What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ocean Forest soil, which fertilizer

TheMonger

Hey guys! I am about 2 weeks into my flower and had a couple of questions. I used ocean forest soil mixed with perlite, and all 5 of my babies seem to be fine, yet I am worried about when I should start adding nuts and if so, which ones. I have purchased two, PBP Grow and some generic tomatoe fert with 13-13-13 NPK. Any suggestions about when to start nuts, besides epsom salt?

G

You should be thinking about using FF tiger bloom or PBP bloom,my two favorites.I may use the PBP grow another watering or two then cut back on the nitrogen.I wouldnt use that tomato fert

Mrpiston38

well i will show you a pic of my fert regament but also consider picking up some humbolts purple maxx snow and gravity which are added only 3-4 weeks before harvest.

this is my set up as far as ferts go GL

Mr.p

LivingTheDream

Piston, I see you have quite a bit of different fertilizers that you use, how do you know when/which to use. . .it's all so confusing. I see an organic thread on fertilizers, but not a chemical one, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

TheMonger

Thanks for your help guys! I will use the PBP grow because I have some already. I am about 2 weeks into flower, when should I switch to a different fert for blooming?

UmphreyMcgee420

Heady Connoisseur
Veteran
the bio products are pretty good as well. bio grow and bloom, alg a mic etc.

im sure you will here a million different things here, your best bet is giving something a try and see how it works for you.

best of luck:wave:

TheMonger

I will be purchasing some pbp bloom soon, anything else you would recommend picking up besides that? I will be slowly moving the babies over the next couple of waterings...

Regarding flower enhancers, if I could avoid spending a lot of money that would be good but I am certainly willing to give them anything they need....which enhancers should I purchase?

Last edited:

Rellikbuzz

Hey Monger! If you want to stay in the Botanicare line (PBP), Hydroplex is their bloom booster and works quite well. It's also reasonably priced for a bloom enhancer at under $20.00 per quart. Also, Botanicare's Liquid Karma is a bio-catalyst with a lot of organic goodies in it that kicks the plant's metabolism into overdrive to help the plant assimulate the nutrients. LK is a bit more expensive than the Hydroplex at $24.95 per quart. Both products are designed to work in combination during bloom. That would be a great line to start with as Botanicare is pretty straight forward, easy to use and very pH stable.

I can also tell that after using Ocean Forest soil for quite some time, you will DEFINITELY need Cal/Mag to supplement the magnesium. If you start seeing lite yellowing spotting towards the outer edges of leaves that eventually turns to rust spots, then you know it's a mag deficiency (assuming that your pH is in the correct range). That's another thing I noticed with Ocean Forest. After a few weeks of feedings, the runoff water out of my containers was waaaaayyyy acidic. It pH'd at like 4.8 when I was pH'ing my waterings/feedings at 6.2! The Ocean Forest needs dolomite lime added to the mix at a rate of 1 1/2 - 2 cups for a five gallon bucket. This helps buffer the soil pH more towards nuetral and combats Ocean Forest's tendency to become acidic after several feedings.

I noticed you were using Epsom Salts for your Magnesium supplement. You MIGHT get away with Epsoms but the Cal/Mag is a far superior source and is a much more concentrated form of magnesium. I highly recommend looking at some of Botanicare's Cal/Mag Plus. You won't be sorry. It runs about $20.00 per quart as well. Good luck, bro!

RB

Mrpiston38

Like i said before if you have a local hydro shop looking maybe geting some free samples of humbolts purplemaxx snow storm and or gravity. they are added in the last 3-4 weeks of flowering. and as for your Q about the order and confusion, I just picked up things that worked well together like the grow big has more nitrogen for veg and i have things that add more sugar and other nutes for flowering. Also remember that there is a good trick too, if you add one teaspoon of molasas/gal or water till the 3rd to last feeding that may also increase yeild. would be nice to get some photos to look at....

Mr.p

TheMonger

This was taken about a week ago....the blackberry bubba (bottom right) has just started flowering.....

Regarding the molasses, is it something special or just generic molasses? Thanks for your advice

TheMonger

I dont really mind moving away from botanicare line, I was just mentioning that I already had PBP grow. I will def look into the Cal-Mag and the gravity for later on, but for the bloom fert....is hydroplex too little nitrogen for my plants so early on....or should I mix it with my other ferts still....If there is a better bloom fert\enhancer I would not mind using that instead......lookin for recs before i drop by the store tomarrow

TheMonger

I will look at earth juice as well. From everyones answers, I have come to this conclusion. I need some sort of general fert (like fox farm beastie bloom or something else if you recommend it), a bloom enchancer (like Liquid karma or hydroplex), cal-mag to deal with problems arising from Ocean Forest soil, and gravity or some other form of hardener for the last few weeks....any corrections>?

G

Are you using tapwater?Is it calcified?If so,adding cal-mag will lock out your magnesium with the quickness.Too much calcium locks out mag.If you are using R/O water cal-mag is needed.

Welcome Monger,
I think you will need to keep it simple, as it sounds, you are new to this.

