What's new

Help! Can't seem to get rid of these gnats

HoneyChild

I'm using a mixture of organic soil-less mix with Perlite and I've continually had a problem with tiny flying bugs, which I assume are gnats. I've tried diatomaceous earth, smashed mosquito dunks, ground clove and cinnamon, bowls of cider vinegar, and now play sand. Does anyone have any tips for me for me to find a solution to this problem? I'm about 4 weeks into flowering and would prefer to stay away from chemicals or bombing the room. Thanks!

gnatrol or bomb the room

those are solutions, anything else you do is hurting you

but if youre in flower, then that which you've already tried was it

yerboyblue

Don't bomb the room in flower. Use gnatrol, like 3 or 4 apps. It's not a chemical, it's a biological pesticide. Actually a fungus that specifically attacks fungus gnat larvae. And hang some fly traps to catch the flyers. You will have to do this with future crops as the gnats usually come with the grow medium.

Granger2

Veteran
Honey Child,
The problem with Gnatrol and dunks is shelf life/viability since they are bti [Bacilus thurengensis israeliensis]. Gnatrol is available now in a powder which has a much longer shelf life. I would order it from a place that does lots of volume. Good luck. -granger

M

MacGyver420

gnatrol. follow the directions exactly. the shit works.

you can use nematodes and gnatrol at the same time and its omri listed by the way.

Quit over-watering for one thing as I imagine this is why they are there. Dry those girls out good.

Diatomaceous earth laid as a thin top soil a day after a good watering or fed works best. Use the yellow strips or a gnat attractor like red wine to trap and kill the adults flying around.

In flower gnats are more a nuisance than a threat.

Neo 420

Veteran
Quit over-watering for one thing as I imagine this is why they are there. Dry those girls out good.

My thought in organics is to always have a moist medium or your bennies will croak. Nematodes are your friends and can control aphids and gnats.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
0000 Steel Wool. Pick em up at walmart, home depot, lowe's, etc. Unroll them, then gently pull them apart and lay them over the top of your pot right on the medium covering the entire surface. Remove when you water. It shreds the hell out of these flying satan's as they enter and exit the pots. I tried everything a while back to get rid of them and figured if DE(which clumps when wet) shredded them the steel wool would do it too. This is what worked for me. Got every last one of them.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
0000 Steel Wool. Pick em up at walmart, home depot, lowe's, etc. Unroll them, then gently pull them apart and lay them over the top of your pot right on the medium covering the entire surface. Remove when you water. It shreds the hell out of these flying satan's as they enter and exit the pots. I tried everything a while back to get rid of them and figured if DE(which clumps when wet) shredded them the steel wool would do it too. This is what worked for me. Got every last one of them.

Outside the box stuff right there

I like it! You serious right? lol Wouldn't loose steel wool hurt roots? Or is that just not happening.
And how many plants do you have when you do this, and do you put the steel wool on, say..every 3 or 4 plants or all? Id like to get more sadistic if possible. Ill even where a ball gagger and a gimp mask while I do this if I have to.

astartes

Judging from you post, you're not too sure of the bug's ID. There's a chance it may not be gnats, although gnats are most common. What's the flight pattern of the bug and what does the bug itself look like?

a.

HoneyChild

Judging from you post, you're not too sure of the bug's ID. There's a chance it may not be gnats, although gnats are most common. What's the flight pattern of the bug and what does the bug itself look like?

a.

I've dealt with White Flies in the past so i know it's not them, aphids seem to be bigger in size; these bugs look like tiny flys with black bodies and little wings. the flight pattern is circular and up towards the light and above it........

HoneyChild

Sounds like a good idea, ive put a layer of Play Sand at the tops of the pot, do you think i could put the Steel Wool on top of the sand?

My fungus gnats were immune to mosquito dunks

yellow sticky traps (there's a guy on amazon that sells them by the ROLL) and nematodes worked for me.

Tyga

Veteran
Local hydro shop didn't have gnatrol so I picked up some azamax... That's supposed to whipe out any root aphid's. Also heard a good EWC tea will do the trick.... Along with plenty of those sticky traps.

A

Alone

Yellow sticky traps. They wipe out the adults so over time theres no more population.

Latest posts

Latest posts