What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ideal setup for a 4x4 or 4x8 tent?

phattybudz

In the past I've run a 4x4 tent with a 1k, and have been thinking about running 2k in a 4x8 tent (hps.) Right now I'm running 6k hps but I'm going to be moving in a few harvests and have to downscale considerably, and I'm doing some research... so assuming I wanted to get 126w panels, how many would be best for a 4x4 or 4x8? I'm thinking 3 over each 4x4? I can't picture how wide they are, if I could cram 4 in there I probably would though...

Assuming the test runs people are doing now turn out well I will definitely be a customer in the future though. Happy new year! :D

LEDGirl

Veteran
4 x 126W units is recommended for a 4' x 4' area. You could fit more of them in there if you wanted to, but it would start getting a bit crowded. We will also be offering a new 205W panel in about a week, that will measure 19" x 19". You could put 4 of them in as well, if you wanted some serious wattage in that area (50W/sq ft +). Seems like you already understand watt per square foot though, and how that can effect your yield, so really it depends on what you're after ;)

phattybudz

Nice, I will definitely take a look at the 205 watters... no reason NOT to go bigger when you don't need to upgrade your power to accommodate more lights.

stoney419

Ya this was the thread I've been thinking of starting phattybudz is already on it check out the thread in my sig my goal is to have 4x8 ebb/flow tables lit by LEDs a friend of mine just bought some 300 wtt led lights from a company he seen in maxim yeld magazine I think he's going to put 12 300 watters over 4 4x8 tables pushed together for a 16x8 foot print I think the idea of 16 205 watters may be the way to go so if you want to work me up a price on 8 or 16 of the 205s and pm me with it led girl I'll do a grow here at ICmag in the indoor hydro section thanks for all your doing led girl

stoney419

Any where between 2-3 pounds depending on the strain i figured it up it would actully be 420 watts more then my 2 600s on a mover
but with no venting and lower cooling bills is worth the trade off IMHO if the yeld don't drop not pushing out hot air could mean the diferance in geting busted or not

icdog

LEDGirl I am considering your products for a 4x4 setup.
The recommended 4 x 126 w is about 1800 dollars just for one 4x4. I understand the savings in cooling etc. but this seems like an extreme amount. Is it certain that the 4x126w will produce equivalent to a 1000w in a 4x4 setup or would it compare to a 600w?
The comparison should be equivalent to the standard g/w that a 1000w will achieve over a 4x4.

phattybudz

Damn Stoney that sounds sick, I will look forward to seeing that if you do decide to purchase them... I am still a little unsure myself and have been waiting to see a pro such as yourself do a big grow!

I am actually going to be moving in a couple months and redesigning my grow, I think I may do one tent LED and one HPS to compare the 2...

LEDGirl

Veteran
LEDGirl I am considering your products for a 4x4 setup.
The recommended 4 x 126 w is about 1800 dollars just for one 4x4. I understand the savings in cooling etc. but this seems like an extreme amount. Is it certain that the 4x126w will produce equivalent to a 1000w in a 4x4 setup or would it compare to a 600w?
The comparison should be equivalent to the standard g/w that a 1000w will achieve over a 4x4.

There is no standard gram per watt rating for HID growers. I think this is one of the biggest myths amongst HID gardeners, as so many of them seem to think 1 gram per watt is easily achievable. If you want to see what each set of lights would do, you have to compare them side by side with the same conditions, performed by the same gardener. If you have not seen it yet, check out the 2x126W vs 600W HPS grow by Genetics on this forum. His yield was 10% higher using 252W of LED, vs what he achieved under his 600W HPS. This is a real world side by side test, and we have many more scheduled to begin soon.

So, can you achieve similar or better yields using 4 of our 126W units in a 4x4 area vs a 1000W HID? If the results from Genetics are any indication, the answer should be yes. I don't make promises though as every gardener is different, and LED growing takes at least 1-2 cycles to get used to. If you're still undecided, stick around for the upcoming 205W vs 400W HPS grows, and the 126W vs 250W HPS grow. They should be starting within the next month or so. ;)

phattybudz

So, I am worried about the weight of 4 205w units, I think 100lbs is too much for a sunhut xl 4x4 tent...

I'm considering two 345W units, which would be 50lbs, still seems too heavy with a carbon filter hung up too....I want to run 2 tents side by side and compare the 2 with an aircooled 1k hps (what I usually use in a 4x4 tent,) and as much LED as I can fit in the other.... I have been trying to find the max weight for sunhuts but I can't find it, maybe another tent supports more weight... off to google!

*EDIT* HMM... nevermind, hydrohut silver 4x4 supports 125 lbs, I COULD run 4 205 watters...

The whole reason I wanted to do 2 tents was that I wouldn't have to modify my electric system, but a 4x8 would be better than 2 4x4s and 1380watts is fine on a single breaker...so now I'm thinking maybe 4X345 watts over a 4x8 table...43w/sf, 100 lbs... $4,600 though, I'm not sure I will have that kind of cash for a little while yet.

