Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Mite ID

Thread Title Search
Click for Weed Seed Shop
Mite ID Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2018, 06:33 PM #1
Dronefreak

Dronefreak is on a distinguished road
Mite ID

Can anyone ID this mite? They are very small and appear to have long hairs on them. I run rockwool (Capn Style) and they are in my roots and on the pots. None on the stems or leaves. Thanks!
Dronefreak is offline Quote

Old 03-17-2018, 02:41 AM #2
Dronefreak

Photobucket sucks!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180315_225302.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	449820 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180315_225049.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	449821

Old 03-22-2018, 12:28 AM #3
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant future
Yes it does. Vimeo is worse.

Doesn't look like a classic pest. Any plant damage or symptom?
Mikell is offline Quote

Old 03-23-2018, 06:50 PM #4
Dronefreak

Mikell,

Yes I am seeing some issues at week 6 of flower. Plants have noticeably less bud mass than previous runs of the same genetics which is what led me to look at the roots for pests.

I had an entomologist identify the mite as Tyrophagus (mould mite) and said it is NOT a plant pest.

I would have to disagree as I can definitely see a reduction in yield.

They are only in my flowering plants...nothing in veg room. Yet

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:58 PM #5
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant future
Shot in the dark, but perhaps similar to fungus gnats? Re: the pathogen is effecting the plant and the insect is along for a meal ticket.

How severe is the infestation?

Forgot to mention. Props for one of the best ID pictures I've seen.
Mikell is offline Quote

Old 03-25-2018, 07:18 PM #6
Dronefreak

Doubt it regarding the pathogen/insect scenario.

I run sterile and do not overfeed/overwater and would be able to see mold or fungus under the microscope if it was there.

Just these bastards....nothing else.

At this point I would consider them opportunistic....in that they probably would go for something other than my roots for a food source if it was there.

Full sterilization of this room after this run and I will be treating my veg plants just to be sure they are gone.

Thanks for the help

Old 03-25-2018, 08:28 PM #7
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Attempt at help. Be interested to read any results or discoveries down the road.
Mikell is offline Quote

Old 03-25-2018, 08:37 PM #8
metsäkana

metsäkana is a name known to allmetsäkana is a name known to allmetsäkana is a name known to allmetsäkana is a name known to allmetsäkana is a name known to allmetsäkana is a name known to allmetsäkana is a name known to allmetsäkana is a name known to allmetsäkana is a name known to allmetsäkana is a name known to allmetsäkana is a name known to all
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizoglyphus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarsonemidae

hairbutts some might eat weak plant roots or compost falling leafs and do just little damage to seedlings or weak plants like bulb mite for my exprience
metsäkana is online now Quote

Old 03-25-2018, 08:52 PM #9
Maple_Flail

Maple_Flail has a spectacular aura aboutMaple_Flail has a spectacular aura aboutMaple_Flail has a spectacular aura about
I'm no expert by any means, The ONLY time i've run into something like that is at a pizza place.. Looks like a Flour mite to me. however i'm no expert. I did exercise my google fu, and it tells me that Flour mites and Mould mites are related? unsure if i interpreted correctly.

Hope this helps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour_mite

It also occurs to me that the source of this pest might be unexpected.. visit any sketchy pizza places in the last month or so?

Last edited by Maple_Flail; 03-25-2018 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: for wiki referance just to make sure i wasn't imagining things
Maple_Flail is offline Quote

Old 03-25-2018, 10:05 PM #10
Dronefreak

As stated previously they were identified as Tyrophagus by an entomologist......Tyrophagus putrescentiae to be exact.

I have found numerous articles implicating them in greenhouse damage... which is consistent with what I'm seeing.

After this run is complete they will be GONE via CLO2, ozone and Pylon.

1 members found this post helpful.