What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strain Selection

ReefermanKush

Hello ICMag,
I'm new here. I have a few questions about the grow I've just started.

I'm looking to select a few mother plants. I've started 10 Reeferman Harmony, 10 Dutch Passion Holland's Hope and 10 Blueberry Dutch Passion.
So far 7 Har popped 10 BB and 9 HH.

My plan is to clone at week 3-4 or asap, and then switch the seedlings to 12/12 and flower them out.

My questions are as follows:
Is it bad to use a mother plant that is not grown from seed?
Should I wait to flower my rooted clones instead so that my seedlings can become future mothers, is it better to have a seedling mother or a clone mother?

Guess its really just one question for now, but I hope to talk later to people who have grown these seeds about the different phenos of these plants.

Thanks! :biggrin:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A clone is the exact genetic image of the mother plant it came from, so if the mother had any health issues, the cutting will also suffer. Sooo, with that said, it might behoove you to start with seeds to find that special mama, then take cuttings.

Best o' luck!

ReefermanKush

A clone is the exact genetic image of the mother plant it came from, so if the mother had any health issues, the cutting will also suffer.

I did not think of that. But I am starting with seeds, I'm just wondering if I should flower out the mother (that came from seed) or use a clone. And forever keep that one mother in the vegging stage. I think I'll go with the second option, even though its more time consuming. I'll post up a grow journal. Only two seeds from the whole 30 didn't germinate.

corky1968

Veteran
What you can do is:

1. Start your seeds and take clones off of your seed plants.
  2. Once the clones root. Send the seed plants into flowering.
  3. Soon enough you'll know which clones are your keepers.
  4. Always keep at least one clone backup and your all set.

Tynehead Tom

I like to take my seed plants to week 5 or 6 before cloning/flowering.
If the line is being looked thru for keepers, I clone everything at week 5 and as soon as i have 1 rooted clone of each seed plant, I flower the seed plants, keeping the clones as future mums once i evaluate the seed plants at harvest.
Some guys keep the seed plants going and flower the rooted clones but a good 2 month veg under a good light is better for doing that so you get more clones hehehe.
But as I said, for me, when i'm plowing thru beans looking for keepers, generally a 5 to 6 week veg gets em big enuff for cuts then flowering, environment depending.

Jaqen H'gar

I did not think of that. But I am starting with seeds, I'm just wondering if I should flower out the mother (that came from seed) or use a clone. And forever keep that one mother in the vegging stage. I think I'll go with the second option, even though its more time consuming. I'll post up a grow journal. Only two seeds from the whole 30 didn't germinate.

I would flowwer the seeds plants and keep mothers from the clones, in order to get a crop faster. But either way is fine, you can make a mother from any generation cutting as long as the cutting is healthy.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you need a good yield flower the seed plants.
If you're only looking for what to cull, flower the clones & keep the seed plants as mothers so that you will have lots of potential clones by the time you make your choices.

Honestly, at this stage in life, it doesn't really matter, as long as your seed plants are healthy.

ReefermanKush

Thanks for all the input thus far! It's helped me weigh out the options.

Still vegging these plants, planning on switching them to 12/12 hopefully this week. Most clones that were taken two weeks ago have rooted.

Not as much genetic difference that I've noticed thus far. Almost all blueberries look the same, and have very indica looking leaves, some a bit more bushy, but minor differences. A strong smelling plant. Still have 10

Holland's Hope would definitely prefer it wetter, low humidity has been a problem, and these plants like the damp in my experience. One is still un-cloneable and starting to come back from initial shock. One close to the front of pictures is really stretchy. Still have 9

Harmony:
Not as indica looking as blueberry, but still thick leaves and bushy.
Still have 6

Hoping to notice much more variety when these plants are flowered

sGTV64X

1vgeo4t