What's new

I Need a Centrifuge

G

Question:

I am looking for a reasonably priced laboratory style centrifuge that will handle 100cc vials or larger. I have searched the subject and all I find are the monster sized units (with monster price tags) included.

happy growing and peace

the Cheerleaders await your response :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Even the smallest ones cost a fortune(thousands). I personally would suggest wasting the cash on something more worth while that a centrifuge.

There was an article a few years back in scientific american on how to convert a used food proccesor into a simple centrifuge so i imagine an online search might give you a few ideas for a low budget one.
Slart

G

I am working on a project, that should it pan out I will share it with the entire Cannabis Community. If it flops I will still explain what the goal was anyway. Stay with me on this one folks, in theory it should work and if it does there will be a bunch of happy campers.

TY for the feedback.

happy growing and peace

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
So your going to nuke some sort of DEA convention?

Comon dude give us a hint, no ones going to steal your idea and do it first.. you have a dated statement that talks about a canna related idea but requires a centrifuge, tell us what that could be! Otherwise I bet I could come up with some ideas too, involving possible seperation of cannabinoids in a solvent or somthing like that.

Probably trying to take advantage of "density gradients" and thus seperating molecules based on weight. So theoretically, you can achieve a small amount of 100% THC mixture, along with the pure amounts of other cannabinoids. Thats what I think, anyway.

G

Senor-----------Bingo!!!!!!!! This "Budder King" fellow, by god I have thought and thought about how he makes it and all I could think of was mechanical separation.

I believe that there will have to be an agent/adjunct that most probably would need to be mixed in to act as a release and insure purity of the various defined layers.

Ha Ha, bet a few thought I was going to cook something.

I didn't find anything in my DIY blender centrifuges search, using all word combinations. Did find some reasonably priced 15ml x 6 and 8 vial units for around $250.00. Last summer I saw one at the Goodwill Industries receiving center, a real nice stainless horizontal model, little did I know the future.

Anyway, what the hell, need to decide on blowing 250 or try to make one. If I could just find a rotor I could build one quite easily with an rpm speed control, timer and brushless hi-speed motor.

Help or comments?

happy growing and peace

I have seen many centrifuges for sale, but you have to know where to look for them. I'd say the best place to look is near colleges. Usually at a college, they will have a store which sells used campus equipment for low prices - usually. Colleges are always getting the latest and greatest, so instead of tossing it, they usually try to sell it first. You can usually find some sweet stuff at the local school...microscopes, computers, projectors, furniture, etc.

by the way...it would be sweet to construct a large centrifuge to use for ice/water extraction...

G

SeñorYerbabueno said:
Probably trying to take advantage of "density gradients" and thus seperating molecules based on weight. So theoretically, you can achieve a small amount of 100% THC mixture, along with the pure amounts of other cannabinoids. Thats what I think, anyway.
That's what I was going to say. I've thought about trying it out but very old research seems to indicate pure THC will degrade pretty rapidly. Have you tried eBay? That's the first place I'd look for used equipment. If you know some students you can probably have them sneak in a test for you 'off hours'.

I believe that there will have to be an agent/adjunct that most probably would need to be mixed in to act as a release and insure purity of the various defined layers.
I was going just to try pure ethanol.

I think this is an awesome experiment and look forward to someone doing it someday. I would steer you away from trying to make one. Spend the money on a decent used unit which you could always resell. The tolerances on these units must be ridiculously tight to spin that fast that smoothly.

G

It was my intention to fully separate the solids into layers, removing the contaminants and mixing together the remaining product for purity eg: THC, resins, etc and no debris. I guess that COULD be budder or at least pure smoking pleasure.

OK folks, we are on a run here, thanks for the info on school stores. We have the Oregon State University and the University of Oregon (Go Ducks) in the area. Will check them out this coming week for used centrifuge bargains.

Push come to shove I could dip into the piggy bank and buy a New unit from "Mohawk Medical Mall.com". The thing is what in the hell am I going to use it for if the great experiment flops? Guess I could use it for separating cream from milk and make real butter LOL. or make a high speed carnival merry-go-round ride for midgets.

I shall ponder a bit more............

happy growing and peace

G

Let me confess, I threw this thing out there to get something going as I haven't read anything on the approach (and I do one hell of a lot of reading on many subjects).

I think viscosity, temperature, centrifugal speed (g's) and cutting agent volume would be important.

By the way, if I thought I could pull it off I sure wouldn't have posted a request for a centrifuge in any forum, let alone this one. If any one of you out there has one, speak up. If some one wants to step up and buy one, do so. I will give this a few days, check the area for used equipment and contemplate buying one used or new. We all could have some fun with this venture and possibly be enriched if you will, with a cleaner high? or whatever comes from this experiment.

Grandpa here is retired and on SS, I will check the play money jar and see if there is enough there to git er' done. Hopefully a used one can be found, preferably an adjustable speed 4, 6, or 8 vial rotor, a heck lets go for up to a 12 vial rotor, of at least 15ml capacity each. Note that as the vial count goes up, so does the price.

Ok lets keep the thread going and see what we can come up with, if anyone finds the Holy Grail post the info here and I will pick it up, or whomever wants to shell out the $$.

If this doesn't work I guess I could always use it working for a Urologist at a college prep school for gals.

Ty-Stik :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
You can use a fan as a centrifuge. Remove the cover, and securely tape your vial on the fan blade, turn the fan on - centrifugal activity will occur. Ceiling fan?
H

G

I think viscosity, temperature, centrifugal speed (g's) and cutting agent volume would be important.
Viscosity can be controlled by the amount of solvent used which also addresses point 4. Technically water is a solvent so I'm not necessarily talking harsh chemicals like acetone or something. I think ethanol would be fine. Warm room temps should work great. I think one of the most important aspects is centrifugal speed. A conventional fan wouldn't even come close, IMO, to promoting effecting separation. I think we're talking at least a few thousand rpm.

Levitikuz

Well i dont know if this soumds dumb but i got this fan for my grow room called the "vornado" and it goes up to 2000 rpms...it cost me $48 at wal mart..you think that would work?

Last edited:
G

Levitikuz: To be honest I don't know that 2000 rpm would work or not. The units I have been looking at are 3000 rpm fixed speed, to 3300 rpm variable (from 1000 to 3300) with some much faster than that.

The approach is to dissolve bubble hash in perhaps 190 proof alcohol and determining the correct viscosity so that when the various components in the solution separate they remain stratified so "debris" can be removed.

At first glance using a fan doesn't seem feasible as it would be difficult to find a true counter balance point and how would the vial come to a rest in a vertical or sloped angle, we also have the safety factor of the vial flying off the mounting.

I am considering (or rather was) a 3300 rpm variable speed until I got the closing bill for hospital and anesthesia from my recent operation. I definitely need to find a used unit after that big dollar hit.

Thanks for the suggestion

Ty-Stik

G

Well i dont know if this soumds dumb but i got this fan for my grow room called the "vornado" and it goes up to 2000 rpms...it cost me $48 at wal mart..you think that would work?
I'm gonna take a wild ass guess and say a Vornado was not designed to have a weight(s) attached to the fan blades.

Just bite the bullet and get a good used centrifuge. No need to rush. Just get a good deal as you can always resell it.

Levitikuz

lol i understand that fans arent optimal...i was just throwing the idea out there after somone mentioned a cieling fan.....i found alot of them on ebay for pretty cheap...

Bob Jones

Ty-stick, OSU has GREAT surplus sales regularly in Corvallis. I think they may list some of it on their website, that's where I would look. They have that sort of stuff regularly.