What's new

Does ''Winterized'' always come out as ''Shatter"?

theJointedOne

Veteran
As a non manufacturer of concentrate, I rely on both the legal medical and black markets to obtain quality extracts from time to time.

Through my research I've noticed the term 'winterized' used as a way to clean up waxes and other impurities out of bho.

Every picture I see online of winterized product, it seems to be in shatter state. However I recently came across a manufacturer named 'elicit labs' and they produce 'winterized wax'. Is this even possible? I thought the point of winterized bho was to remove waxes?

I've attempted to attach a picture of one of their products.

Thanks for the input

IMG_0050.jpg

Old Gold

"Waxing" can happen from things other than high presence of lipids, fats, etc. A little moisture or the right amount of terp/solvent evaporation would also cause nucleation to start, and with the right agitation and heat, that nucleation turns cancerous and a vacuum will finish the job.

If you've got a lot of water content in there, winterization won't remove that. Alcohols and ketones are freely soluble in water -aka they mix really really well. I doubt Elicit Labs utilizes that to their advantage.

I've seen winterized slabs start waxing, and I bet you if I raised my temp some more, rolled it around a bunch, and pulled a vacuum, some nice crumble would come out.

"Winterized" "Solvent Free" "The Clear" the current industry hard-on buzz words. In 6 months another set of buzz words triggering sales will evolve.

theJointedOne

Veteran
"Waxing" can happen from things other than high presence of lipids, fats, etc. A little moisture or the right amount of terp/solvent evaporation would also cause nucleation to start, and with the right agitation and heat, that nucleation turns cancerous and a vacuum will finish the job.

If you've got a lot of water content in there, winterization won't remove that. Alcohols and ketones are freely soluble in water -aka they mix really really well. I doubt Elicit Labs utilizes that to their advantage.

I've seen winterized slabs start waxing, and I bet you if I raised my temp some more, rolled it around a bunch, and pulled a vacuum, some nice crumble would come out.

Great explanation. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Old Gold

"Winterized" "Solvent Free" "The Clear" the current industry hard-on buzz words. In 6 months another set of buzz words triggering sales will evolve.

I kind of agree, but "winterization" is pretty well descriptive. All you could ask for beyond that would be to know if it was winterized with single solvent during extraction, or with a secondarily introduced solvent, and what those solvents are. Full knowledge. But a "winterisation" is a patented process (I believe) for removal of fats and lipids via cooling of solvent.

I kind of agree, but "winterization" is pretty well descriptive. All you could ask for beyond that would be to know if it was winterized with single solvent during extraction, or with a secondarily introduced solvent, and what those solvents are. Full knowledge. But a "winterisation" is a patented process (I believe) for removal of fats and lipids via cooling of solvent.

Agreed but it just gets thrown around way too much in the clubs I frequent these days in NorCal. A year ago nobody even knew what the word meant and now every buyer uses it in every other sentence as it's some sort of requirement for every concentrate that makes it's way into their shop. Between the "color" and "winterization" ............. it's getting out of hand.

TNEx

As a non manufacturer of concentrate, I rely on both the legal medical and black markets to obtain quality extracts from time to time.

Through my research I've noticed the term 'winterized' used as a way to clean up waxes and other impurities out of bho.

Every picture I see online of winterized product, it seems to be in shatter state. However I recently came across a manufacturer named 'elicit labs' and they produce 'winterized wax'. Is this even possible? I thought the point of winterized bho was to remove waxes?

Thanks for the input

I asked the same exact question in post of my own a couple weeks ago. It seems to me to be an oxymoron . It's really more of slick marketing buzz wording really. Gray Wolf says it would be more accurately referred to as a hydrate. I follow them on instagram and they definitely have a unique product that looks bomb. Whatever you wanna call it, it does look straight fyah tho!

TNEx

Thanks for the input

View Image
I asked the same exact question in post of my own a couple weeks ago. It seems to me to be an oxymoron . It's really more of slick marketing buzz wording really. Gray Wolf says it would be more accurately referred to as a hydrate. I follow them on instagram and call it what you wanna call it, but it look straight fyah
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=319711

S

SooperSmurph

As others have stated, there are multiple causes behind "waxing" of material that produced shatter initially.

The exact method of purging and air content (basically weightless and not as easy to measure) have been the main two enemies of texture in my product.

Obsidian

Veteran
to answer the op original question...no winterized bho will not always turn to shatter.
ie...sap.

PDX Dopesmoker

…is perfect for making black hash by mixing a powder with it. Where do you get a powder? Dry out the extracted buds and sift them. With the resin gone, it will be much easier to sift. Or use your imagination, finely ground plant matter or whatever.

I've made pseudo soft hash that way when I had oil that I wanted to be able to smoke on a screen without the running afoul of melting problem, I mix with lower quality kief and it makes something thats nice and portable and easy to handle at room temp and you can smoke it in a normal pipe. My one issue with it is that when you do it that way the stuff tends to flame after the first few hits and I find that annoying. I've has real soft hash before and it didn't tend to flame like that or at least I don't remember it do so (its been a couple decades)

Old Gold

Wonder why they use ethanol when plant wax is far less soluble in acetone, which is also the least toxic solvent available, less than ethanol. You might have to distill it if you buy it at a hardware store, just to be safe, but then you should be distilling the ethanol first too, which firstly isn't even pure alcohol, being 95%. Acetone is one of the best solvents there is for precipitating waxes. I read a marijuana book which specifically said that to make the best oil you should extract with alcohol, dry it, redissolve it in warm acetone, cool it in the fridge or freezer and filter precipitated wax. If people have already extracted the resin with butane, it's just a matter of dissolving it in acetone instead of ethanol and the rest is the same.

BTW, acetone works much better as an extraction solvent than alcohol too. It produces a much better quality extract which is thicker, less green, never crystallizes and is perfect for making black hash by mixing a powder with it. Where do you get a powder? Dry out the extracted buds and sift them. With the resin gone, it will be much easier to sift. Or use your imagination, finely ground plant matter or whatever.

Her face is haggard but her acetone.
I like that shit a lot.