What's new

tissue culture

Hey this stuff is kinda crazy - was looking around for some blueberry fruit plants & found this info.

Tissue Culture Applications To Improve Crops of Strawberries- Raspberries- and Blackberries

When agricultural crops are reproduced by division aka: cloning after several generations, often a decline occurs in qualities such as vigor, yield, disease resistance, plant and fruit appearance and uniformity of size or shape. This condition of decline is commonly called, “run out.”

Strawberry plants have demonstrated this clonal decline (running out) for many years. After growing strawberry plants for five or more years, gardeners became accustomed to dividing a clump of plants that contained the mother plant (oldest plant) in the center and replanting the smaller daughter plants to be used as seed plants the following season. Certain genetic, undesirable changes (mutations) were brought to the surface, as seen in daughter plants; as more and more plants were continuously grown, generation after generation. Some of these corrupting mutations may be visually observed as the plant vigor decelerates (declines); the yield of strawberries is less, and sometimes the berries are misshapen; and finally, the plants become extremely susceptible to diseases caused by virus, bacteria, fungi, insect susceptibility, and nematode victimization. Agricultural researchers advised strawberry growers to discontinue old variety lines and clones and were told to buy new, certified plants that restore the vigor needed to increase yields of future strawberry gardens.

This phenomenon of strawberry decline has been experienced with other agricultural crops such as sweet potato vines, raspberry bushes, blackberry bushes or vines, and banana trees. The problem with banana trees has emerged as the greatest possible catastrophe facing modern agriculture today, since bananas, produced only by plant division and not seed, are the most popular fruit in the world and may face extremely serious setbacks, unless the efforts of scientists from Israel to “clean up” the evolved, accumulated defects by using tissue culture that could cause the commercial banana production to rebound.

Old “run out” clones of agricultural crops have in the last decade been rejuvenated to produce unprecedented yields and to restore confidence in a high quality product. Growers of agricultural, commercial, crop plants can avoid clone decline, “run out,” by buying certified plants that have been grown under strict governmental watchdog supervision, under a technique called, “tissue culture.” To “clean up” problems in weakened, flawed clones of raspberry plants, a clump of cells is taken from the growing tip of the plant called the apical meristem. These cells grow rapidly and rarely contain virus or other harmful defects and are placed within a sterile growing medium, where they grow into a clump that develops roots and a growing shoot. This micro-plant is grown into many other mother plants called “nuclear stock mother plants.” These mother plants are sent out to be multiplied over and over into certified plants by nursery propagators with a regained vigor, disease-free status and desirable qualities that were once present in the original profitable varieties.

One eclectic segment of agriculture that has been negatively impacted by clonal decline, “run out,” is the pick-your-own operation, where berry plants are not replaced often by operators with certified plants. Diseases and pests appear as a greater threat every year. This same phenomenon of disease and pest buildup is well known in home gardens where tomatoes, pepper plants, and many other vegetable plants are abandoned after a few years in favor of new soil locations. The decline of strawberry plants, raspberry plants, and blackberry plants in pick-your-own operations can not always be reversed by simply replanting the site with certified plants, unless the soil is first fumigated and sterilized. Very little attention has been paid to certify muscadine and scuppernong grape vines to be free of virus, bacteria and fungal infestations in pick-your-own operations. Those grapevines are normally multiplied by various methods other than seed planting.

Recent improvements in offering agricultural plants for certification will ultimately insure the survival of valuable berry crops like blackberry plants, raspberry plants, and strawberry plants. Crops such as banana trees that are grown in tissue culture in Israel for planting in Central America can offer hope that commercial interruption of banana fruit will be avoided. Recent tissue culture advancements have given commercial growers the security of continued profits and quality, sweet potato products to enjoy by growers and consumers.

The application of tissue culture propagation to the future of canna bulb, (rhizome), and commercial production could save growers who are floundering in complaints and indecision to restore a once important agricultural crop with a promise of future profits and a satisfied wholesale and retail customer. This application of tissue culture to future crops of every type that are grown by plant division will determine whether or not those crops will survive and not “run out.”

http://www.tytyga.com/publication/T...f+Strawberries-+Raspberries-+and+Blackberries

* Im not sure if I feel alright about growing abominations like this, maybe its my distrust in genetically modified food crops but are these tissue culture plants the shiznit or not ?

on a different point - This research is leading towards a loss in overall quality on the clone to clone to clone method that many of us use here.