LEDGirl

Veteran
Phatty: We have (2) 4x4 tents from eBay, and I currently have 2 of the 345W's hung up in one of them. I'm certain the tent could support another two lights, as long as you use your own suspension system (not the one that comes with the tent). I purchased some insulated cable from Home Depot with cable locks (about $20 total) to create a light hanging system in my tent that maxes out at 200lbs. I don't know how sturdy the metal poles are that were used in your tent, but ours are pretty solid.

If you want the best results in your tent, 4 of the 205W's would do extremely well. 2x345W lights would not fill the area, but they would cover 4'x3'. You could also get by with using 4 of the 126W lights in the tent, but ultimately the configuration is up to you. For me it's all about watts per square foot, and if it were me using 16 square feet, I'd fill it with 800W of light as I like 50W per square foot.

phattybudz

"We have (2) 4x4 tents from eBay, and I currently have 2 of the 345W's hung up in one of them."

Well, the hydrohut 4x8 supports 125 lbs, so I could probably do 4 345watters but I'm doubtful about 8 205watters, so I'm leaning towards doing that, even though I might not get the entire space covered, I would stay at a low enough weight and wattage for what I want to do. Maybe I won't fill the entire thing with plants, would give me space for fans etc. anyways.

Thanks for all the input/help, I'm curious if you're doing a grow journal of that tent? Just curious about the yield of course :) !

LEDGirl

Veteran
We have two grow tents currently vegging, that are being used for journals here on the site. One is a 3x3 grow tent for our 205W ScrOG grow, and the other is our 4x4 tent for our dual 345W autoflower/TAG grow. We're only using half of the 4x4 tent, which is what we originally planned on when ordering it. The last 4x4 tent is used for our fruits/veggies/cactus. We bought all of the tents from GYO supplies on eBay. Not sure of the brand, but they seem to be nice quality. 4 of the 345W units could cover a 4x5 - 4x6 area within a 4x8 tent.

LEDGirl

Veteran
In most situations it's been genetics. My Maui especially was a very leafy strain, as was Grape ape and a few others. Genetics will be carrying out a second grow with less variables, but the results of his first grow still show that you need far less wattage with our LED's, to produce the same results as HID. I encourage you to watch all upcoming HID grow tests, as we arranged to have several of them to run at the same time in order to provide a blanket comparison from respected forum members. This way there will be no questions in anyone's mind as to the efficacy of our products. Time is key in this business, but the wait will definitely be worth it.

icdog

>There is no standard gram per watt rating for HID growers. I think this is one of the biggest myths amongst HID gardeners, as so many of them seem to think 1 gram per watt is easily achievable.

I appreciate the reply. The g/w is a guideline that people are familiar with, whether they get .5g/w or 1.0938g/W people will know what you can generally yield with a 1000W HID., given a certain amount of time and vegging as well.
The question is does the LED justify the huge expense in most situations. It does if it can yield more or the same with far less W.
I'm hoping it does.

I was also considering 3-4 205w in a 4x4 instead of a 1000w. On the website, it says that the 205w led is on par with a 600w hps. So does that mean you're effectively getting 4 600w HPS lights in a 4x4 space using 1/3 the energy?

I'm confused because most of these grow diaries are showing .6-1g/w. if a 205 was as effective as a 600w wouldn't people be getting well over 1g/w? maybe not 3g/w but shouldnt it be significant?

Rob Deck

I'm confused because most of these grow diaries are showing .6-1g/w. if a 205 was as effective as a 600w wouldn't people be getting well over 1g/w? maybe not 3g/w but shouldnt it be significant?
From what I understand LEDGirl achieves 1.5g minimum, and has mentioned 1.7g in the past. I know she'll claim that the LED growers not going above 1.0 need to fine tune their grow space and techniques.

LED lights seem best fit for sea of green and screen of green techniques.

LEDGirl

Veteran

Most average HID growers achieve .5 grams per watt from harvest to harvest. The better growers achieve .6-.8 gpw, and the best do 1gpw with consistency. So for your average gardener a 600W HPS would produce about 300g of dried bud. An average gardener should also be able to hit 1.5 gpw with consistency using our 205W LED, after he or she has a few grows down with LED (just like HID, you don't learn it all overnight or on your first grow). So 205W x 1.5 gpw is about 308g, which would be on par with their yield from the 600W. To date the highest yield reported from any of our customers has been 1.8 grams per watt, so in their hands the 205W would have produced closer to 370g. I have no doubts that within the next year we'll have members on this site who are able to reach 2 grams per watt and maybe higher, I'm just waiting to see who does it first. Considering the fact that the LED grows will hit 1.5 gpw and higher without the need of a/c or loud and bulky ventilation fans, that alone is substantial enough to me when you compare them to HID. Imagine trying to hit 1 gpw in an enclosed area with a 1000W HPS, without the use of A/C or ventilation... good luck lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts