What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tending Your Reservoir for a Full pH Swing and Cleaner Cannabis

V

ValleyHill

From the little acorn grew the oak tree. Just thoughts mate and chances are what works for me might not work for the next man. Have you got any in depth posts explaining the exact way you do things from start to finish because I'm looking for the simplest method with the least work. Don't get me wrong I'll sit with my plants all day long but as I age my ailments prevent me from doing what I can somedays, thats the all reason I started reading your posts in the first place.if I can do less and still get a quality end result then that would help me immensely
Atb vh

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've been posting about this for years, but I believe this is the most in-depth one out there. You may want to do a search on the web for "Ask Lucas" and read the thread which comes up. I've read it a few hundred times and it's the basis of what I do.

Not much simpler than mix, add water till pH hits maximum, add nutes to drop back to starting ppm, lather, rinse, repeat. The only real change is when flower bulking quits, and you have to dilute and quit adding nutes.

My first thought (as is nearly everyone's) is to dump and re-fill with lower strength nutes, in an effort to remove the exudates. If it is exudates, it's definitely from stress and a changeout is not going to stop the excretion. :)

I too have issues which get in the way. I found root oil recently and it's a superior difference for joint and arthritic pain. I suggest taking a look. Completely reversed my thoughts regarding a hip going south. ;)

ButterflyEffect

So, in Hempys the pH does indeed swing up. I tried running the feed at 6.3-6.5 and it made the issue worse, in addition to creating new ones. Had PK defs and possibly Zinc, as well.

Did some more research here and with the testing I did, it shows the upswing. I'm now starting at around 5.3pH and letting it jump from there.

I just wanted to let the hive know for future reference.

Thanks for your guidance sir!

V

ValleyHill

I've been posting about this for years, but I believe this is the most in-depth one out there. You may want to do a search on the web for "Ask Lucas" and read the thread which comes up. I've read it a few hundred times and it's the basis of what I do.

Not much simpler than mix, add water till pH hits maximum, add nutes to drop back to starting ppm, lather, rinse, repeat. The only real change is when flower bulking quits, and you have to dilute and quit adding nutes.

My first thought (as is nearly everyone's) is to dump and re-fill with lower strength nutes, in an effort to remove the exudates. If it is exudates, it's definitely from stress and a changeout is not going to stop the excretion. :)

I too have issues which get in the way. I found root oil recently and it's a superior difference for joint and arthritic pain. I suggest taking a look. Completely reversed my thoughts regarding a hip going south. ;)
I will definitely take a look into the root oil .ate
Thankyou for your time
Atb vh

V

ValleyHill

Mate, when in later flower and plant is telling you that its finished with eating nutrients because. in it's own mind, been pushing out flowers and resin to attract the Male pollen for what's been an age now, its probably given up with its soul purpose in life which is to reproduce, in nature it would most definitely have attracted pollen before this stage
So it might be finished and realised it ain't going to get what it wants.what you describe happens in late flower is exactly right and depending how late on dictates how your going to let them finish. If you dial a certain strain in you get to know exactly when these changes occur. Personally I would just let the plant do what it's got to do.if you run at a low ec level, like I've explained above then its exactly the same principal theres no point adding nutes, let it just spit back into the tank what ever it's got to.i just add water at this stage to keep ph in safe range, once its finished doing what it's doing depending on bud development fill fresh tank up and it's your choice weather to add low strength nutes or just flush till finnish. Ph pen ec truncheon tell you exactly which way to go about things.
Atb vh

Fixer

Interesting! Thank you for all of the knowledge. I am intent on getting my PPM down to a minimum and would love to avoid dumping the res weekly. Douglas.Curtis with this system are you topping off with RO water or water and nutes? :tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Interesting! Thank you for all of the knowledge. I am intent on getting my PPM down to a minimum and would love to avoid dumping the res weekly. Douglas.Curtis with this system are you topping off with RO water or water and nutes? :tiphat:
I top of with straight r/o, or other water which is <14ppm. Remember, the swing happens due to the plants using up nutrients. Wait till it hits the end of the healthy pH range, then use your nutrients to drop the pH back down again. :)

heh my ph swing go other way,up to low.i top reso norm water until its level where is only emergency nutrients water left.then top reso full nutrients and start all over again.
small reso and only a few plants.

Douglas.Curtis

Yes, without using r/o I have zero advice for you. Local well/tap water can change in consistency through the seasons, and can be vastly different even a few miles away.

I use r/o for creating the cleanest cannabis I know how, and to remove any random variables. This allows me to pass reliable information to other growers who are also using r/o. What works for me, will work for them. Switch to tap water and you're now talking something completely different. I have no advice with tap.

cebe11

This is a great thread. First time doing hydro, been using organic soil for past ten years, wanted something new. Grow so far is behaving. will see what happens.
Does anyone have a link or a copy of the "Ask Lucas" thread? All the archive links I find are old and not working.
Thanks!!!

LostTribe

Premium user
PROBLEM PH SHOOTING UP

DC thanks for your thread on ph swing. Had a little root rot at transplant 2 weeks ago.

I am having ph shooting up from ~5.7 back to 6.3-6.5 in about 18 hrs.

Roots In system 5 gallon ebb flow hydroton buckets, ~4gallons media, feeding every 3 hours until ebb =1 minute then 3-4 minutes to drain back to rez (little giant pump).

temp 77F
Humidity 55%
rez temp 75F
feeding RO
5ml calmaG
dropped PBP grow to 550 ppm overall .8ec
that includes
.5tsp/g SM90
.5tsp/g H202
.25tsp/g Liquid Karma
just started some silica blast at .5tsp/g

I got a new ppm pen and didn't realize I was feeding HOT like 1.6ec at 2 weeks veg! I flushed with 2tsp/gal cleareX w ph'd ro yesterday for 2 hours and remade nutes to ~550ppm(700scale) .8ec.

Same problem last year....my temps started out in the 80's but added ac and it's been 10 plus days.

I am showing obviously burnt tips and also magnesium deficiency. I did notice some buildup from new hydrotoN pellets which I removed. I washed it properly but the brand new stuff ya know....

Any ideas appreciated
LT

Douglas.Curtis

I asked you a few questions in response to your pm. I'll be happy to help out when I have that extra bit of info. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts