What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage News Articles & Finds

billycw

Veteran
I'm guessing sitting at the “Cabaret des Assassins” years later, smoking with the hip outcasts of the time, Picasso found some inspiration in the "Club des Hashischins" that came before him:biggrin:

picasso-femmes-d-alger.jpg

Picasso's take on "The Women of Algiers, Eugène Delacroix" (original painting above) he titled "les femmes d'alger" 1955

billycw

Veteran
"Popular Science" magazine
October 1938, page 147
Titled: Cops grow marijuana for Rogues' Gallery

Miss Fiske and Sergt. C. J. Campbell
8680b3dc3737cc5b0b968c7fa9bdd652.jpg

billycw

Veteran
San Francisco Call, newspaper
Volume 73, Number 53
January 22, 1893

Early reference to I think Ganja spelling it "Gunjah" in 1893. Really interesting use for cannabis as well.

bd7447c02883abeb454311865accae87.jpg

74b897b474af075d8ab17731fdc98f7c.jpg

a43e0238bcece5f41bd548a755cd829a.jpg

Very cool. I stopped 1 month of oral ingestion a few days ago and feel just like those oxen right now. Body just works way better with it.

billycw

Veteran
_tessarecting- love my edible's with coconut oil. Noticed if I just take a tiny bit it does give me some mojo for the day. Have never really come across a similar study, I dug it up from 1893 no less.

Last edited by a moderator:

billycw

Veteran
the Boston Sunday Globe
January 10, 1904
titled: Uncle Sam's Poison Farm

Full article!

the_Boston_Sunday_Globe_January_10_1904_1.jpg

Last edited:

billycw

Veteran
Colorado Transcript, newspaper
May 27, 1915
titled: First Medical Drug Plant Farm in the World

11 years later... still talking about the farm started in 1904:biggrin:

f55574d8f632c203d85682c21a245764.jpg

billycw

Veteran
I originally wrote this up after reading Jerry Beisler's book "the Bandit of Kabul" and doing a grow journal with a couple of bodhi's Cali O crosses. Original thread here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=304028

His story really stuck with me, so I wrote this up. Deserves a repost on this thread...

A Ode to Batman

Many people walk past history everyday not skipping a step at once was. Walking down a historic street like Fillmore in San Francisco I'm guessing the Starbucks at 2222 Fillmore seldom gets a second glance.
picture.php

Once home to Batman Gallery circa 1960, this was Billy Batman's gallery and hangout with the beatnik's, poet's, artist's and outcasts of the time.

Nicknamed Billy Batman for his early love of the batman comics, Batman grew up without need of money coming from a wealthy "to do" family. Given Batman gallery by his family to "stay out of trouble". Batman was a significant artist himself playing with early xerox, copy art or known as xerography.

Piece by Billy Batman from "Rose Birth"
picture.php

Later Batman found himself with the Diggers in San Fran. He even had the birth of his child documented in classic form in the Realist Issue No. 81 - August 1968 { Page 10 } link if you would like to read here http://www.diggers.org/digpaps68/birthdig.html

But what brings him to our attention was his love of hash. I will let Jerry Beisler tell of his meeting.
picture.php

With so many stories about smugglers that needed money here you have someone that loved hash. Well enough to risk his privileged life, travel to the ends of the earth to live a rustic dangerous life to not only participate but to improve something that was obviously dear to him.

Billy Batman never made it home from the adventure of the hippy trail. His undoing captured in Ira Cohen's poem from "The Moroccan Journal - 1987"

"And Billy Batman, who made the best hash in the world,
he dropped a loaded pistol in Kabul, shot himself in the balls,
took some heroin and lay down to die."

Billy Batman's Gravestone in Kabul, Afghanistan
picture.php

When your walking past the overlooked Starbucks down that historic street, stop for a moment and pay tribute to a hash pioneer.

I'd like to think passion over greed is what pushes our dedication to this plant, Billy Batman's story reminds me of this belief.

billycw

Veteran
181ruedessaules07.jpg

“Cabaret des Assassins” late 18th century

“Cabaret des Assassins” / House of the hashish smoker's opened its doors in 1860 in Paris catering to the Hashish smokers of the time writers, poets, painter's, musicians and soul travelers alike.

181ruedessaules10.jpg

Au Lapin Agile ou le Cabaret des assassins 1905

Give me a time machine put me back in time, Paris late 1800's and pre ww1, good time.

tumblr_m87j8703s51qfbon7o1_500.jpg

The "Eden Hashish Centre" in Napal gets all the attention as being a famous hash house but there seems to be so many Hash destinations around the world throughout history.
If your going to visit Paris, maybe a little Hash history stop is in order

22 rue des Saules, Paris, France
fr_432_hd.jpg

The Lapin Agile of today

billycw

Veteran
One of the many that frequented the “Cabaret des Assassins” besides names like Picasso, was poet/artist Charles Baudelaire. He was also one of the original members of Club des Hashischins.

c98086cdbcfeff991d53ac14d448535d.jpg

Charles Baudelaire. Daguerréotype de 1850

Drawing self portrait's in the corner like this one that is toted as being drawn "while under the influence of hashish"

615px-Portrait_de_Charles_Baudelaire_sous_l%27influence_du_hachich.jpg

Charles Baudelaire - self drawn "while under the influence of hashish"

billycw

Veteran
One more from inside the Cabaret des Assassins, looks like it was a good time...

Au Lapin Agile ou le Cabaret des assassins, à côté de Modigliani, Francis Carco, Gaston Couté, Paul Fort écoutent le père Frédé 1905
f3767247a975c4fe8e9986181217139c.jpg

billycw

Veteran
Popular Science, magazine
September 1875
article titled: The Use of Narcotics

Only one paragraph about cannabis, and I'm not a big fan of the point of the article, but poetic none the less. Talks about opium, cocoa, hasheesh and amanita muscaria(which is described in the last sentences of the paragraph before I left on for comedic value). Love the way everything was described so vividly and with new eyes.

"An intense feeling of happiness, which attends all the operations of the mind. The sun shines on every thought that passes through the brain, and every movement of the body is the source of enjoyment."

34a1b57a03100cef1886a75e5da7161a.jpg

0b30f92757b423737b48830d475baf33.jpg

billycw

Veteran
A woman smoking hookah in Cairo, daguerreotype, c. 1843.
By Joseph Philibert Girault de Prangey

:biggrin:

ZiE8rK4.jpg

billycw

Veteran
Popular Science, Magazine
February 1884
Titled: An Overdose of Hasheesh
Written by Mary C Hungerford

Quite the poetic article... Its kind of long to post so I will just post the ending. Some O Captian, My Captian type writing back then...

fda2e0de933371e90d0bc81f91c08905.jpg

71e7b34a7829bc652f42f83c64571767.jpg

giphy.gif

Latest posts

Latest posts