1st: Go get a bloom fert, floranova, PBP Bloom, Fox Farm Big Bloom, there are several others too. You need to decided if you want organic or not? I use the PBPbloom.

2nd: You need a good source of micronutes. Liquid Karma, Tiger Bloom, there are others, but those are the ones that everyone uses. I use the LK and I love it, Tiger and LK are organic.

I recommend you feed both these products every time you feed. Make sure you give them a dose of plain water between every feeding and allow your plants to dry out very good before you give them more of anything water/food!

Now to keep things in balance like PH and Cal/mag. I say you might need some kinda lime, usually dolomite lime and usually added to your soil mix before potting. I use Espoma Garden lime from Home depot. Buy I have added some lime to the top of my soil if I have forgot to add it before hand w/out any problems. Cal/Mag, Now I say just buy the cal/mag right away. I did not and my grow suffered using the PBP BLoom which really lacks those two ingredients.

Reveiw: get Bloom nute, a catalyst/micro nute like liquid karma, cal/mag, and lime. These are must have to keep your girls happy through bloom. Now if you got the money get the GRAVITY or PURPLE MAXX. I hear great stuff about those.

Molasses: Black Strap is the best, I use grandmas unsulphered, but I really want the Black Strap, I think it has more good stuff in it. And I have been feeding the molasses every feeding w/ my bloom and LK. I throw a drop of superthrive in too, not needed.

GOOD LUCK, and let us know what you do decide to go w/ as we can all help you w/ the usage.

DRKN_MNKY420

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
your soil is a good start FFOF is supurb can hold a plant over 2-3 wks with no ferts n/p. do your self a favor invest in a PH meter, PH test strips work ok but the digital meter is better i have a hanna non water proof 55$ cost. if you run with FF ferts watch your waters PH alot of ferts drop waters PH. i allways add ferts to water then test and adjust water's PH afterwards, i alternate fert feedings 1 water is plain PH'd the next has ferts
Grow Big for veg drops waters PH
Tiger Bloom for flower drops waters PH
Big Bloom dosent
i assume cha ching dose
open seasame dose
beastie bloom dose havent used these and with NPK values that high doubtfull thier organic based lol.
grow big and tiger bloom are organic based they contain trace minerls

i started with FF ferts had some bad tiger bloom wrecked the looks of my garden but i still managed to get a nice yield. now only FF fert i use is big bloom when i have it.
Liquide Karma
Diamond Necture
Pure Blend Pro Grow
growmore seaweed extract cold processed kelp
botanicares Sweet
botanicares CalMag+ is used during veg upto 2 wks into flower then i drop PBP grow seaweed extract and add at first sign of pistols
dry indoneasion guano
dry Budswell although i have some liquide ive been usen this run.

word of advise about dolimite lime in your soil be very carefull using calmag+ they could OD on the calmag you'll wind up with leaves going yellow then brown spots appear and leaf dies :rasta:. usally only the larger fans are effected only in extream cases will the smaller leaves on nug be effected.

GL on your choices growem green and huge :rasta:

Rellikbuzz

Yes, Monger, you can top dress your pots with the Garden Lime and this will time release through your waterings/feedings over time. Lime has a nuetral pH of 7.0 and helps to buffer your soil against pH drop from the built up salts that nutrients leave behind in the soil. This is why Ocean Forest turns acidic after time because it already has nutes in it to begin with. Dolomite Lime (aka Garden Lime) is your defense against that pH drop.

One of the things you can do to help combat these salts from building up is to follow a FEED/WATER/WATER regime. This means that for every three times you give your plants moisture, only one time is a feeding with nutrients. The other two are a plain pH'd watering. These two waterings will act as "mini-flushes" to help keep the soil sweet and practically guarantees that you won't over-fertilize the plants. You will find that most seasoned soil growers feed very, very little. The fact is that cannabis really doesn't need that much food to do their thing. Now, I know this will raise a "shit-storm" of debate but those are the plain facts. Yes, you will get those "mad scientists" amongst us that LOVE to overdrive their plants to squeeze out that last gram of yield but yield, to a large degree, is genetically determined and all the nutes in the world won't get it to go beyond that genetic limit.

Obviously, others feel as strongly as I do about the Cal/Mag. Magnesium is only found in low dosages in base nutrients like PBP Grow or Bloom. Not nearly enough to keep the plants happy. Advanced Nutrients found early on in their refinement of their nutrients that cannabis plants are Magnesium hungry plants and further supplementation would be needed to keep the plants healthy and happy and to reach their potential. Starting in mid-veg and continuing straight through flower until flush, Cal/Mag is a necessary part of any good nutrient regime for cannabis.

RB

TheMonger

i went to the store today and got this stuff called house and garden bio 1-component aarde nutrient (NPK 4-4-9). The guy was suggesting that over liquid karma and pbp bloom with an additive called Bud-xl bloom stimulator. It costs about the same and he said it would work, but I wanted to check you the experts before I opened the bottle. What do you guys think about H&G from holland?

The nuts talk about EC too, what does that mean and how can you adjust it?

Latest posts

Latest posts