Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > RECENT interesting findings

Thread Title Search
RECENT interesting findings Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2017, 09:57 PM #291
Cannabologist

Cannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to behold
Nope they aren't within T5 fixtures, they are LED ballasts only and all the light is put out via diodes.. I'm blanking on the names of these 2 particular brands, I'll find out again in a few days. Both of these use differently colored diodes of varying wavelengths of light.

Certain bulbs are also supposedly a more complete spectrum, including UV, such as ceramic metal halide and the Hortilux Blue bulbs, and as you state with all of these, eye protection is recommended, and they can cause sunburn if you are close enough and your skin is exposed long enough under them.

So.. Yeah Idk. Even being around traditional HPS without enough eye protection I know I've probably hurt my eyes some so always with anything personal safety is recommended first and foremost.. Ie pesticides, inhalation of powdered nutes, wear gloves as much as possible, protect your skin, air ways, and eyes, etc.... Not only do so many of us always skimp on these things, we straight up say fuck it!... Eh.. We really shouldn't.
Nor heed the rumble of a distant drum!
Cannabologist is offline Quote

Old 03-01-2017, 10:36 PM #292
led05

led05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannabologist View Post
Nope they aren't within T5 fixtures, they are LED ballasts only and all the light is put out via diodes.. I'm blanking on the names of these 2 particular brands, I'll find out again in a few days. Both of these use differently colored diodes of varying wavelengths of light.

Certain bulbs are also supposedly a more complete spectrum, including UV, such as ceramic metal halide and the Hortilux Blue bulbs, and as you state with all of these, eye protection is recommended, and they can cause sunburn if you are close enough and your skin is exposed long enough under them.

So.. Yeah Idk. Even being around traditional HPS without enough eye protection I know I've probably hurt my eyes some so always with anything personal safety is recommended first and foremost.. Ie pesticides, inhalation of powdered nutes, wear gloves as much as possible, protect your skin, air ways, and eyes, etc.... Not only do so many of us always skimp on these things, we straight up say fuck it!... Eh.. We really shouldn't.
None of the MH bulbs I've ever tested marketed as a plant bulb has had any actual useful amounts of uva/b including the hortilux .. fluros are really the only legitimate option on the market for uvb and really only medical grade or bulbs for industrial uses, again fluros, if someone is making lights w actual uvb diodes, I would be extremely surprised and curious as to whom, uvb diodes are prohibitively expensive, id like to test the ones claiming as such, hopefully you can recall
led05 is offline Quote

Old 03-02-2017, 12:56 AM #293
Cannabologist

Cannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to beholdCannabologist is a splendid one to behold
Ceramic metal halides are (apparently) quite different from traditional metal halides, which is why I made the distinction.

I'll get you the brands in particular soon... I know people have had amazing growth with them, and I've seen the results.

The claims of the manufacturers are that the bulbs (such as the Hortilux Blue MH bulbs) are that they are putting out usable UV light. There are cautions on the box warning to use protection due to the UV exposure, ESPECIALLY if the bulb is damaged or broken.

People seems to state that there is more than just the typical light bleaching from too much light with lamps if you leave them too close, you get "other kinds" of stress burning that is atypical of light bleaching... So.. Again... All these anecdotal reports.. And anecdotal tests lol...

Leaves the imagination wondering. I still gotta screw in this new bulb and see how it goes! Hope I don't burn my eyes out when I stare at it's glory lol

Old 03-05-2017, 04:33 AM #294
G.O. Joe

G.O. Joe has a brilliant futureG.O. Joe has a brilliant futureG.O. Joe has a brilliant futureG.O. Joe has a brilliant futureG.O. Joe has a brilliant futureG.O. Joe has a brilliant futureG.O. Joe has a brilliant futureG.O. Joe has a brilliant futureG.O. Joe has a brilliant futureG.O. Joe has a brilliant futureG.O. Joe has a brilliant future
Cannabis Domestication, Breeding History, Present-day Genetic Diversity, and Future Prospects
Robert C. Clarke & Mark D. Merlin
Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences
Pages 1-35 | Published online: 02 Mar 2017
https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07352689.2016.1267498

Humans and the Cannabis plant share an intimate history spanning millennia. Humans spread Cannabis from its Eurasian homelands throughout much of the world, and, in concert with local climatic and human cultural parameters, created traditional landrace varieties (cultivars resulting from a combination of natural and farmer selection) with few apparent signs of domestication. Cannabis breeders combined populations from widely divergent geographical regions and gene pools to develop economically valuable fiber, seed, and drug cultivars, and several approaches were used with varying results. The widespread use of single plant selections in cultivar breeding, inbreeding, and the adoption of asexual reproduction for commercial drug production, reduced genetic diversity and made many present-day cultivars susceptible to pathogens and pests. The great majority of drug Cannabis cultivars are now completely domesticated, and thus are entirely dependent on humans for their survival. Future ramifications remain to be realized.
G.O. Joe is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:15 AM #295
Cannabologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by led05 View Post
None of the MH bulbs I've ever tested marketed as a plant bulb has had any actual useful amounts of uva/b including the hortilux .. fluros are really the only legitimate option on the market for uvb and really only medical grade or bulbs for industrial uses, again fluros, if someone is making lights w actual uvb diodes, I would be extremely surprised and curious as to whom, uvb diodes are prohibitively expensive, id like to test the ones claiming as such, hopefully you can recall
Yep! I got it! it's the Kind LED, and also the Titan LED... Well, I'm not too sure on the Titan, I believe it puts out UV, but the Kind certainly is supposed to... Supposed to.. It seems to given what it does (need to wear eye protection, can burn plants, etc)..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:48 PM #296
led05

