What's new

o shit i just fried the ac cord connection please help

T

TREE KING

it was definitely stupid but i had my 12,000 btu ac hooked up to a skinny extension cord that wasnt meant to handle 15 amps of power. because of this i fried the extention cord but at the same time the ac cord got fucked up too. its crazy hot in the room i gotta do something quick. its hard to see but see how on the right side its blackish? now when i even plug it into the wall it doesnt turn on. i see how theres 2 little square things that can be unscrewed with an allen wrench can i replace this piece right here after i unscrew these? if i plug the ac into the wall and wiggle it around the ac turns on for a split second but it doesnt stay on.

this is an lg ac

Attachments

• 000_0074.jpg
    000_0074.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
T

TREE KING

ok guys i think im in business lg customer service told me that i have to buy the whole cord which is this one right here
http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/search/part/285133
he said even though i gotta buy the whole cord i can still just unscrew the 3 prong piece with an allen wrench and replace it with the one from the cord. i just wanted to make sure with you guys are they correct about this?

T

TribalSeeds

ok guys i think im in business lg customer service told me that i have to buy the whole cord which is this one right here
http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/search/part/285133
he said even though i gotta buy the whole cord i can still just unscrew the 3 prong piece with an allen wrench and replace it with the one from the cord. i just wanted to make sure with you guys are they correct about this?

Do you have a way to plug it in without an extension cord when you get your shit fixed?

T

TREE KING

Do you have a way to plug it in without an extension cord when you get your shit fixed?

i do if need be but it makes things a bit harder. its no big deal though i just need to get a cord thats alot thicker, the one i was using was a fuckin joke im surprised it lasted as long as it did

i just got a pm from a member here that said i need a green handled robertson screwdriver not an allen wrench thank you sir. saved me a second trip back to the store tomorrow i dont have the right tools

Last edited:
T

TribalSeeds

How long did it last on the extension? Any idea what made it finally go out??

T

TREE KING

How long did it last on the extension? Any idea what made it finally go out?

it lasted almost a year lookin back at it i dont know how it did lol. the fuckin thing was so skinny i think the final straw was i took it off a timer so it was on more during the dark cycle so it just got too hot from being on hours and hours in a row. the good news is i just realized i got another 8000 btu lg ac that i dont even use and it uses the same cord. if i had the proper tool now i could just switch it out but i gotta wait till tomorrow and buy the screwdriver.

Last edited:
G

Guest 315072

if anything dude.. replace the cord on the ac.. and just making it longer.. go buy a long ass thick extension cord.. cut the end off ur plugging shit into .. and wire it up .. electrical tape.. and bam.. u got a extension cord.. and power cord.. instead of both!... i did this cause my dog chewed threw the wires to the AC.. and i was forced to do this and no problems at all... works like a carm .

I

Iron_Lion

if anything dude.. replace the cord on the ac.. and just making it longer.. go buy a long ass thick extension cord.. cut the end off ur plugging shit into .. and wire it up .. electrical tape.. and bam.. u got a extension cord.. and power cord.. instead of both!... i did this cause my dog chewed threw the wires to the AC.. and i was forced to do this and no problems at all... works like a carm .

This is awful advice.

A/C's should NEVER be run off of extension cords. And if you have a big one they should be be plugged into a receptacle hard wired with a DEDICATED circuit.

T

TREE KING

you're lucky you didn't burn the house down.

i knew that was comin lol. i wouldnt know how to do what Live2Gro said anyway. im about to go to the store to pick up the robertson screwdriver il let you all know how it works out

Norkali

Goddamn.....scary is all I have to say. :biglaugh:

Everybody: Can you imagine how pissed off you'd be if this guy was living in your neighborhood and started a fucking fire....burn his and possibly your house down with it...?

they do sale appliance extension cords, that are made for higher watts and amps if an extension cord is a must. Next time feel the cord every now and then and feel how hot it gets.

G

greenmatter

get a new plug that is rated for the application. get a legth of wire that is rated for the amps that you need to move over the distance you need to move it

then open the back of the AC unit and wire the new supply cord in

how far away is the plug from the unit? how much power does it draw?

T

TREE KING

get a new plug that is rated for the application. get a legth of wire that is rated for the amps that you need to move over the distance you need to move it

then open the back of the AC unit and wire the new supply cord in

how far away is the plug from the unit? how much power does it draw?

thanks but im all set now i just bought a 25 ft 10 gage extension cord which is plenty thick for what im doing. im about to switch out the cord piece in a minute hopefully it works

good advice FreedomFightr if the cord doesnt feel hot you know your good i was already thinking that

Last edited:

iampolluted

you coulda made your own cord for 1/2 the price of a 10ga extension cord, or cut the end off and wired up a new plug for $2.50.

T

TribalSeeds

i knew that was comin lol. i wouldnt know how to do what Live2Gro said anyway. im about to go to the store to pick up the robertson screwdriver il let you all know how it works out

So did we...
Hey man, how many(& what size) circuits do you have dedicated to this room? Running 2K right?

G

greenmatter

one of the guys i work with carries a pocket version of the ugly manual with him everywhere he goes. he's been doing the job for 30+ years and every time he pulls the damn thing out we all grin because we believe that he has the damn thing memorized.

he shakes his head and says " the reason you guys trust me is you know i'm gonna check anyway" ......... never guess with wire sizes

T

TREE KING

So did we...
Hey man, how many(& what size) circuits do you have dedicated to this room? Running 2K right?

i only have 1 15 amp circuit in the room and i need to power 4 1000 watt lights, a 12,000 watt ac which is already too small, and a dehumidifier. and since the ac is too small i gotta add a second portable ac now. to do all this i need to run 5 maybe 6 extension cords down stairs from the attic cause the biggest circuit i got downstairs is 20 amps

iampolluted

take a pic of your breaker box and post it. if you have 2 empty slots, you can cover you're whole room with just 1 40a breaker, and sub panel.

Latest posts

Latest posts