What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thc % Test

Dabology

I make shatter and in order to pass the break even point i need to get stuff that yields 18%+ i do CLS runs with a system that does a pound at a time and i'm just wondering if there's anything out there i can buy to do home testing for thc % to figure out the best stuff to run without having to use more then a 0.5g for testing, i've seen the myDx but i'm not sure if its a scam or not/worth 1k, and alpha-cat / cannalyticssupply type test kits not sure if these are accurate ? the Sage Analytics unit is out of my price range asked for a quote and was told somewhere close to the 20k range thanks

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
TLC tests (thin layer chromatography) like alpha-cat are rally only qualitative- they can tell you what's present in your sample, but not accurately quantify the compounds.

MyDx is a bad joke of a product, more accurately referred to as a random number generator.

The only real way to quantify cannabinoids accurately is with HPLC. You can also use GC, but the numbers are not really accurate since cannabinoids are destroyed in the process (up to 30%). This is not a setup for the home-user.

if you want an accurate test, pay a lab to run your samples (~$100 per test). There really is no good way to accurately determine cannabinoid levels at home.
-Chimera

Dabology

have you tried the mydx yourself?
TLC tests (thin layer chromatography) like alpha-cat are rally only qualitative- they can tell you what's present in your sample, but not accurately quantify the compounds.

MyDx is a bad joke of a product, more accurately referred to as a random number generator.

The only real way to quantify cannabinoids accurately is with HPLC. You can also use GC, but the numbers are not really accurate since cannabinoids are destroyed in the process (up to 30%). This is not a setup for the home-user.

if you want an accurate test, pay a lab to run your samples (~$100 per test). There really is no good way to accurately determine cannabinoid levels at home.
-Chimera

sadpanda

lol that MyDx seems like a dream come true, until you take an extra five minutes to read how it actually "works" (or more correctly - doesn't). It doesn't even give you results from your actual sample (like WTF!)!!! it has to call out to the internet (no security/privacy issues there) to ask its server "whats a bud youve actually sampled that smells similar to this?" (it just does some sort of 'sniff test'), and then provides you the data on the actual bud they tested in their lab which has no real relation with your bud and more likely than not isnt even of the same strain.

This sums MyDx up ... https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7287462
Got mine few months back. Did not test any cannabis, but tested few fruits and veggies in my fridge (apple skins, tomatoes, lemons, pear, etc.) all, except pumkin seeds showed level of THC 16-22% and traces CBN, CBD, a lot of terpens. Did a few blank experiments in between measurements (nothing in the chamber), which showed ZERO for everything. You can tell how accurate this is based on this results.
Im sooo happy i learned about Thin Layer Chromatography like Chimera mentioned above who's been very generous helping me get started with TLC, which is affordable and easy enough to do at home, and while it wont tell you the exact %'s (its qualitative and not very quantitative) it will give you for example a very good idea of your THC-to-CBD ratio (and whether or not there even is any CBD), and as long as you keep the parameters all exactly the same with each test it can be useful for comparisons. Those cannabinoid TLC test kits that claim to give you %'s are apparently only +/- 10% accurate, and if thats the case im not sure there's much point in trying to use them for %'s? but still a super useful tool for what it can do! and without it we're basically completely blind, short of sending it to a lab?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts