What's new

600W Cabinets

skylined

I am considering building a cabinet that is 48" x 48" x 60", and I will be using a 600 Watt light and a carbon filter, of course. I'd like some ideas for designing it and also how to make sure that 600 stays cool. Thanks all. I'm going to build two of these, which will be less obvious than my current setup, as well as much easier to access and work with.

Peace,
~Skylined :rasta:

G

Build them taller if you can. Not only will you have more height for plants, it'll run cooler, or be easier to keep cooler. 5 feet isnt much when you subtract for pot height and space for your light.

I have a Hydrohut that is 78 inches. You be glad you have the extra height.

MT

skylined

The reason I try to keep the height restricted to five feet is so that the setup just looks like a few large storage cabinets (albeit homemade ones). I'm just wondering how one would construct an effective active cooling system on one of those lights.

Peace,
~Skylined

J

jipedestran

doing things on that scale, stealth becomes harder to come by. Venting a space like that, or venting a 600 or 1000 is going to cause some noise, no matter how well you baffle the sound.

why not bump it up to 1000, use a cool tube and temps in the cabinet will not be a problem.

i run 1000 watts in a 5'longx4'widex6'tall space. vertical cool tube. 7-8 plants around the lamp. 445cfm vortex cooling the lamp and exhausting the space into carbon filter outside room.

it is like the freakin sun in there. internal temps are not a problem now, summertime ambient temps will be, i will need to inject cool air into the surrounding room.

peace
mf

NOKUY

Veteran
skylined said:
The reason I try to keep the height restricted to five feet is so that the setup just looks like a few large storage cabinets (albeit homemade ones). I'm just wondering how one would construct an effective active cooling system on one of those lights.

Peace,
~Skylined

either an air cooled hood like this: (or cooltubes).
W/ an inline duct blower (this is a vortex 6"...449 cfm)...but slowed way down w/ a speedcontroler (this is in a closet, but same concept in a cabinet)

carbon scrubber for this set-up will go infront of the light and we'll pull the dirty air thru the scrubber out of the room

...you can also exhaust air thru the scrubber....as I do on my cabinet..below: (the above and below are 2 seperate grows...so don't be confused)
14504scrubber1.JPG

Last edited:

skylined

Nokuy: Your pics helped a lot, thanks.

HappyFloLucky: That thread was actually very instructive, although I don't know if I could build something of that quality. Seems it should be perfectly possible to keep the 600 cool as long as I have a good powerful fan blowing onto it, and good ventilation.

Peace,
~Skylined

Latest posts

Latest posts