I know mushroom farmers do tissue cultures at home on there biggest shroom to stabilize there strain to grow even crops much like we do with clones from a mum.

Makes me wonder if one couldn't do some mad scientist stuff like that with mj, kinda like female liquid culture seed.

far out.. :ying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt1gNfZguk0

Whats the word on this oh plant wisemen ?

Could it be that the environment for these crops has changed enough so that the plant hasn't been able to adapt by producing variable offspring? Seems more likely than having a clone "run out".

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Tactical Farmer

Monrovia Nursery is the largest nursery-stock grower in the world with over 6,000 acres under their ownership in 4 states and another 25,000 under contract.

At their facility in Forest Grove, Oregon (a short drive from downtown Portland) is their tissue-culture lab and they turn out thousands of 'cuttings' every week for distribution to their other operations as well as re-selling on the wholesale market to other growers, research labs, etc. They've got it down.........

At an indoor garden store I saw a tissue-culture product and it was about $400.00 or so. That should provide new growers with something to entertain them while their first crop is lurching towards the finish line.

CC

Scrappy4

Veteran
I know folks who claim they have been running the same line of clones twenty years without apparent problems. Is this clone decline thing that big? And if it is, why not use more seed?

Then if we were to do tissue cultures, would it be as simple as taking the clones from new top shoots, or do we need lots of specialized equipment, like one of the videos hints at?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I know folks who claim they have been running the same line of clones twenty years without apparent problems. Is this clone decline thing that big? And if it is, why not use more seed?

Then if we were to do tissue cultures, would it be as simple as taking the clones from new top shoots, or do we need lots of specialized equipment, like one of the videos hints at?
Scrappy4

Here's a link to a thread here at ICMAG on another forum on this subject and it's well worth your time to scan and review, IMHO

As far as using tissue-culture propagation it is a process with a definite learning curve. For even a commercial garden it would be difficult to justify the expense other than having some really kewl bragging rights.

CC

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
Tactical Farmer

Monrovia Nursery is the largest nursery-stock grower in the world with over 6,000 acres under their ownership in 4 states and another 25,000 under contract.

At their facility in Forest Grove, Oregon (a short drive from downtown Portland) is their tissue-culture lab and they turn out thousands of 'cuttings' every week for distribution to their other operations as well as re-selling on the wholesale market to other growers, research labs, etc. They've got it down.........

At an indoor garden store I saw a tissue-culture product and it was about $400.00 or so. That should provide new growers with something to entertain them while their first crop is lurching towards the finish line.

CC

I get all my pot plants from Monrovia Nursery :laughing:

picture.php

And at a good price too... $19.95 :jump:

One day I hope LOL :wave:

I get all my pot plants from Monrovia Nursery :laughing:

picture.php

And at a good price too... $19.95 :jump:

One day I hope LOL :wave:

What would be even cooler than that would be is to get an sterile petri dish with a bunch of super females growing on some agar.

There was some old timer on youtube raving about his tissue culture mj crops. cant find it sorry, but its there with video.

somewhere ?

pretty nett anyway.

I think what makes this kinda different than standard cloning is that with tissue culture the plant grows with the vigor, etc of the seed plant.

I know a standard clone is a copy but clones never really have quite the vigor, build, yield etc of a special seed plant on its first run though its cycle.

or do they typically ?

"all getting to know a strain over time aside"

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
What would be even cooler than that would be is to get an sterile petri dish with a bunch of super females growing on some agar.

There was some old timer on youtube raving about his tissue culture mj crops. cant find it sorry, but its there with video.

somewhere ?

pretty nett anyway.

Maybe, I dont know Tactical Farmer.... Can it say cool shit and tell you how great it is in a petri dish? I'm not gonna buy it unless it says cool shit and tells me how great it is... LOL :ying:

picture.php

Oh and get some cool stickers n shit... I'll buy it if it comes with some cool ass stickers LOL

picture.php

Isn't it nice when all your shit tells you how good it is? If it keeps saying this over and over, it must be good!!! LOL :laughing:

I thought about tissue culture for a bit.... But I'm not growing orchids... :wave:

picture.php

Cool thread :thank you:

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
I think what makes this kinda different than standard cloning is that with tissue culture the plant grows with the vigor, etc of the seed plant.

I know a standard clone is a copy but clones never really have quite the vigor, build, yield etc of a special seed plant on its first run though its cycle.

or do they typically ?

