What's new

Does LEDs really yield the same as their "HPS equivalent"

Horselover Fat

Veteran
You also need to account for the shape of the room. If your garden is up against while/silver walls, these will act as a waveguide and light will penetrate further down. The smaller the garden, the more that the sidewalls will help light travel down further.

Nah, wall losses come in to play in small spaces. Inverse square law dictates light spreads over larger area and loses intensity. Walls reflect that light back to a smaller area, but some is lost in every reflection. The loss quickly becomes significant.

Koondense

Veteran
I would love to see a light made out of lasers! No more trouble with inverse square law and spread :)

Wanted to add that it's irrelevant to talk about lumen value of discrete(mono) leds, the lumen curve peaks in the green(550nm) part of the spectrum, blue and red are out of that curve, that's why lumen values are low.

Cheers

TahoeTops

I would love to see a light made out of lasers! No more trouble with inverse square law and spread :)

Wanted to add that it's irrelevant to talk about lumen value of discrete(mono) leds, the lumen curve peaks in the green(550nm) part of the spectrum, blue and red are out of that curve, that's why lumen values are low.

Cheers

Interesting that you say this. "light made out of lasers" I have full color Laser projection systems and have always wondered if I could somehow incorporate them into growing. But that is another topic.

I can verify that with high quality LED's, you can achieve between 1 and 2 grams per watt! The flowers come out extremely dense.

Sunshineinabag

my bad..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12000 lumens is not much. If the lamp is 7 feet away you would not have much lux left. I just tested my desk LED and 1 inch from the lamp 9000 lux , 1 foot away 2200 lux?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] So how many lux do you have at the top and the bottom of the plant?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I know it not the perfect measurement tool, but I don't have $600 odd for a PAR meter.. Lux will give me a reasonable, repeatable way to measure light. Once I can get 70,000 lux all over my plants 1.5 sq foot buckets @ 100 watts, I will be happy...[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In the interest of truth justice and the comics, any static measurement about your grow is YOUR data. Yes it can be a yard stick,but its still really a variable.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84027&pictureid=2064327&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Consider light to be the Catalyst for all other cardinal parameters, it seems to me logical to get the light as best you can.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Watts per Gram is great for YOUR light source, however consider the impact of the other parameters, is your heat /cooling sources the same, temperature nutes etc. Will all the all the values be the same as yours?? Nope so debating [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Watts per Gram is more mental masturbation than a reliable data source.:tongue:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.nature.com/articles/s41438-020-0283-7 LED info..[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID9rE5JewVg[/FONT][/FONT] Dr. Bruce Bugbee he knoweth what he clicketh.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Lumens are fer humans

SuperBadGrower

You all keep debating and pulling up data to fit your needs.
Meanwhile, I am very busy at work, using LESS ELECTRICITY, expanding my grow and producing quality product.

Try it, you might like it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Deformable...rand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Hello Mr. Broken Record

HPS:
Output: ~150.000 lumens
Power: 1000 W

Chinese POS:

Output: ~12.000 lumens
Power: 120 W

So to achieve "150.000 lumens" needs 1500 watts.
To buy 1500 watts of this dogshit led lighting costs

= $293,87 USD

And that's assuming the luminous flux is not overestimated. with these things you can probably expect to replace your 1kW with 1600 watts. What a deal!

You are takin steps back and celebrating it

Horselover Fat

Veteran
^i'm guessing the efficacy is about the same as hps, which isn't bad. For my 2x4 I'd rather use 4-6 of these than hps, but, yeah, we are in the led section and most of us commenting are already led converts with fixtures that produce significantly more light per watt.

SuperBadGrower

Yeah all those hps photons wont hit the plants either after reflector losses etc ... its just lame to come with stuff that is ostensibly 66% as good as hps at converting energy to light, in a thread about hps vs led. IMO

indagroove

Veteran
Yeah all those hps photons wont hit the plants either after reflector losses etc ... its just lame to come with stuff that is ostensibly 66% as good as hps at converting energy to light, in a thread about hps vs led. IMO

I think he's a salesman for those lights. I wonder why he's never posted any good bud picks from what he's grown under those crappy lights.

Also I think it's pretty funny any time anyone talks about lumen ratings of any screw in type LED, since manufactures are known to lie about their numbers on the regular. 12k lumens from 120watts, seems like a nice round easy convenient number that buyers will like to see, but to me seems super unlikely to be a real number.

Dandelo

One of my concerns is how to tell if or when singular diodes start fading efficiency or output wise, then when one or more diodes do fail, do you send it for warranty replacement or will there be a repair kit ect? just seems some questions unanswered to be completely sold on LED fixtures.

I am currently more interested in CMH than LED...ill wait until the LED prices come down to reality.

sshz

I can only speak of the Gavita's, as I own 2 of them. There are over 3300 diodes in them, probably 1/3 more than any other LED. They use newer, high end drivers too and purposely don't push them like other company's, therefore the diodes tend to last longer. Gavita offers a 5 year warranty, everyone else offers just 3 years. BUT, they only accept warranty returns if 15% or more of the diodes stop working.

Last edited:

bs0

goto arrow and find the samsung 2' 96 up 301b influx strips i thinks its the l09 i use the 5k cause they always in stock, and sometimes hit 5$ a strip - the redder strips are harder to find but you add red as needed anyways these 5000k hot 9300 lumens at 60~ watts

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/sl-b8u7n90l1ww/samsung-electronics again pricing can fluctuate wildly ive bought these for $4.50 before they dont always have the U temp in stock at 3500k

the drivers are also from arrow i use meanwells those big strips gonna need lotsa power
so i use a hlg 450 48v a or b depends on whats in stock
or a 600 watt meanwell

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/hlg-600h-48a/mean-well-enterprises

this driver will run 9 of these strips above at 48v 1.38 A in parallel - you could get cute and drop ten in there as well to hit the sweet spot of efficiency this light will drop 85000 lumens - about 60% of a 1K HPS , so build 2 rigs for a true 4x4 footprint

, or if i can source inventronics 600 - they are about 55% the price of meanwells (but you do need to purchase a programming interface and work in series for your builds)

and heatsinks usa i use the 2.079 profile as an active design ( meaning the room fans , blowing over the lights will keep them cool enough to be happy - dedicate a fan or 2 per , itll make u feel better

https://www.heatsinkusa.com/2-079-wide-extruded-aluminum-heatsink/ these strips are 22.9 " long so get a 23 - 24" heatsink for $9 each x 10

youll need 23-24" to mount each strip, use double sided thermal tape, some aluminun l channel, wacos and redneck engineering and voila ,

i should just do a tutorial thread...

anyways , even after tariffs , i get a 600 watt 4x4 banger for about ~500$ including the bits and parts to get you in the club, after you have this stuff on hand yoiu will start tinkering and buying more drivers and strips to suit your needs, they are addicting, but so is saving 30-40% on hvac bills

this lite at 4x4 gives you 37.5 w/sqft

right in the sweet spot for leds

anyone wanna see a strip build? i dont recall seing a proper thread on icrag yet , just dions cob resource ( which is a bomb fucking thread!) maybe i did , its been awhile

so for a 600 watt that could blow the doors off a 600hps for around $375 after shipping and tarriffs
Yes u do need bits like 3way wacos that can handle the wattage
some 5 or ten up terminals
some solid copper wire , two side thermal tape
Al L channel and self tapping hvac screws
that stuff on hand allows you to build lights exactly for your room as well
i can do a vert a circlejerk or a SOG with as much or as little lights as i need

Got a link (please?) to the dion cob resource? Much appreciated.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
O
Interesting, got a link maybe?

I read about them in a discussion. There maybe others, but vtac evolution series was mentioned. I found them for 3.60€ per 9.5w 160lm/w bulb. They have floodlights and others too.

https://www.cbelektro.sk/eshop/ziar...000k-1521lm-a60-vt-2310-v-tac/p-4794952.xhtml

Using those you need ~48 bulbs to reach 1000 umol (i'm guesstimating based on 4000k lm301b) and that would be 172€ for the bulbs. Power draw would be 456 watts. Efficacy 2.19 umol/j

Last edited:

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Holy sheeet! That means screw in bulbs beat 1000w DE HPS efficacy! And at lower startup price?!?!?

Edit: phew, got confused and it's still more expensive of course. We need 100 bulbs and 360€ for the bulbs to match a 1000w de hps.

Last edited:

Im'One

I grew a romulan grapefruit female from seeds, then clones from her under my previous set up
15 nine watt LEDs wth globes on.
Switched this last grow to fifteen Watters and took the globes off.
Mixed 3500 and 5000k both times...I smoked a joint from my last grow and it was substantially stronger and had about 30 percent more yield.
Currently I have some of this same clones in my greenhouse, they started blooming in july when I put them in greenhouse? Then reveg and now are adding pistols and stacking again. It will be interesting to see what this batch yields and smoke quality?

gladysvjubb

Veteran
This is a 120 Watt deformable 4 paddle LED at work.
I assure you it is the brightest interior light I have ever encountered.
Check ebay. I found a new 150 Watt deformable. Remember all you do is screw these in to a socket.
https://ibb.co/T1LVgw5

Latest posts

Latest posts