What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vibe in Hawaii

41hope

OH thanks for the info exactly what I was looking for. You mentioned if I can get a card to move out into the country others say getting a card is a bust. Not sure what to do here. I wanna make it more difficult for the law not easier. Is there power & water in the country how are the house built and cost for rent?

JOJO420

Veteran
Ok, I live on the big Island. I own my own land and have done every type of grow you can imagine. Here is my take.
Outdoors is spotty with the rippers and the cops. Green Harvest is almost constant. You never know when you will get flown. Sometimes its days on end. It can be really nerve wracking to say the least. And they might do days on end for weeks straight.
The rippers are the worst I have even seen. You will get ripped eventually, no matter how careful or secretive you are. They are BAD on every Island, no matter where you go. Its a fact of life if you wanna grow in Hawaii..
Now take into consideration the weather. It's tradewind weather. Could rain for weeks on end, or be dry for months. You just never know. Worse weather I saw was one year in Nov, three days after Thanksgiving , it started to rain, HARD, and did not stop till end of March. It was wet and cold for months on end. I was able to grow during this, but only small plants and it was more depressing than anything I have ever encountered. So be ready for rain.
Then there is the heat and humidity. You will be spending a fortune and fighting heat and humidity if you go Indoors.. Only indoor I saw there in 10 yrs was import. If you go greenhouse, which is a good idea, be ready to buy a serious ventilation system. Not to mention it sticks out like a sore thumb to the green harvest.. It can be done however.
Most growers here don't know what they r doing. Its so damn easy to just plant a seed and get a bud, that most growers are hacks and no real breeding is done. The genepool is all over the place and most plants will not make it in the jungle cause of weather, bugs, rippers and copters. Not saying it cannot be done, but you really need to be on top of your game to make it as a commercial grower in Hawaii.
The economy sucks, to put it bluntly. You do not wanna put all your eggs in one basket over here. If your grow fails, you are out of luck and broke in Hawaii, wich is the worst thing you could ever imagine. Have a back up plan and a back up bank account.
Im sure I will give you more advice if you want, but these things came to mind in the 10m I have on IC mag today.
Good luck and ALOHA!!

G

Guest 150314

Ok but greenharvest can't do anything if you legal, correct? Or are they going to come search your property if you have greenhouse or plants spotted?

Even with the low plant numbers it seems like you could make good numbers growing huge sativas in a greenhouse. Big island has cheap land.

Anyone want to trade for a place on vancouver island lol

Midnight

Veteran
Ok, I live on the big Island. I own my own land and have done every type of grow you can imagine. Here is my take.
Outdoors is spotty with the rippers and the cops. Green Harvest is almost constant. You never know when you will get flown. Sometimes its days on end. It can be really nerve wracking to say the least. And they might do days on end for weeks straight.
The rippers are the worst I have even seen. You will get ripped eventually, no matter how careful or secretive you are. They are BAD on every Island, no matter where you go. Its a fact of life if you wanna grow in Hawaii..
Now take into consideration the weather. It's tradewind weather. Could rain for weeks on end, or be dry for months. You just never know. Worse weather I saw was one year in Nov, three days after Thanksgiving , it started to rain, HARD, and did not stop till end of March. It was wet and cold for months on end. I was able to grow during this, but only small plants and it was more depressing than anything I have ever encountered. So be ready for rain.
Then there is the heat and humidity. You will be spending a fortune and fighting heat and humidity if you go Indoors.. Only indoor I saw there in 10 yrs was import. If you go greenhouse, which is a good idea, be ready to buy a serious ventilation system. Not to mention it sticks out like a sore thumb to the green harvest.. It can be done however.
Most growers here don't know what they r doing. Its so damn easy to just plant a seed and get a bud, that most growers are hacks and no real breeding is done. The genepool is all over the place and most plants will not make it in the jungle cause of weather, bugs, rippers and copters. Not saying it cannot be done, but you really need to be on top of your game to make it as a commercial grower in Hawaii.
The economy sucks, to put it bluntly. You do not wanna put all your eggs in one basket over here. If your grow fails, you are out of luck and broke in Hawaii, wich is the worst thing you could ever imagine. Have a back up plan and a back up bank account.
Im sure I will give you more advice if you want, but these things came to mind in the 10m I have on IC mag today.
Good luck and ALOHA!!

