What's new

5Lbs/1Kw Challenge-The Quest for 80 Zips with Galactic Grape

abellguy

Caveats:

I’ve never done this before. The closest I’ve come is near 4 pounds at 60 oz with a GPW of around 1.75. In addition, I would normally do a shakedown run before committing a plant I’ve only grown once in test to a production run. But hey, this is supposed to be a challenge!

I don't bring alot of negativity to the table normally, but there is no freaking way. If you pull 5lbs off a single 1k light I will quit growing. If you hit 2lbs I will be impressed.

Well he has already claimed to have gotten 2 ounces short of 4 pounds off one 1K. I can only assume you are weighing your stuff differently than what I am used to. The best I have done in areo is, homemade 56 unit, 4K aaw & horti's 8.75 pounds dry for donation to dispensary (Banana OG). So divide by 4 get 2 and change take out for overcrossing of lights and your right two p's or a little over will be impressive.

If he does hit 5 p's dry weight, you wont be the only one quitting. Or I am gonna be making this thread my new mantra :D I'm sub'd and looking forward to the show! Everything looks good so far :rasta:

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
- PuReKnOwLeDgE, abellguy

Please don't quit! Really I understand the incredulity, I would prolly say the same thing without knowing the facts. Like I said in the opener this is a special plant. And the methods I use are about as far from KISS as you can get. But KISS will only get you so far.

2 Lbs is my average - usually with what most would consider low or medium yield strains. 5 however is just nuts. I've come close to 4 with some AK47 crosses but never made it.

However I'm not totaly crazy!

I went back and pulled some pix from the test run that I hadn't put in the Galactic Grape thread.

Here is a pic that has the whole test row in one shot. Those 6 huge heads are 3 plants. Quality of pic sucks - but I think you can see the plant is off the hook.

That row yielded 13.5 oz. All I need to do is replicate that across 6 rows and average 4.5 per plant. What does 4.5 oz look like? Here is the middle plant freshly trimmed.

One plant production = 4.5 oz dried

Crazy I know - these are rock hard mold free giant buds of very high quality.

So you can see that with a bit more attention, better training, and scrupulous light usage - it could be possible.

Possible is a lot differrent than probable, and I took up this challenge to attempt to bridge that difference.

Its gonna be fun no matter what!

-AK

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
Yeah, probably not gonna make that quota... Only people I know even pulling 3 lb per 1k are straight professional master growers on a large scale. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt cause I don't know you and guess that since you're focusing on this so hard you'll pull about 3 lbs of DRY (under 8% moisture content) flowers.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey I don't mean to disrupt but I call BS. I have trimmed alot of herb and what is on that coat hanger is no where near 4.5oz. I grow alot of compact indicas that are the definition of rock hard and there is no way that is denser. I have been filling up 15ft strings with nugs of larger size and in abundance the past week, today, and the next week. You must be weighing up your herb when it is very wet. I think your past numbers are unrealistic therefore your goal is unrealistic. I don't mean to sound like a dick, hope I don't come off that way. Just my opinion, a single light is only capable of so much. Still have fun and please share some dry results.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
SoQuick was hitting 3.3lbs per 1K in a 600 plant coliseum w/ 3 lights. Thats literally wrapping a 3000w stack with budsicles

To hit 5lbs from a single horizontal 1k is unattainable. Some say they have been in the neighborhood of 4 with 256 plant SOG tables...but I'm still skeptical.

I appreciate the way your laying out this thread and your attention to detail so I'll be staying posted..

good luck.. I'd do anything for that cut if you could somehow pull it off.
Love your enthusiasm though.. I'm rooting for you!

mack 10

Veteran
5 lbs form 1K, ummm Good luck with that. But even maxed out at 2g a watt(1k light =2k)is only 2k/4.4 pounds. 5lbs form a single1K light is dreaming. Good luck anyhoo. Mack.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
- PuReKnOwLeDgE, abellguy

Please don't quit! Really I understand the incredulity, I would prolly say the same thing without knowing the facts. Like I said in the opener this is a special plant. And the methods I use are about as far from KISS as you can get. But KISS will only get you so far.

2 Lbs is my average - usually with what most would consider low or medium yield strains. 5 however is just nuts. I've come close to 4 with some AK47 crosses but never made it.

However I'm not totaly crazy!

I went back and pulled some pix from the test run that I hadn't put in the Galactic Grape thread.

Here is a pic that has the whole test row in one shot. Those 6 huge heads are 3 plants. Quality of pic sucks - but I think you can see the plant is off the hook.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=37094&pictureid=879662&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

That row yielded 13.5 oz. All I need to do is replicate that across 6 rows and average 4.5 per plant. What does 4.5 oz look like? Here is the middle plant freshly trimmed.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=37094&pictureid=879663&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

One plant production = 4.5 oz dried

Crazy I know - these are rock hard mold free giant buds of very high quality.

So you can see that with a bit more attention, better training, and scrupulous light usage - it could be possible.

Possible is a lot differrent than probable, and I took up this challenge to attempt to bridge that difference.

Its gonna be fun no matter what!

-AK

Hey I don't mean to disrupt but I call BS. I have trimmed alot of herb and what is on that coat hanger is no where near 4.5oz. I grow alot of compact indicas that are the definition of rock hard and there is no way that is denser. I have been filling up 15ft strings with nugs of larger size and in abundance the past week, today, and the next week. You must be weighing up your herb when it is very wet. I think your past numbers are unrealistic therefore your goal is unrealistic. I don't mean to sound like a dick, hope I don't come off that way. Just my opinion, a single light is only capable of so much. Still have fun and please share some dry results.

