What's new

Need a device of some sort to automatically shake a sample in a small tube?

sadpanda

Need some brainstorming please!! (cos mine fell short, lol)

So I have ~10mgs of bud sample to put in an eppendorf tube (with lid) with some solvent:
eppendorf-with-green-solution-clip-art.png

PROBLEM: But I don't want to be standing around manually shaking it with my hands for half an hour, and I don't just want to leave it sitting still either.

SOLUTION? So it seems I need some sort of vibrator. And no, i'm not sure how to rephrase that.

I was thinking it could be something as simple as a SUBWOOFER, and the cup shape would help keep it in place too (as opposed to vibrating off the source of vibration like a mat, but a box would probably solve that), but im not an audio techy and i dont know how to do that without it being too noisy

Another thought was sitting it in a small tub of water (im assuming the eppendorf lids are waterproof plus they should float with the trapped air) under a tap, and simply having the TAP DRIP a couple times a second to keep it constantly moving a bit in the tub. Not as good vibrating as from a subwoofer but better than nothing and wouldnt cost tooo much water (actually itd be easy to sit everything in a big bowl to capture it all back), and no electricity/other expense.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

sadpanda

paladin420, vibrating palm sander does not look at all practical for this!

weedaholic721, they look great but VERY EXPENSIVE!!! Im looking for a <$50 solution :)

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thirty minute shake with hexane at room temp? I'm thinking you should be able to extract all the cannabinoids you need for your test in just a couple, three minutes. The longer you soak, the more unwanted green tint you're going to pick up... and as I mentioned before, pure pentane will go right at the cannabinoids like hexane, but won't pick up nearly as much chlorophyll, and besides it doesn't have nearly as nasty a hydrocarbon odor if you're sensitive to such things.

Old fashioned back and forth electric toothbrush... :biggrin:

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Vortex mixer ftw like weedaholic said. eBay or labx have used ones often.

For Chromatography sample prep a bead beater will give the tightest RSD's, much better than ultrasonic.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
paladin420, vibrating palm sander does not look at all practical for this!

weedaholic721, they look great but VERY EXPENSIVE!!! Im looking for a <$50 solution :)
well one at a time would not be. I was thinkin 100 or so in a piece of foam board insulation

sadpanda

i need to stay under $50 though, so expensive vortexes and bead beaters and ultrasonics ive seen are a couple thousand dollars out of my price range!