Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Magnesium problem need help

Thread Title Search
Click to see great Glass, Pipes and Bongs at Aqua Lab!
Magnesium problem need help Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2017, 01:58 PM #11
hazyfontazy

hazyfontazy is a name known to allhazyfontazy is a name known to allhazyfontazy is a name known to allhazyfontazy is a name known to allhazyfontazy is a name known to allhazyfontazy is a name known to allhazyfontazy is a name known to allhazyfontazy is a name known to allhazyfontazy is a name known to allhazyfontazy is a name known to allhazyfontazy is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPassion View Post
I thought praying was a good thing?

Anyway,
It sounds like you've got a lot of bicarbonates in your tap water.
Bicarbs will lock out Mg.
It may also be the case that your plant just wants more.

i agree its the water

Old 10-13-2017, 01:58 PM #12
bigjdawg

bigjdawg is on a distinguished road
These ones are still in veg. These are in lc mix #1and guano tea recipe. I prefer the lc#1 and guano tea recipe over all other mixes so far. I've tried multiple mixes with the same main problem. From here on out I'm focusing on one mix and it's going to be lc#1 with the guano teas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1507891989216986311728.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	431886 Click image for larger version

Name:	15078920836271214529021.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	431887
bigjdawg is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 02:03 PM #13
bigjdawg

I don't ph because everything I read said you don't need to in organic soil since the soil buffers it's self from the dolomite lime. That's the reason why I haven't done so

If it was my water source would a normal water filter remove biocarbonates? Or would i have to buy a special water filter or start buying ro water?

Old 10-13-2017, 02:10 PM #14
bigjdawg

I have had great success with the lc mix #1 and guano tea recipe. I grew this one in that mix but I still had the same mag problem. I even started to add 1/2tspn per gallon of Epsom salt to the nutrient teat and it didn't help. I only saw improvements with a foliar feed of Epsom salt. This by far was my best cycle though. I just got tired of the on going mag problem so I switched to dank Frank's mix to see if a new mix would suit me better but now I'm seeing the same thing so im returning back to lc's mix but trying to find a solution for when I switch from veg to flower on my next cycle. Plus trying to fix the current problem in dank Frank's mix since I'm only on week 2 1/2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170122_190627.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	431888

Old 10-13-2017, 03:34 PM #15
I wood

I wood has disabled reputation
Similar deficiencies plagued me while transitioning to recycled soil. After reading slownickel(I think) go on about the importance of calcium in several long and detailed posts I started topdressing with gypsum. Things started getting better quick. I now add a spoonful when remixing soil and top dress at transplant as well.
If I recall correctly, calcium plays a role in the absorption and transport of many other key things.
It is cheap and easy to get, worth a try in my opinion.
Good luck.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:04 PM #16
hyposomniac

hyposomniac is a jewel in the roughhyposomniac is a jewel in the roughhyposomniac is a jewel in the roughhyposomniac is a jewel in the roughhyposomniac is a jewel in the roughhyposomniac is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdawg View Post
I don't ph because everything I read said you don't need to in organic soil since the soil buffers it's self from the dolomite lime. That's the reason why I haven't done so

If it was my water source would a normal water filter remove biocarbonates? Or would i have to buy a special water filter or start buying ro water?
That might be true of a real organic soil but most indoor people, myself included, are just running organically amended soiless mixes in small pots and calling it organic soil in the hopes that it one-day becomes one.
No a regular filter will not remove bicarbonate.
Manufacturers suggest RO filters will remove 95% of bicarbonate but I can't locate real data.
hyposomniac is online now Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 07:09 PM #17
stewart169
IC Mag Supporter

stewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nice
Im no expert but I only use RO water now or occasionally mix my RO with tap water 50/50. My tap water has crazy high alkalinity. Plus I personally think way to many people reach for epsom SALT way to often and early.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:12 PM #18
stewart169
IC Mag Supporter

stewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyposomniac View Post
That might be true of a real organic soil but most indoor people, myself included, are just running organically amended soiless mixes in small pots and calling it organic soil in the hopes that it one-day becomes one.
No a regular filter will not remove bicarbonate.
Manufacturers suggest RO filters will remove 95% of bicarbonate but I can't locate real data.
Even the cheapo paper test strips will show how much crap is removed from RO water compared to any tap water. Ever wonder why so many homes have them for ice makers and coffee use etc. ? If you cant locate REAL data try google. Im not going to do it and link hundreds of links for you.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:14 PM #19
Dog Star
Sirius Sunshine

Dog Star has a reputation beyond reputeDog Star has a reputation beyond reputeDog Star has a reputation beyond reputeDog Star has a reputation beyond reputeDog Star has a reputation beyond reputeDog Star has a reputation beyond reputeDog Star has a reputation beyond reputeDog Star has a reputation beyond reputeDog Star has a reputation beyond reputeDog Star has a reputation beyond reputeDog Star has a reputation beyond repute
Use 2 caps from a bottle of apple cider on 5 gallons of water to lower down PH,

if you are in organic setup that doesnt mean you dont need to lower a PH of
your feed.. with lowering a PH a plants will eat a lot easier and will not lock Mg..
Dog Star is offline Quote

Old 11-09-2017, 10:56 AM #20
PakSamGyiShing

PakSamGyiShing is on a distinguished road
Sulfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by I wood View Post
Similar deficiencies plagued me while transitioning to recycled soil. After reading slownickel(I think) go on about the importance of calcium in several long and detailed posts I started topdressing with gypsum. Things started getting better quick. I now add a spoonful when remixing soil and top dress at transplant as well.
If I recall correctly, calcium plays a role in the absorption and transport of many other key things.
It is cheap and easy to get, worth a try in my opinion.
Good luck.
I think I Wood is onto something with the gypsum, it'd be worth you running a trial. Back in the ROLS thread Coot and them all would rag on folks running dolo lime, and all the fellows dealing with Cal-Mag lockout issues. At one point he mentioned that this situation is incredibly common in folks running in coco setups because coir is incredibly deficient in sulfur. The sulfur is used by the soil microbiological community to break the carbonate bonds on both Calcium carbonate and Magnesium carbonate, making both Ca and Mg available. Without the sulfur, as sulphate, playing this role you can get these lockout issues. It may be good to try and top dress with some gypsum and see if that helps.

Switching your overall lime mix to something like 1 part dolo:1 parts ag lime:1 part gypsum, and then using 1 cup of this/cf of your soil may help. This would be 26%Ca, 4%Mg, 5%SO4, with a Ca:Mg ration of 7:1, which is aight. The 2:1 ratio of the straight dolomite lime is quite a bit off from what you want, being about 22%Ca, 11%Mg.

HTH
PakSamGyiShing is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.