Anyone wanting to grow in Hawaii should read this post about a thousand times. Everything in it is spot on. Those fucks from green harvest got me once in 79, I don't know how it is now but back then they would just cut your shit and move on to the next plot. You'd only get popped if you got in their way or were growing acres.

JOJO420

Veteran
Anyone wanting to grow in Hawaii should read this post about a thousand times. Everything in it is spot one.
Thank you, very kind words. I agree, I hope everyone heeds my words, its a jungle out there :)

I don't know how it is now but back then they would just cut your shit and move on to the next plot.
Same old same old. It never changes. Now a days, you will never even see any follow up visit from LEO. Its a total snatch and grab operation. The only reason I see follow ups is because they had Meth and or Guns. If the LEO finds evidence of meth labs, firearms and hard drugs, any combo of said things, they bust the people involved. If your over 99 plants, they get the feds involved, and its a 100% slam dunk your fucked. Anything under 25 plants, and you have to talk to the cops, your golden if you have Medical or spiritual exemption. Anything over 25-99, It's up to the arresting office, the detective and thus his sergeant and captain whether to charge you. It becomes a local thing. If they like you, you will be ok, if they don't, well they bury you, bye, bye. Its Island style politics.

Ok but greenharvest can't do anything if you legal, correct? Or are they going to come search your property if you have greenhouse or plants spotted?
WRONG. ABSOLUTELY WRONG. Green Harvest is not the cops, well it is but its not. It's the same thing, but much worse, than C.A.M.P in California. They drop in off ropes here. They also drive in on trucks and bring the Dog. Once the copter spots your shit, they either drop their guys and cut and chop, put it in the bundles and fly off, or they call the trucks, and the ground troops come and they do the same.The dog then finds your hidden trails and runs your lines, they then go and chop your well hidden plants the copters DID NOT SEE. They then leave. Maybe at most a card from the detective on the table. I had one say " I you want your buds back call detective blah blah. I never did. fuck them. Last I ever heard about it though. I usually replant the next day. They sometimes give you about a 6 month break to get back on your feet. Sometimes longer. Then they come back in force, looking for your comeback crop. If they don't see one for a cycle or 2, they tend to loosen up on ya, OR NOT.. Its really a crap shoot.

Even with the low plant numbers it seems like you could make good numbers growing huge sativas in a greenhouse. Big island has cheap land.
yes this is true, BUT
who the hell are you gonna sell it too??? Everyone grows already. You are gonna have to ship it off the Island. But let me warn you, DEA, and local Vice are soo onto the shit leaving the Islands, that you are taking a MAJOR risk exporting.. Trust me, they dont check half the shit coming in, but going out is an extremely controlled "thing". The island economy thrives on the ganja, and people don't like outsiders coming in and fucking that up :)

41hope

Aw shit! Doesn't sound good but doable. Am I right by saying if I have 25 plants indoor or outdoor I have a stronger chance of getting caught than Cali but they won't arrest me just chop it down? If its indoor and they see all my shit in the house they just leave a business card after they rip? Commercial what things do you need to know? How do I get the community to like me including the police?

MtnLivin

I have friends that were born and raised on the Big Island(quite a few of them) a lot of them grow, BUT they say there is no GOOD weed there.. They all flew over here last summer and were amazed at the quality of bud in Cali compared to Hawaii.. Even a friend who has lived on Maui his whole life said the same thing when he moved over here for a year a couple years ago. They all keep trying to get me to move over there to grow... Not happening though.. Too much shit going on for me on the main land..

oldhaole

Veteran
Sweet Jesus ...Where to start?

First off they can't search your house without a warrant. Legal or not. They count your plants from the air. If they see 300 say hello to the vice cops. Feds are seldom if ever involved.

Your going to blow up your weight numbers...that's a given. How the law is written is very different than how its inforced and how the plant grows. The definition of a mature plant is vague. The law is still evolving. And if your trying to follow the numbers they won't touch it.

