What's new

<$150 led or 250w MH

Dion

hey dopest just wanna let u know the drivers never arrived so im in the process of negotiating a refund and i wanna get 1500 mA so ill buy from the shop i got last time and the dude can customise current i can link if u like

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
Yes please, I'd like to go through my options today and probably be ordering tomorrow. I'm thinking 1400-1800ma and 50-70w. I'll deal with heat if it comes down to it, I just want this to rock!!

Dion

yup looking aroun the web for cheap options i found 1200/1300 1500 and 1800 within our voltage range or 2000/2100/2200 which i think is too high especially considering efficiency

did u check the links i put in before for the 1500 drivers?

in anycase the driver which didnt arrive was fro that store (love of life or love of light or sth)

this is the store id recomend as ive bought from them before and they customise the current if u need/ can add a plug to the ac side directly

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wate...-supply-lighting-transformer/32265565611.html

Last edited:

The Dopest

Veteran
I got (5) of the ones in your last link above. Hope they get here soon!! I did not opt for the plug, I have about 50 computer cords here so I can wire them up easily once I get them. I'll probably make a panel to mount them to, then put a fan across them for good measure.

I'm also thinking heavily on these heatsink/fan combos that were recommended by several growers over at RIU using the 3070s. They are rated at 100w cooling capacity so the 50-60w should be no sweat, plus I saved so much on those drivers you linked to that I have a little budget left over. I'm giving my guy another week on the freebies, then I need to make a move. Tell me what you think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186070

Dion

yeah they look good but i cant see the specs of the sink( size etc) i might cosider one with a better fan? i dunno it doesnt have the sink size or the fan cfm or sound level in the specs

id say go for it if its what peeps use but personally id buy it from china and replace the fan with a nice 1

reviews:
Cons: Didn't spin up until I flick the fan blades, can't depend on that.

how about

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Reta...1155-1156-for-AMD754-939-AM2/32250951680.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CPU-...n-Intel-LGA-775-1155-1156-AMD/1953485084.html

just kidding thats total overkill

The Dopest

Veteran
The fan size is listed for the one I linked, it says 92mm, or 3.6" so I would assume the heatsink is roughly 4"x4" and the sound levels are listed at 23dba or 0.4 sone whatever that is? Noise is not a problem, I have lots of ambient noise to cover the fans. There are several growers with this exact hs/fan combo and 3070 cobs over there, I think we are preaching to the wrong choir here about LEDs. It seems almost everyone here is stuck on HIDs. The thread I saw those in over there is 175 pages long, I'm still in the middle of reading it... :biglaugh:

My guy has lots of active and passive heatsinks but idk if he has 4-5 matching ones yet. I wish he would get home so I can see wtf he has over there, I'd rather spend the money on nutes or even seeds than something I can get for free...He has the style you linked to as well, heat pipe style, even has a couple water cooled. :)

I do know it will be hot as a mofo here in a couple months so I'm pretty positive I will need active, especially after reading the posts at the other site. One guy is running 1750ma, one guy 1600 active cooling and a major poster was running his 650-750ma passive but soon realized he could run them like 20c cooler with a fan on them. Still a lot to read as lots of other people were just starting to buy these cobs where I left off.

The Dopest

Veteran
He can be annoying at times but patience paid off!! I got most of these in sets of (5) but there are some singles and multiples of others. Fans in 120v and 12v, Triplite power supply, computer power supply, 1650ma 32v printer? power supply(I can test with it until my drivers come?), shit load of heat sinks, some extruded aluminum, some copper with cooling pipes, etc. I will test them to find out which have the best cooling capability and go from there. Totally excited again, check it, all for free!!