"all getting to know a strain over time aside"

Hmmm... How would a tissue culture of a seed plant differ from a clone of a seed plant? Has anybody done a tissue culture and a clone of the same seed plant and shown the results? Why do you think "that with tissue culture the plant grows with the vigor, etc of the seed plant."?

:blowbubbles:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Hmmm... How would a tissue culture of a seed plant differ from a clone of a seed plant? Has anybody done a tissue culture and a clone of the same seed plant and shown the results? Why do you think "that with tissue culture the plant grows with the vigor, etc of the seed plant."?

:blowbubbles:

I can't answer your question directly but I can offer you the following information that you may find helpful. Or not.

At Monrovia Nursery's tissue culture operation in Northwest Oregon this process is used primarily for bulk propagation to ship to their other operations around North America. Smaller footprint = reduced shipping costs.

Having said that it's also true that this company takes thousands and thousands of cuttings each week - both field plants as well their behemoth greenhouse operations.

Once the cuttings are removed from the donor plants, they're placed in wet burlap and taken to the 'rooting sheds' where they're trimmed and treaded with Dip-n-Gro with a gel agent added.

The cuttings represent over 90% of propagating plant material.

This technology has been employed by commercial nurseries for at least 25 years. It's a process that is not without detractors with ROI being the major point of contention.

HTH

CC

Plant Whisperer
Veteran

I can't answer your question directly but I can offer you the following information that you may find helpful. Or not.

At Monrovia Nursery's tissue culture operation in Northwest Oregon this process is used primarily for bulk propagation to ship to their other operations around North America. Smaller footprint = reduced shipping costs.

Having said that it's also true that this company takes thousands and thousands of cuttings each week - both field plants as well their behemoth greenhouse operations.

Once the cuttings are removed from the donor plants, they're placed in wet burlap and taken to the 'rooting sheds' where they're trimmed and treaded with Dip-n-Gro with a gel agent added.

The cuttings represent over 90% of propagating plant material.

This technology has been employed by commercial nurseries for at least 25 years. It's a process that is not without detractors with ROI being the major point of contention.

HTH

CC

I love Dip-N-Grow!!!! :blowbubbles:

picture.php

Thank you for the info Clackamas Coot, tissue culture is a good tool when used properly. :thank you:

At the nursery we would get Colorado Blue Spruce trees (and more) wrapped in burlap during the winter, shipped from Oregon. :wave:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran

Growing conifers is a major component of the horticulture industry in Oregon and Dip-n-Gro owns it. Completely. Totally.

A couple of years ago the Dip-n-Gro company began to offer a gel agent that you can read about and/or order directly at their web site. It runs about $15.00 per lb. and you use something like 10 grams to turn a gallon of liquid into a gel.

I'm not making the argument that you would want to use this product but if there came a point in time where you felt that using a gel vs. a straight liquid would be beneficial then you could still get the benefit from the straight Dip-N-Gro formula and have it in gel form to boot.

FYI

CC

MrFista

Veteran
This article states the opposite of the science about tissue culture. Tissue culture is highly mutagenic, cloning is not.

Tissue culture can save a line from disease if the apical meristem is free of disease (but the host plant is diseased). For certain berries the thornless variety is a mutation in the L1 layer of the meristem so they must be cloned as the seeds have the genes for thorns still in them.

Sounds like a commercial spin to me, more control of food using pseudo science to push their agenda. Seeds are where it's at. What do we want - a whole array of plants that have the chance to reproduce variety including adaptive variations - or a bunch of clones susceptible to exactly the same thing.

If we stopped fucking the environment with poisons, soil degredation and monoculture we'd not have anywhere near the problems the food industry faces today.

Grow your own food, old school varieties from seed, these idiots claiming they are trying to feed the world (chem pushers, GE pushers, tech pushers, machinery pushers, oil pushers) will be the death of us all. Revolt!

Sokan

I am now trying to propagate bubblelicious/afgan kush. It is hard as there is just a little information about cannabis tissue culture and what kind of media recipe would be the most efficient in growing callus/shoots/roots. Other thing is the sterilazation...I have tried few ways to do that. One from greg green`s breeders bible which did not work out - all explants died in few days because of contamination. The more successful one is the same method as it is used to serilize the african violet. I do not want to go into detail about my methods as I have just started and have no results yet. It takes much time, so if you want to find out the best media to grow callus/shoots/roots you have to have space, time, ingredients and will. Or just wait till someone does it :)) take care.

Latest posts

Latest posts