents per day to run a 1000W HPS. Almost free!

So $37 in lighting costs per 4x4/Harvest.

So spending tons on LED dosen't make much sense here.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
youd think i hadnt been in here for months! big things man! everything looking good too. im curious about your side by sides and demos, thanks for documenting and sharing!

mushroombrew

Veteran
Yes things are moving quickly. I aspire to be the largest producer of CBD's. And I got my eye on Switzerland! I am British so can get rolling in Europe too. I will continue to share my journey with you as long as is possible. I will be very busy in the next year. Hoping to delegate tasks and still have enough time to show you what I am up to.

The coming vert farm will be a sight to see I can assure you!

And my dream facility one day. There is a central corridor 150 feet long. Either side has windows like a delivery room. So you can walk down through all the plants. 80ft on each side. SOG planting. I cannot wait. 3000G of CBD CO2 extract per week. And then we will build another and another.

A Big "fuck you" to Big Pharma! I will eradicate as many pharmaceuticals as possible until the day I die.

Good things to come gents.

Phases

Hey mushroombrew,

I love your CBD idea! CBD has helped me big time. After two car accidents -
Chronic pain left to problems sleeping and for years I barely slept (got a lot of work done in the Grow Rooms when awake at all hours!) I ended up on sleeping pills for years and when I switched to CBD oil I was able to get off sleeping pills without any withdrawal and now I actually sleep twice as much than when I was on sleepers!!

Your work will help lots of people and I think your idea to rid our world of pharmaceuticals is awesome!! Keep up the good work!