What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco Flood and Drain Questions

Goats

Hey guys, was planning to give flood and drain a try with coco and had a few questions for those with experience growing this way.

Tent is 4×4 and the flood table is 41"×41" so it should fit perfectly. This run is likely to be 4 or 5 plants under a 600w GPS.

What pots do you suggest? Was thinking smart pots. Do they work well in F&D, or do plastic pots work better? What size pots for 5 plants in a 4×4?

What size reservoir for a table that size?

How much do you flood each time you flood?

Cheers!

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Been using smart pots for years. They work great. Been using them for 10 years or longer with a 50/50 mix of coco coir/coco chips but you can use plain coir. If in the US, you can go to A.M. Leonard and buy a bundle of 25 2 gallon Root Pouch brand smartpot type bags for under $16.00. Even less than that if you buy 3 bundles or more. 2 gallon pots are perfect but you could step up to 3 gallon pots but I find them unnecessary.
Use a 40 gallon res. Will give you a few days longer use before having to top off with fresh water and nutes.
How often and how long depends on several thing. Which stage they are in, how many pots on the table, etc
Do this when first starting flood
Start your pump(with your plants on the table). Time how long it takes for the water level to come hlf way up the pots or to the top of the over flow. That is how long you'll want to flood
How often? 1 time a day usually in veg and early bloom. If they get big and the pots feel light before the end of the light cycle add another flood. I don't flood more than I need to. If they stay to wet you can have stunted grow and get root problems. Just go by the pots weight. I water when lights come on. Later in Bloom when they are holding a good bit of weight I'll add an extra flood about 1 hour before lights out. You want them wet, not soaked all day, and never dried out!!
Hope that answered your questions