What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed Casings

I have bred a combo ( Hashberry/Mexican Brick) and acquired about 1000 seeds. Had them in deep freeze for 10 yrs. stored in jelly mason jars.
Anyhoo, I had decided to do an outdoor grow this yr and brought out these seeds from my collection. I gave above info just in case this had something to do with it, but I doubt this is the problem.
I started about 50 seeds and had good tails sprout about 95 %. Problem is that they wont discard their casings and end up dying or deforming terribly. I have operated on some to take casings off, but some are dying due to being handled, no matter how careful I am. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stop hurting them early on, if after a week of being like they should have shed try to help it a bit daily.. Do it too soon and you end uo with deformed cotleydons and even chlorosis or some discolouration.

Keep them in a high top propagator to aid moisture retention and maintain vitality, they dry up because the seed has only so much endosperm. Plant them into fertile soil like you would as if to prick out, classic horticultural style. None of the seed in a paper towel, soak/precharge the media. Perfect environmental conditions with 24 hours lighting..

Like this

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=10876

corky1968

Veteran
I had that problem dozens of times before with old seeds especially.

The only way, I saved some plants was to become a seed doctor ASAP.

I took a sewing needle and pair of tweezers. Then I carefully and slowly peeled
away the hard seed casing. If the casing is split a bit. Just pry it open carefully
and normally if all goes well it will come off. Go slow and steady. Avoid touching
the tap root as much as possible.

Very Important: Make sure that you do this while keeping the seeds, your hands
wet and use a spray bottle. If the tiny seeds dries it could be game over.

The embryonic membrane also come off at times exposing the two fake leaves if all goes well.

You may not save them all and you may break some heads off. But if get a
few done. You'll know how to save them if your ever in that situation again.

Finally, place the tiny seed with it's tap root pointing down under a fluorescent light.
When seeds are going thru this procedure the head can't be buried. They need to
start creating energy by photosynthesis right away if they are to make it.

Good Luck

Heusinomics

Those are great tips ^ good work guys.

Iv also had this happen many times. Esp when putting poped sprouts into hydro media like small rockwool cubes.
Often moistening the seeds shell n very carful fingers can free a stubborn seedling.

I did just recently read a "tip" for this very problem that was suprisingly obvious, and prety effective. Wich was..
"Just plant them a bit deeper"

Easier for soil than for hydro.
But its simply the push through the media that helps pull off the seed shell.

Iv Ben pulling of shells for years n on my last germ test 30for30 n no stubborn shells
Planted at closer to 3/4" deep & put into media directly after cracking tips, not with longer bean sprout tails.
Those of you who use papertowles should move to another media ASAP once they see any reaction in their beans.

It is sure a bummer to crack a delicate stem or rip open a stuck shell n disfigure a precious new seedling.
Best of luck bringing up all them keepers n oc.
Big ups respect and happy growing.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great suggestions.

Plant deeper being the most effective. Pepper seeds are prone to "helmet head" more so than cannabis. If they still come up ginger, I dome and mist like fresh cuttings. A moist husk is more easily thrown by the seedling, cutting back the need for intervention and potential damage.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seeds are always sown to the depth of the seed. Unless you are provideing some sort of seed treatment. Seed depth, no more no less. Hypogeal germination don't make seeds shed their testa. Sounds cool tho...

Sandpaper makes them porous. They don't need that..

Sandpaper is a bit yeehaw :biggrin: ...

We call chefs who abuse mondern technology Cowboys .. :biggrin:

There is no doormancy in cannabis, just old seed..

Latest posts

Latest posts