What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How the Big Boys Roll

Ickis

Veteran
I should add I would out yield them in the spring, fall and winter. They would win in the summer and I would win for the year.

Mia

I totally believe this 'Mia' account could be a woman. A 'lie,' really? lol. As if gw pharma was an ex-boyfriend.

What a strange statement.
If you notice, the second post in this thread I stated what you just repeated-that is, that Gw says in their manual that they handwater.
Mrwags strongly felt that they were ebb nflowin.
Hence my response.
Apparently normal discourse is alien to your underhanded method of conversation.

Mia

I do agree and I hope you don't think that is what I'm implying. All I'm saying is those table's don't move and on the lower left of the first picture you will see water fitting so that the tables can be flooded.

Hell man it does not matter it is what many will never achieve and for that I commend them no matter how the girls get fed.

Have A Great Day
Mr.Wags

I don't think you were implying that at all.
I appreciate the honesty.
I was just trying to reconcile the discrepancy.
Good day to you as well :tiphat:

KiefSweat

Veteran
As nice as the operation looks the light height is not dialed in and they could have a better set-up. The lights are wasted where they are at.

IMHO if I had an indoor room the same size as their greenhouse with their same lights mounted at the proper height I would out yield their greenhouse.

Just sayin'!

Jusy sayin ;)

5.4.2.9 Effect of Irradiance Level on Plant and Cannabinoid Yield
The mercury vapour (MBFU) lamps originally fitted in the glasshouse were only able to convert approximately 10% of the consumed electrical energy into photosynthetically active radiation. This compared to 30% with more modern High Pressure Sodium (HPS) and metal halide (MH) lamps. By replacing each 1000 watt MBF fitting with two 600 watt high pressure sodium (HPS) or metal halide (MH) units the electricity consumption within the glasshouse would have been raised by 20% to the maximum capacity of the existing power supply. However, the increase in irradiance achieved by new fittings would have theoretically been three-fold, taking levels from 16 to 53 W m-2.
To measure the effect of introducing such improvements to irradiance levels, identical batches of plants were grown in the glasshouse and in a walk-in growth chamber. The latter was equipped with a combination of HPS and MH lamps to deliver an irradiance level of 70 W m-2 at the plant canopy. This equates to the light level typically existing in the glasshouse, as equipped at the time, during mid-afternoon on a bright summer day.
The experiment commenced in September and finished in December so as to recreate a harvest date when the previous year’s findings suggested that glasshouse yields would be at or near their minimum. Records from the Priva Glasshouse Control computer system showed that on rare very clear days, noon irradiance levels inside the glasshouse peaked at approximately 50 W m-2. However a maximum of approximately 25 W m-2 was more common, with morning and evening levels falling to a minimum of 17 W m-2. Irradiance levels were measured using a hand-help Skye SKE 500 light metre at ten locations on the surface of the crop canopy.

KiefSweat

Veteran
something else to look into if you got an acct
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22211717
The Effect of Electrical Lighting Power and Irradiance on Indoor-Grown Cannabis Potency and Yield.
Potter DJ, Duncombe P.
Source

GW Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Porton Down Science Park, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP4 0JQ, U.K.
Abstract

  The floral development and potencies [Δ(9) -tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) contents] of cannabis plants were compared when grown indoors under high-pressure sodium lamps consuming electrical power at three densities (270, 400, and 600 W/m(2) ). After a 3-week vegetative phase, plants were grown for 8 weeks, with lamps maintaining an artificial day length of 12 h. Foliar and floral yields were measured. Gas chromatography was used to measure the content of the psychoactive cannabinoid THC. Mean yields per unit of electrical power in each lighting regime ranged from 0.9 to 1.6 g/W, the highest being achieved in the lowest irradiance regime. The individual potencies of the separated leaf and flower materials were not affected by increasing irradiance. However, there was a corresponding increase in the overall potency of the aerial plant tissue. This was because of the plants in brighter conditions producing a higher proportion of floral material.

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think you were implying that at all.
I appreciate the honesty.
I was just trying to reconcile the discrepancy.
Good day to you as well :tiphat:

MIA you and I got it and had a nice friendly response to each others question. May it serve as a way to get answers without the needed banter.

Also if needed I furthered my point by saying it does not matter how they are watered since most will never have anything close and that was one hell of an operation plain and simple.

Good Point
Mr.Wags

sprinkl

Veteran
That is what I have observed myself, too. Decreasing W/M² increases yield/Wattage but yields lower potency flowers AND more airy/leafy/stemmy flowers. I think that's a 2-fold decrease in potency - there's less crystal density on the calyxes and the smaller ratio of calyx to leaves/stems further decreases the total THC content of a bud.

