What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best rosin press under $1k?

Punto Rojo

Hello
I'm using a Harbor Freight 12 ton H Press ($125) with a 3x5 Low Temp plates cage kit (about $420. for the kit)
The setup is working fine so far but I'm getting problems getting the clear terpy concentrates that we all know and love. Currently working at 190F pressing for about 60 seconds.
Has anyone been getting light colored concentrates?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are you pressing? Flower? Hash?

Trichome maturity/handling plays a dominant role.

Chasing a personal preference in consistency is an uphill battle. Chopping earlier and a good cure will get you closer to your goal.

Punto Rojo

I would get a Harbor Freight 20 ton industrial hydraulic shop press for $259 and a 3x5 low temp cage kit from Low Temp Plates for $479. I have a similar setup, but with a 12 ton Press

Punto Rojo

Mikell
I am pressing mostly flowers
I have been told I need to use plants that have just dried and cured in order to get this or kief from young plants.

brown_thumb

I'm a newb so take this with a grain of salt...

The cheap $124US (used/delivered) vulcanizer I bought works really well. It'll be a cold day in hell before I spend $500+ on something that isn't significantly better (for low volume needs).

Lrus007

Veteran
building my own plates. i am going with round 6".
waiting on a few parts yet. but to build plates and
heaters. the pid. relays and other parts i will have
$130 into plates. got a HF 12 ton on way for $139.
will be pressing 3.5 x 3.5 silk bags. with everything
i will be under $300. was my goal to have everything
for less than just the plates.
Lrus007

Attachments

• plates.jpg
    plates.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 12
G

Gr33nSanta

In my experience so far, I do not really care about it being pale. I have noticed that my darker and or not as pure concentrates are still really awesome and now that I use DC cleaner for my banger, I do not care if its not the highest grade. The darker stuff used to get my banger dirty but with the DC cleaner between each dab makes it that it is no longer an issue for me.

Flowers harvested early, low temps = pale as fuck, needs to be collected right away because otherwise it's impossible to pick up with the dabber, it turns into powder

Rosin made with mature flowers, well cured, end product is a bit darker, makes for very stable rosin. ( shatter )

Bubble hash rosin, dried well before pressing, ends up slightly darker than flower rosin, great shattery stable rosin.

Bubble hash rosin, not dried enough, gooey, impossible to pick up

Flower rosin, flowers still too fresh, gooey, impossible to pick up.

Latest posts

Latest posts