Have to COMPLETELY agree with this one....

No way that 4.5 zips......

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's all good. This should be a fun thread no matter what the outcome. I'm just gonna grow this grass as maxxed out as possible and invite you all along. We can talk about setups and methods. What works and doesn't.

This thread came from dreaming about what could be done with this plant. The 5Lb challenge idea made me laugh when I thought of it. Provocative and silly- and like most interesting things - makes you think about it. Could it REALLY be done and what would it take?

As for wieghts - in the end believe what you may, nothing can be proven definatively across the net either way. These are the numbers I have, you can interpret them however you wish. no offence to anyone or taken.

I'm just a dude having fun with my hobby exploring the limits of possibility.

Lets watch the grass grow!

-AK

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
It's all good. This should be a fun thread no matter what the outcome. I'm just gonna grow this grass as maxxed out as possible and invite you all along. We can talk about setups and methods. What works and doesn't.

This thread came from dreaming about what could be done with this plant. The 5Lb challenge idea made me laugh when I thought of it. Provocative and silly- and like most interesting things - makes you think about it. Could it REALLY be done and what would it take?

As for wieghts - in the end believe what you may, nothing can be proven definatively across the net either way. These are the numbers I have, you can interpret them however you wish. no offence to anyone or taken.

I'm just a dude having fun with my hobby exploring the limits of possibility.

Lets watch the grass grow!

-AK

i like your attitude....

good luck with this grow rep+

E

ekomsi

I hope you hit 3-4lbs that would be something special but I agree with the two guys above I highly doubt thats 4.5 oz dry on the hanger. check your scale

abellguy

Your positivity is inspiring to say the least, like I said this thread may become my new mantra :D cause I ain't quitting. Looking forward to the show :rasta:

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
AK bringing his "A" game as usual!

My attitude is that if he can do it, why can't I?

If I'm not maxing out my plant, then what am I doing wrong?

I then ask myself: how can I improve my "game" ?

Since I don't live in a Med State, it is even more critical that I max out my plants potential.

R.Fortune

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
AK, can you quantify any production increase due to foliar feeding?

Do you always foliar feed?

Also, not sure if you mentioned what type of hood you employ?

Have you looked at Gavita's line up with Phillips new double ended 1K lamps?

Thanks!

R.Fortune

Rouge

Yeah.........just what the fu&*ck is possible??

Keep the positivity comin

:)I'm definitely pulling up a chair for this one!:)

I don't understand all the negativity that's been put up here, having read your previous threads on your other runs it's easy to see that you definitely put several different phenos through testing and picked the pheno that yielded the most (#4 if I remember correctly) and attempt to get close to what she yielded (around 4-4.5). IF you happen to succeed in getting all 18 plants to yield similarly then you've got your goal and record I'm guessing. I don't find this that hard to believe but since there are already doubters it makes me wanna see you succeed that much more. If you can average anything close to 4 per plant I'm definitely gonna switch up my set-up and do nft. Good luck!

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
-Robotrumble

Its OK really. I'm a skeptic. Looking at those posts in question, the posters were calling BS in a kind civil manner. I respect the restraint. Extraordinary claims requires extraordinary evidence. Which is pretty impossible on the net.

I started this thread knowing it would be provocative. My ultimate goal is not 5 Lbs, but rather everyone thinking and dreaming on how they can do better - and information sharing to help make it happen. I think my opening paragraphs in the initial post speaks to this.

I appreciate your support.

-R.Fortune

Thanks for the easy pitches. I'll commence to ramblin!

AK, can you quantify any production increase due to foliar feeding

I do not have any numbers. Long ago when I was doing a side by side comparison of sprayed/not sprayed, after 3 applications, the sprayed plants looked so much better that I just started spraying them all and gave up on the experiment.

I started with the ole spray-n-grow. I then went to kelp+organic with a detergent surfactant. I then started using DM’s penetrator(now saturator) as a wetting agent with my own brews. I got tired of kitchen chemistry and tried their liquid light. Finding no significant difference between the last two sprays, I now opt for the simplicity of the bottle. There are some new ones I’d like to try at some point. Might be a future thread of mine - thanx for the idea!

Do you always foliar feed?

No. There are two situations where I don’t.

Super picky delicate plants. A pheno of Jojorizzo’s crystal locomotive comes to mind. A spindly scrawny plant that produces the most beautiful pink crystal puffs that taste like cherries dipped in sweet Ronson lighter fluid. One spray application sends it into nitro overload - rams horning all the leaves overnight.

Super high trich plants. Too much foliar spray or spraying too long will inhibit trich formation. The reason is that the wetting agent is disrupting the wax cuticle every time you spray. Over spraying leads to thicker cuticles. I limit spraying these to the first two weeks of bloom if at all. An example would be the Sun Maidens I have in test - they will get little spray.

Some rules of thumb:

Don’t spray when buds are bigger than a fingertip. Putting liquid on buds is asking for mold. This comes out to spraying for about the first three weeks. Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday are my normal spray days. Everyone young enough in the room gets it. GLG will be an exception - its getting a more dilute version every other day. I’m trying to build the best bud bases I possibly can.

Apply with the lights out and the fans on. Even with wetting agents, leaves can get “stippled” with the lights on.

Expect a little leaf twist. Any more, just back up on the concentration.

Also, not sure if you mentioned what type of hood you employ?

I have the old trapezoidal wings. I plan to upgrade when the technology is not quite bleeding edge. I’m on light rails(which I Love) and they don’t work well with air cooling tubes. This fall is my target for this improvement.

Thanks again for your questions.

-AK

Latest posts

Latest posts