What's new

35 Years in Prison for 1/4 pound of Cannabis in Texas

J

JackTheGrower

It seems like a moment out of the Twilight Zone that someone could get 35 years in prison for Cannabis when it was medical and about 1/4 pound.

For being caught with just over a quarter pound of pot, 54-year-old Henry Walter Wooten will likely spend the rest of his life behind bars, thanks to a jury in Tyler, Texas.

His prosecutor, Smith County Assistant District Attorney Richard Vance, originally sought a sentence of 99 years over the 4.6 ounces of marijuana police found in Wooten's vehicle, according to published reports.

We really have nothing better to do than keep the Texas prison industry running smoothly.
That quarter pound bust will cost over $100,000 to punish Wooten or was that over $1,000,000 for 35 years of imprisonment.

http://rawstory.com/2010/03/texas-jury-jails-man-35-years-marijuana-possession/

Can you imagine this in our day and age.. 35 years for less than a pound of cannabis? Doesn't that fall under cruel and unusual punishment?

Ernst

wdr

Veteran
I thought polish drug policy is piece of shit, i was wrong.. Thats human tragedy..

maxibiogreen

Veteran

Why are governements so afraid of cannabis ???????

tobacco legal
alcohol legal

if you kill someone in america you won t get 35 years

Having marijuana in the pockets seems to put you number one on the most wanted criminal list of the world.

I m ashamed of being human when i see that. When are we gonna be free to do something armless people??
Let me know if you know.

J

JackTheGrower

It's Insane!

Okay the Guy seems to be a dumb person for sure..

But 35 years?

Free Wooten!

tripa

Texas man...there's a lot of bad punishments for not so bad mistakes i've heard. I'm sure martial law will destroy many lifes.

T

texsativa

That does seem off, did he have any prior marijuana convictions? It is illegal, a year sentence, ok I could see that even though I don't agree with it. 35 years? That is an injustice.

ithinkiam

It's Insane!

Okay the Guy seems to be a dumb person for sure..

But 35 years?

Free Wooten!

2ivlkjd.jpg

heheh. :D

Leptosoma

sɔıʇǝuǝ⅁ ʞuoW
ICMag Donor
Veteran
human tragedy, you are right wdr.
When people will understand....

all stay safe bros:wave:

peace

R

REDEYE_420

WTF!

WTF!

WTF! 35 years!

The simple fact that governments around the world have made Nature against the law is a joke, but to send a 54 yr old to jail for 35 years for Cannabis-well that sickens the shit out of me!

F*ckin scum judge! F*ckin scum po-po!

Time for a REVOLUTION!

Also from the article:

Wooten’s sentence is identical to the punishment dealt to Alejandro Arreola, who was given 35 years in jail by a jury in Del Rio, Texas for his involvement in a multimillion dollar marijuana smuggling ring. Arreola, according to reports, transported over 24 tons of the stuff into the United States. His accomplice, Casey Bob Hutto, got 24 years.

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
We really have nothing better to do than keep the Texas prison industry running smoothly.
That quarter pound bust will cost over $100,000 to punish Wooten or was that over $1,000,000 for 35 years of imprisonment.

It cost tax payers $30,000 per inmate per year. So that 1/4 pound of devil weed is going to cost the american tax payers $1,050,000.

I blame privatized prisons. We need to get rid of them YESTERDAY. If our government dont have the time or resources to jail you, then obviously your not enough of a danger to be in the prison system.

Nobody should be in jail unless its for a heinous crime, like rape, murder or child molestation.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Wooten, who was convicted of two felonies in the 1980s, was also accused of marijuana possession in a drug free zone in 2008, the paper noted.

Strike 3...

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Obama needs to step in and pardon this fuckin guy, Jesus Christ man..what is this Signapore law?

Big Foot

The man got what he deserved, after all marijuana is a harmful dangerous herb that teaches people to think for themselves, not the government.