I started adding 1 to 1 when I saw a friend growing stretchy big-ass plants and getting near the same yields with his 250W HPS. I have a 400W HPS. On paper, he was the better grower. When we compared bud density and potency/taste, the results were different.
It soon becomes apparent that G/W figures are worthless to compare if you can't compare the bud quality.

KiefSweat

Veteran
there making an extract, with specificity bred plants for that purpose.

I think they use some sort of measurement of total cannabinoid by sq meter; i'm sure there is something to light intensity with that, but not to many growers are striving to do something similar as such.

Macola

KiefSweat no problems, if you need anything let me know and I'll look. doi format prefered.

As for the study, what's everybody's take on it ? Extra light isn't worth it ?

KiefSweat

Veteran
i wonder how the terpene contents differ with the different light intensities.

I agree with some of it, that sometimes you do get better yields with smaller lights, but its only comparing light from one reflection point. How optimized are the hoods for the lights etc?

Guess I should say that smaller lights are more efficient. So 4 250's would generally outperform 1 1k in a similar setup/comparison i would gather. Larger lights, mean more intensity but also cover more space.

knna

As for the study, what's everybody's take on it ? Extra light isn't worth it ?

All depends of your priorities and situation. If your priority is keeping costs as low as possible, and there is no space restrictions, using the lowest light intensity worth. Provided you are going to use a given wattage, if you spread it along a larger space you get higher total yield than using same wattage on a smaller space (given you manage to distribute it well). That is the concept which uses hoods as the adjust a wings.

On the other hand, if you are restricted on the grow area, using higher light density worths, as it increases yield for a given space.

If you consider all the costs of growing, using higher light density wont raise total cost significantly, but increases your yield.

Say you have a given setup using 270W/m2. Raising it to a light density of 400W/m2 means an increase of 130W/m2, that in 8 weeks of blooming at 12/12 (672h) are 87.36 KWh of increased electrical bill. Expected yield increase following study results is 75g of dry bud more, about 2 1/2 oz. The electrical cost would be, at for example 15 cent/KWh, 13.1$, about 5.25$/oz. Difficult to say using that increased light density dont worth.

Same happen for going from 400 to 600W/m2, but profit is lower, as the increase in yield in this scenario is smaller, 47g (>1 1/2 oz) for a larger increase in comsuption (200W/m2). But analyzing by cost, its 134.4 KWh, 20.16$ at 0.15$/KWh, or 12.8$ each aditional oz. Not a bad deal either.

The study found percentage of THC of either buds or leaves was constant, independent of light density used. What changed was the ratio of bud to leaves. While leaves mass was almost the same on the 3 treatments, bud weight increases as light increases. The jump from 270W/m2 to 400W/m2, the most significant, was from 1.93 to 2,28 (2.36 for 600W/m2).

Nothing we didnt know previously, but it is nice to see it confirmed on a controlled study. Rarely worths using irradiances below 500 micromols of photons per second in flowering per square meter. And using 800, up to 1000, serves to get the max of a given grow space, without raising electrical cost excessively, at least of the lighting itself.

E

elmanito

In Holland there was another company which had a license to grow legal for the pharmacies, but after they become critical against the medical marijuana office on the TV their license was not renewed.

a_press_photo.jpg

Their critics was that only varieties was grown with THC without CBD.

Namaste :plant grow::canabis:

Pangea

Veteran
Curious as to the yield of cannabinoid and terpene levels inside these greenhouses compared to outside, as most all glass used in horticulture block a a majority if not all UV's.

Has GW done any experiments with supplemental UV/b in a glasshouse?

GreenintheThumb

fuck the ticket, bought the ride
Veteran
In Holland there was another company which had a license to grow legal for the pharmacies, but after they become critical against the medical marijuana office on the TV their license was not renewed.

a_press_photo.jpg

Their critics was that only varieties was grown with THC without CBD.

Namaste :plant grow::canabis:

Are you talking about Bedrocan BV? I thought all their stuff was indoor growrooms.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i recently watched a documetary with a part about these guys and the tables can be rolled apart to create a walk way. the guy turns some wheel and the table opens up one walk way and closes up the one that was just open. cool system!

the thing about light intensity etc is interesting, as i have found this is also strain dependent. i have had strains that did better not too close to the lamps, while others, indeed most seem to like being closer. but you do get exceptions.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i recently watched a documetary with a part about these guys and the tables can be rolled apart to create a walk way. the guy turns some wheel and the table opens up one walk way and closes up the one that was just open. cool system!

the thing about light intensity etc is interesting, as i have found this is also strain dependent. i have had strains that did better not too close to the lamps, while others, indeed most seem to like being closer. but you do get exceptions.