What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Metal Halides for Seasonal Affected Depression

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
For some odd reason, I imagine having a bright light right above me is comforting.

20091107-8pwcdn91hmt5bi6ahuq1rh88ty.jpg

dreadvik

I did wonder if this worked it seemed to to me :) Shame all my lights are off atm except my fluros :( Come on seeds pop! :)

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
:laughing: LMAO!

I lived in the Seattle area for 5 years. I met people up there who were being treated for sun deprivation. They'd lay under UV lights 2-3 times a week for like 10 mins or so. I had to leave that area, I couldn't take the rain and lack of sunshine any more.

If your body is telling you that you need sunshine, you should listen to it.

Frozenguy

Veteran
I wouldn't do that!! the UV exposure isn't good for your eyes..

But there are light systems sold that are for depression lol. They call them happy lights. They are probably similar in spectrum to MH. Probably for people who dont get out into the sunlight very often; you get vitamin D from sunlight.

AKDrifter

Funny thread, but true.

Alaska has lots of cases of depression, suicide, and alcoholism is extremely bad during the long periods of dark and dreary weather that winter brings. Unless you keep yourself busy and active it is hard on some folks. I know for a fact exercise a few days a week and a dose or two in the tanning bed works wonders.

I am not sure what the tanning bulbs are, but they fight seasonal affective disorder.

Definition
By Mayo Clinic staff

Seasonal affective disorder (also called SAD) is a type of depression that occurs at the same time every year. If you're like most people with seasonal affective disorder, your symptoms start in the fall and may continue into the winter months, sapping your energy and making you feel moody. Less often, seasonal affective disorder causes depression in the spring or early summer.

Don't brush off that yearly feeling as simply a case of the "winter blues" or a seasonal funk that you have to tough out on your own — you may have seasonal affective disorder. Treatment for seasonal affective disorder includes light therapy (phototherapy), psychotherapy and medications. Addressing the problem can help you keep your mood and motivation steady throughout the year.

Personally, tending to a dozen or so babies under a 600w HPS completely cures any seasonal depression, and at the end of 70days of this prescribed therapy the trimming ritual brings an elevated level of happiness.

Dr.NO

I knew a kid who would sleep in the darkest places he could find like under the bed or in a closet so for some reason his parents put a big light (not sure what kind) over his bed to make him not do that and it worked. Pretty weird.

Latest posts

Latest posts