I get 7 plants. My wife gets 7 plants. I can be a caregiver for one person. Seven plants. Same with my wife. Another 7. If I chose to I can in this situation grow 28 plants. I choose to grow 21.

Localism exists. Explained that earlier. Some fool got busted with 300 plants indoors and a bunch outside. Looking at 20 years. Got 5 years probation, and a $5000 fine. Happened last month.

Get the card. I'll show you why in the next post.

fifth, simply put, your either running away from something, or your bum trash that doesn't want anything from life and want's to "chill". if you don't believe me go talk to people there, and you'll discover alot of people went to the islands to flee something bad going on, or as I said you'll encounter people like in a time stop thingy where all the want is nothing from life, they do nothing and that's the basis of there life. not saying this is good or bad but I'm being straight forward with you. look at it from a third eye view, the islands are very far off from other lands, and in the "middle of no-where",

Most of that post is true. Point 5 is bullshit.

As I said earlier we are a land of microclimates. If you live where the trades blow your going to have problems. But each island has a dry side too. Here on Maui there are areas that get 7 inches of rain a year. Live there and you won't have mold problems. Easily grow Indica there. You CAN pick where you want to live.

I've lived in this house for 20 years. Grown both legaly and illegaly. Been ripped once. Stupid fucks came back and my dogs got 'em. Hurt one of them bad. Never got ripped again. Remember...island.... reputation spreads, good or bad. I'm now known as the Haole with the pack of pitbulls. Though don't tell anyone, most of them died of old age years ago.

If you are guerilla growing Green Harvest is the cost of doing business. Not hard to avoid if you know what your doing. They'll get some, and you get some. Think of it as a test...Pass or fail. Green Harvest IS the cops. If your Medical they leave you alone. Put your numbers in a place where they can see it, they will count once, then they won't even hover over your grow.

Who the hell you gonna sell it to? That's what Oahu's for. Once again...who do you know?

And Mtnlivn is spot on. All the weed here is shitty. Especialy the outdoor trash. We live for indoor Cali bud.

Last edited:

41hope

That's what I'm thinking! Actually 1.5 is nothing. At 1st I was thinking Ohau cause of the population, college, tourist, and military base but I don't think its realistic to grow very large sativa's there so I figured Maui. When the new laws pass I figure I won't have a problem out performing the local gardeners (especially if they grow outdoor)but I'm afraid of a beat down, or a set up by growers with relatives in law enforcement.

oldhaole

Veteran
Why go Legal?

Why go Legal?

Here's why. Another crappy day in Paradise. If you want to see the whole show hit the link below.

This is a legal grow. Total cost, about 75-80 bucks a hole. The cops have flown over it a couple of years running and didn't say a thing. Now they don't even bother.

Hiding something like this is impossible. So get the card and don't hide. Get some dogs, maul a rip, and your golden.

Say Hello to a few of my girls. Hard to believe I'll only get an oz off of each of them.

It's pointless though. As soon as the Cali indoor gets here, I'll throw these away....yes, that's sarcasam.

I say this in the best possible way....The last statement said aloud to the wrong person here just earned you a beatdown. Your best bet would be to let your product talk, not your mouth.

And don't expect the laws to change anytime soon. Very little moves quickly here. The House and Senate are miles apart.

Anyway here are a few of mine. Now I'd like to see a pound half on a 2 and a half month old indoor plant. When you get here I'll happily put my best outdoor against your best indoor. That would be enlightning.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 38
  • The blob 17,18,& 19.jpg
    The blob 17,18,& 19.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Hole 12 8-17.jpg
    Hole 12 8-17.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 38
  • lsy's regrow 2.jpg
    lsy's regrow 2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 38
  • ladder for scale.jpg
    ladder for scale.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 38
  • rodney in bud.jpg
    rodney in bud.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 42
  • I have a dream. the wall.jpg
    I have a dream. the wall.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 42

Midnight

Veteran
41hope...No offense meant but, I can tell by the tone of this thread that you are going to have a hard time of it on the Islands. You'll probably get a good old fashioned beat down within six months of arriving and/or get popped then be back on the mainland within a year if you are not doing a couple of years. As far as growing indoor weed that is better than outdoor Hawaiian, no way, ain't gonna happen in a million years. I wish you all the best man, just make sure that your life insurance policy is up to date. Seriously.