Attachments

• HPIM0214.jpg
    HPIM0214.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 22
  • HPIM0215.jpg
    HPIM0215.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 21
  • HPIM0216.jpg
    HPIM0216.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 17
  • HPIM0217.jpg
    HPIM0217.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 21

Dion

omg you hit the motherload!!!

i wouldnt test with that printer powersupply(a-probs wont work as volts are too low b-if it does work and u dont have heat sink it will cook ur chips in 2 sec)

its hard to say without sizes but i like the look of the heatpipe ones with fan on the rightest side of the 1st pic sees like he has 5 of them so perfect

the squirrel fan ones look dope too as do the black ones on the left- probs dont need a fan for that or could add one if needed
a s do the led ones (with the chip holder n lens) but he has only 4
hell they all look good im jealous

here is some more homework for ya

http://www.led-heatsink.com/LED_heat_sink_calculation_simulation_thermal_design.html

btw i think u will be happy with the drivers t that store the quality was tops on mine-been running over a year no issues

The Dopest

Veteran
"No, I just hit the motherfuckin motherload". Quote from Dexter shotime series. :biglaugh:

I like the squirrel cage sinks too but until I get to test them, I think the dual heat pipe ones next to them will be the better choice(ones on the right of first pic). I checked the specs on the largest ones(right side of pic two) and they had great cooling with a large/loud fan but one of the worst specs when used with low powered/quieter fans so I don't think I will be using them now. Either way, I will test most/all of them once I get the correct drivers(not going to test with wall wart after your recommendation) and holders in. BTW, just ordered the holders and got an email saying the drivers had shipped today so it should not be long now!

Dion

looks like ill be ordering those sae drivers only adjusted to 1.3A (cxa 2540) u will probs beat me to build this

The Dopest

Veteran
Hey Cyklo, thanks for posting. I have changed a lot of variables since the start of the thread. It has now evolved into a larger flower area and a small mom/veg area. I blew the budget on CXA3070s and now I'm waiting on drivers to arrive. Still having problems with germination. My old seeds will not cooperate.

Dion

have you decided on your physical design yet?

4 sperate units? 1 beast? how u gonna hang it? where r the drivers going?

The Dopest

Veteran
In my mind, I'm building a BattleStar Ganjatica like the guys over at the other site but it will probably be more like a couple computer coolers tied together with duct tape and coat hangers. :biglaugh:

I'm thinking about incorporating a large 6-8" fan in the center of my mothership with 4 individually xyz adjustable light pods. I put a "+" made of 2x'4s and screwed a piece of 7/16" osb top plate in the closet to hang chain hooks anywhere I need them. I want to adjust the height of the mothership with chain links and maybe thumbscrews on the pods for easy adjustment. Drivers outside on back of cabinet with a small fan across them. I just ordered my hydroton and coco, still need nutes, meters, pots and to build a tray.

Dion

hey sorry if i led you astray on the drivers i thought u wanted 4 independent lights rather than a panel but i see on the other threads you would have rather had 1 driver for all 4 lights

dimming is cool but prob not needed at all and only useful in veg i think

anyways just wanted to let you know i was only trying to help

The Dopest

Veteran
You didn't mislead me homie! You just gave me your opinion for which I am thankful for. I would still be trying to figure this crap out if you had not come along to help. The main reason I mentioned dimmer is for late summer, cut down on heat. Maybe it won't be too much of an issue.

I got the holders in, they have a small "locating" pin on bottom opposite the screw hole. Should I drill the heatsink for those too?

Attachments

• HPIM0219.jpg
    HPIM0219.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 18

Dion

You didn't mislead me homie! You just gave me your opinion for which I am thankful for. I would still be trying to figure this crap out if you had not come along to help. The main reason I mentioned dimmer is for late summer, cut down on heat. Maybe it won't be too much of an issue.

I got the holders in, they have a small "locating" pin on bottom opposite the screw hole. Should I drill the heatsink for those too?

the fuck is that? lol

oh its 2 pieces i see

not sure about this locating pin u speak of cant find it in the pic but you need 2 holes for those bad boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZvU9amQ-H8

so yeah decide where you wanna mount em make holes and then ur good to go

watch these

cree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2jtqJHLhN8

1:44-1:57 is your bag

propaganda( love this old dick) hahaha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfdNYvYwjfE

diy dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb3vijOcmJ4

dont do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHZWIksImlc

mark it 1st then take the led out of there and drill lol if u dont have a tapping peice fret not just drill and screw directly wont be as smooth but will work

looks llike urs have an electrical connection right? if not id advise to solder 1st then attach chips and dont forget your TIm( use grease with the connectors is best)

one advantage of independant lights is you can move them around so if heat becomes an issue you could just turn 1 off and reposition the others

i move my lights around as often as plants, i like using multiple drivers for that reason and just plug a power board into the timer for all the plugs

can i please join ur 3070 club? or at least be a groupie?