What's new

Is 1 gram per watt realistic?

I read alot of this and that on this site, and from reading it seems everyone gets a gram per watt. Now I have always thought that a pound per 1k was the norm. Now 2lbs per 1k seems impossible to me. Anybody got the truth on the subject. Now if it is the norm, How?
Just thought I would bring this up cause in my circle this is a hot topic and I wanted to see what the fellow IC'ers thought.
Thanks

G

yes one gram per watt is doable...is as two..with co2...dont misconstrue others points of view because truth be told its up to you...how you love them and pack them nice...strain dependent of course or you will sacrifice...yield could be low or high but who cares im flying all the time...cant wait for my sour diesel to screw my mist...thanks rez for answering my turkey day wish....peace

G

i use no supplemental co2 and 1 gpw watt is easy if i grew that way...i grow perpetual and cant complain...peace

JWP

it depends on many variables. enviroment is the most important. get that right and your on your way.
you have to tweak it to get the result. e.g lumens a 600w will give nearly double of a 400w with only a %50 increase in power. see you can cheat/tweak
genetics. if you cant hit the target with chronic something is wrong with the enviroment.
veg times
growing style. scrog is your best bet
the list of small little tweaks goes on and on....

Last edited:

Momerath

Of course its doable, but like everyone else said, theres a million and one factors that determine your yield. However, its not the end of the world if you end up with .5 gpw, imo thats still a very successful grow :)

G

like someone else said, there are just a ton of ways to reach the goal. one can choose heavy yielding genetics, really long veg time, high plant count SOG grows, vertical grows, more efficient (in terms of yield) mediums and techniques such as high performance hydro systems, etc.

if you told us what you were working with maybe we could collectivelyh help you reach your goal :)

Big Brother

Guess yeild

Guess yeild

Yes according to Big Book of Bud books thier are a few strains that produce per watt of light during flowering,

I seem to remember people using the gpw formula with months, so it would be gpw per month. Otherwise the formula doesn't really account for how efficient your doing (if you add 3 weeks veg to one of your grows, your gpw would be way off if time wasn't factored in).

I remember some of those crazy numbers back on og and cw, and I think the norm then was gpw per month... Wasn't it? Or am I just stoned?

Y

yamaha_1fan

brainthor said:
your stoned...gpw is pretty self explanatory

Actually it is not. Time is an important factor and an important factor. What if I Throw 40 clones under a 1000W light and SOG them on 12/12 right away for 8 weeks and pulls 1lb. Then someone else puts 4 plants in a scrog, veges them for 12 weeks, and flowers them for 8 more weeks, and yields 4 pounds. The GPW would be much higher on the scrog. But if time is not factored in, the number is useless.

BTW the yields I mentioned are just for discussion/theory.

G

well a gram per watt would be a 1000 grams with a 1000 watter would it not...and yes the person who puts more veg time and love will get a gram or more per watt...its really not complicated and most growers have a second room just for veg...according to your factors what do they get per watt

Last edited:
Y

yamaha_1fan

brainthor said:
well a gram per watt would be a 1000 grams with a 1000 watter would it not...and yes the person who puts more veg time and love will get a gram or more per watt...its really not complicated and most growers have a second room just for veg...according to your factors what do they get per watt

Let me clarify. GPW is pretty self explanatory. However it not effective to compare the effectiveness of one garden to another w/o using a time factor. I could get .5 GPW and you could get 2 GPW. I could be going from clones to flowering for 8 weeks. You could be vegging for 6 months and growing trees. Yes your 3 GPW is higher but over 12 months, who grew more dope?

W

WaT iT Do?

i wouldn't mind havin a gram per watt on my 3 month perpetual harvest hahaha... that would b really nice

G

ok what about the veg room how to you calculate that into your equation of gpw...i mean i have 4...4 foot...40 watts each fluorescent for veg room i can veg for as long as i want without it slowing me down at all so do i get less than a gram per watt in my flower room because of this?
yamaha_1fan said:
Let me clarify. GPW is pretty self explanatory. However it not effective to compare the effectiveness of one garden to another w/o using a time factor. I could get .5 GPW and you could get 2 GPW. I could be going from clones to flowering for 8 weeks. You could be vegging for 6 months and growing trees. Yes your 3 GPW is higher but over 12 months, who grew more dope?

Last edited:
G

brainthor said:

well, IMHO, witha veg room involved, i'd just do a type of weighted averages type thing using the time per watt used.

im just going to use random times and stuff so don't rip into the detail for this example please

first off, lets decide to start counting from the time the seed pops or the clone is rooted and put into veg (since most of us, or at least me, use negligible wattages on cloning for the most part with small to medium grows

calender
-----------
newly rooted clones/just sprouted seeds put under 150w hps for 1 month to veg.
=150w X 1 month =150w

flowered under 1k for 2 months
=1000w X 2 months =2000w

150w + 2000w=2150w total

yield =1075g

grams per watt per month = 1075g/2150w= 1/2 gpwpm

i feel like i messed that up as simple as it should be........

20kw dreams

Some people just can't come to terms with using time as a factor. This argument is as old as the hills. IMO Time is def a factor. If we get the same GPW, but I finish mine in 1/2 the time, then I have 2x the total yield in a given day/week/month/year.

Anyways, to the point, I believ 1gpw is doable, but extremely difficult really. Pruning, genetics, and environment are the biggest challenges. I hit .85 or something...1&3/4 lb from each of 2 lights one time. Thing was, it didn't see any better of a grow then those since, but I hitover 1lb to 1.5 most of the time, when things go good. I think that is more common when you get things dialed in. Beyond that, you come to the point of diminishing return. That is to say it is MUCH harder to get past .75 then it is to get TO .75 or so. That being said, there are strains I'm sure which can make it easy, and others which it would be impossible.

The .5 to .75 GPH is applicable to quality strains that have a nice potency and yield. IMExp, the super large yielders lack something in the way of potency and bouquet.

Just my $.02

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Since I do not approach any GPW goals, I choose not to define my success or efforts in this fashion. I also have never weighed a crop out to see what final weight is, I count it in gallons. And a gallon of blue nepalese and a gallon of hashplants or sweet tooth crosses have a significant weight difference.

As long as you have some way to measure your crop from cycle to sycle to see if you are improving or not, I reckon folks should think about it in whatever way makes sinse to them.

My goal is to get stoned, hehehe.
H