What's new

Winterized Wax?

TNEx

So I've been hearing a lot about and seeing a lot of pics of "WINTERIZED WAX".
Seems that would be a bit of an oxymoron , no?
Isn't the whole focus and process of winterizing to rid the concentrate of its waxes , lipids , fats , etc....?
Thus making an absolute?

EastCoast710

all it takes is a tiny bit of waxes,lipids,fats or whatever it is to cause waxing lol..

ive winterized batches a few times.. and still could turn it into wax if I wanted to

Isn't the whole focus and process of winterizing to rid the concentrate of its waxes , lipids , fats , etc....?
Thus making an absolute?

To some people, every concentrate is "wax". They don't know/care about the proper terminology. Probably same reason we don't call wax a "concrete".

dope_roor

ive come across this before too, where something that looks like honeycomb budder was advertised as winterized co2. i wanted to inquire/argue but looking at the bud tender just decided it wasn't worth it.

curious to hear if indeed you could budder up a winterized concentrate, i was also under the impression the whole point is to remove all plant lipids

blackoaks

As far as I understand it, there are a few reasons behind winterizing your product.

First, the fats can sometimes make the smoke a little harsher and has an influence on the taste. I've met a good number of people who feel that winterized product tastes "cleaner". I know I have dabbed some concentrates containing a 7% by weight fat content and it certainly made my rig dirtier at a much faster rate than normal. Not sure if that would translate to anything depositing in your lungs but either way, I've heard urban legends about that but not sure how much stock to hold in it.

Second main reason I know people winterize is to get a more visually clear wax as well as to achieve more of an amber colored product. Pure fat is white and typically makes waxes appear more yellow in color and cloudy in appearance.

TNEx

I would agree with both of those . My question is, what if anything would be the process for "winterized wax"? Is it even possible to have a "winterized wax" or is it just a clever marketing buzz word?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thus making an absolute?

A play on words, because winterized oil hydrate drags on the tongue.

Winterizing removes plant waxes to make an Absolute, which some brothers and sisters turn into a hydrate, which they call a wax.

Water I'm guessing. Nucleation? I've seen it in winterized patties. I'd show you but it's not pretty and I'd get into a lot of trouble.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
THats interesiting. All winterized concetrates shatter into solid pieces?

No. It is probable if all water and solvent are removed afterwards, and if the material isn't decarboxylated.

Latest posts

Latest posts