I lived the life for eight years there, I know of what I speak. I took my beat downs (yep more than one) was lucky to survive one of the beat downs, spent 2 months in the hospital, had green harvest get me once, got ripped twice, got hassled by the cops multiple times (was very lucky I did no time or go busted) and, I had very good local connections and the only "real" market was to sell to the military, do export or sell to the tourists. all of that is street level shit, except export, trust me when I say, you do NOT want to be involved in street level dealing over there. As soon as you get involved on any street level stuff, the locals will take notice and you most likely will get a trip to some secluded part of the island and be lucky to come out alive.

All in all I was very successful there but was it worth it? Hell no. Just my .02 on the matter. Again, all the best man and I sincerely hope it works out for you.

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hawaii's like anywhere else... be respectful, be honest and humble and try to blend in, and you'll do fine. Take your time, mainlanders last on average 2 years in Hawaii, so locals won't be readily accepting of you...be patient and don't push. If you grow, use extreme discretion... just because med pot is legal, doesn't mean it's completely accepted.

The top quality product rarely makes it to the street, so having local growers as friends is essential if you don't grow for yourself. Encounters with leo will go your way more times than not if you treat them with respect.

41hope

OH my writing skills are not the best, I didn't intend to brag at all. You are right I don't get 2 pounds in 2.5 months it takes 60 days veg & 70 days flower. (harvest 5 times a year I could get 6 harvest but the extra time makes a huge diff to me)
I have a business background working and going to school (studying Botany) My younger brother has a degree in Botany and has 15 years experience as a consultant to farmers and as an agriculture inspector.
For the last 3 years he has been working for a multinational chemical & soil company consulting farmers in Norcal including the BIG MJ growers in norcal. From what we have gathered we cannot figure out how these big growers are gonna survive when the talent comes into this industry.
I'm just looking for people who I can learn from and take it to the next level. The reason I brought up my yield level cause so many in HI say indoor looses money and I wanted to know if yielding 2x makes a difference.
Your plants look good Its been a dream of mine to grow a large sativa so much so that it clouds my judgement. I guess I can't have both worlds in Hi growing out door trees but indoor comes 1st.

JOJO420

Veteran
You are right I don't get 2 pounds in 2.5 months it takes 60 days veg & 70 days flower. (harvest 5 times a year I could get 6 harvest but the extra time makes a huge diff to me)
It's a pipe dream. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. Hawaii is tropical and subtropical. The light never gets over 13.5 hrs in the summer. Your plants will not get as big and harvest as much as in, say California. Plus the big plants are ripper and copter magnets. Biggest plant I grew in Hawaii was 8 oz of tops. I know i could get bigger ones, but damn they are hard to hide.
You are gonna try and grow in a climate you have never grown in, It will take some time to learn how to grow Hawaiian style, trust me..
I really don't wanna tell you you cant do it, but your attitude is gonna need to be tweaked a little in my opinion for you to have a real chance of being successful. Good luck :)

41hope

JoJo it sounds like were getting outdoor and indoor confused. I'm an indoor grower who wants to grow out doors as well. I'm a Horiculture student who has been in the corp america rat race for 16 years. I do believe in perfect conditions out door will be higher quality but good weather is hard to find, when was the last time you bit into a ripe peach? Can believe the shit in the grocery stores. I grew up around farmers who lively hood depended on the weather.
What happened to all the agriculture in Hi?

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
I aint never been to Hawaii but if its anything like the island I lived on, you aren't moving there and starting shit, doesnt matter what business it is. You have locals that are already there and you think they are just gonna let you move in and set up shop? It's an island bro, people just can't leave if shit isn't working out, so you got a lot of pissed off people around that don't wanna be around that will do whatever to make a buck. I'm not trying to deter you from doing what you wanna do all I am saying is be careful and don't get killed...

Latest posts

Latest posts