led05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to beholdled05 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannabologist View Post
Yep! I got it! it's the Kind LED, and also the Titan LED... Well, I'm not too sure on the Titan, I believe it puts out UV, but the Kind certainly is supposed to... Supposed to.. It seems to given what it does (need to wear eye protection, can burn plants, etc)..
Thanks...

I measured Kind with this meter, it registered either 0 or .1 UV index, every LED I have ever tested measures nothing, including all the Cree CXB, Vero etc, NO UV, they are all BS making those claims (Cree and Vero of course don't make those claims, BC they're not true) - The cost of an actual UVB diode just isn't worth it when you can add it easy / cheap with Fluros and the light permeates the room, it's not like a 6-12" fluro thing for regular spectrum, it goes easily 4+ feet at UVB > 10 Index with right reflector.....

https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.h...FRGHswode7YAYg

The UV Index actually represents very closely the exact range UVB is beneficial to plants, reptiles etc - which is why I bought this meter... Someone running a full spectrometer would be nice on all these LED's but I already know what it would show RE UV, interesting how none of the ones have graphs that show actual UVB (280-315nm - the mid range Ushio bulb I linked peaks at 306nm) for their lights....

here's a spectral graph of Cree for example, note where the NM stop, hard.... Page 10 https://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cr...ds-CXB3590.pdf

Enough on this matter though, I'm done clogging up this thread.... hopefully it'll bug Sam enough to run tests again with modern bulbs and all his cool testing equipment I wish I had access too......

Last edited by led05; 03-05-2017 at 08:10 PM..
led05 is offline Quote

Old 03-06-2017, 06:05 AM #297
Cannabologist

Huuumm. That's interesting for sure. I saw another test on the kind vs a meter and it wasn't producing any, but I don't really buy the test they were doing and something seemed fishy how they were doing it...

Suffice to say it puts out.. Likely not much to no UV. The website and other claims seem to state it puts out, well, at least a little...

https://www.kindledgrowlights.com/pa...nd-par-reading

Verrry little.. Like, from mayyybe 250 nm on up, but you don't start getting much "usable" light until 400nm... So yeah.. Hmmm hm hm hm... hmmm hmm. Yeah it's likely more close to nothing. Or at least you'd have to get so close to the bulbs to get the effect you're torching em anyway. hmm
hhmmm
hm
hmm hmm hmm

Yeah that Cree's doing nothing.

Have to see about the slight investment in a UV meter meow...

What other brand recommendations would you have for UV and other meters (par, spectrometer, etc?).

What actual bulbs would you recommend this all being the case, if any, for UV?

Old 03-06-2017, 05:11 PM #298
neverforget4/20
Banned

neverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the rough
[quote=led05;7843562. fluros are really the only legitimate option on the market for uvb QUOTE]

https://www.htgsupply.com/products/ag...t5-bulb-4-foot
In my experience this tube cranks out uvb
neverforget4/20 is offline Quote

Old 03-06-2017, 06:27 PM #299
Sam_Skunkman
"RESIN BREEDER"

Sam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivor
Guys please make a thread for UVB....
-SamS
Sam_Skunkman is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:53 PM #300
Sam_Skunkman
"RESIN BREEDER"

Sam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivor
x
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O. Joe View Post
Cannabis Domestication, Breeding History, Present-day Genetic Diversity, and Future Prospects
Robert C. Clarke & Mark D. Merlin
Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences
Pages 1-35 | Published online: 02 Mar 2017
Doi: 10.1080/07352689.2016.1267498

Humans and the Cannabis plant share an intimate history spanning millennia. Humans spread Cannabis from its Eurasian homelands throughout much of the world, and, in concert with local climatic and human cultural parameters, created traditional landrace varieties (cultivars resulting from a combination of natural and farmer selection) with few apparent signs of domestication. Cannabis breeders combined populations from widely divergent geographical regions and gene pools to develop economically valuable fiber, seed, and drug cultivars, and several approaches were used with varying results. The widespread use of single plant selections in cultivar breeding, inbreeding, and the adoption of asexual reproduction for commercial drug production, reduced genetic diversity and made many present-day cultivars susceptible to pathogens and pests. The great majority of drug Cannabis cultivars are now completely domesticated, and thus are entirely dependent on humans for their survival. Future ramifications remain to be realized.
Sam_Skunkman is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.