What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Side by side grow. 630 CMH vs 1000HPS

MedResearcher

Veteran
Great thread, thanks Issack.

I am very close to getting a few new lights, and you have drawn my attention to the CMH.

Had a couple questions, if you don't mind. Hopefully you haven't answered them already. I combed through pretty well, but maybe I missed it.

Can you hook the nano's up to a master controller, and did you? I did dig in, and find some information about the NCCS. Seemed similar to a master controller but more geared towards mobile, online, wireless features. I thought maybe they had a more simple version, you might know about?

I noticed you mentioned replacing 1ks with 630s. If you had the room would you match the watts, or just go1x 1k to 1x 630. As in, would you replace 4x 1ks with 6x 630s if you could fit the canopy?

Thanks again,
Mr^^

issack

Veteran
Great thread, thanks Issack.

I am very close to getting a few new lights, and you have drawn my attention to the CMH.

Had a couple questions, if you don't mind. Hopefully you haven't answered them already. I combed through pretty well, but maybe I missed it.

Can you hook the nano's up to a master controller, and did you? I did dig in, and find some information about the NCCS. Seemed similar to a master controller but more geared towards mobile, online, wireless features. I thought maybe they had a more simple version, you might know about?

I noticed you mentioned replacing 1ks with 630s. If you had the room would you match the watts, or just go1x 1k to 1x 630. As in, would you replace 4x 1ks with 6x 630s if you could fit the canopy?

Thanks again,
Mr^^

No I did not put them on a master controller. They are all on the same timer and do their thing from there..

The 630 put out the same 4x4 footprint as a 1k hps. And they out yield the hps by a half pound a lamp. And better quality end product as well.

I dont have the space to match the watts but I probably would if I could. Just remember these 630s put out the same heat as an air cooled 1k hps. So if you want to match the watts then you will need to upgrade your cooling.. I have 9 lamps running now I have a 30k and 36k running together. Room is at 79 with lights on and co2 and dehumidifiers going.

I'll never run 1k hps again after I'm done with this current grow of dosido.. 630cmh smoke them out of the water..

MedResearcher

Veteran
Ahh sweet, thanks for the reply and info.

Dosido's is really good. So frosty, dense, crazy dosi dough smell. Guess that was two years ago I crossed, (Royal Kush F7) x Dosidos. Then last year I back crossed it, back to the Dosi again. Just popped a little over 100 to sift through. The Dosi makes the progeny so frosty, and doughy. Need to find one that yields a little better but keeps the quality. The picture of that pheno of OGKB 2.0, that those guys I think in Detriot found. So stacked for a similar cross.

Sucks, because my local shop has DE 1ks in stock, and I had already planned the layout using them. Every time I see your thread, and remember you saying quality, quantity, and density though! Without a master controller, I would need a timer board to.

Have been throwing around the idea of flush mounting the lights in the ceiling, so the heat from the balast and radiant heat off the top of the hood stays out of the room. We have 10' ceilings, so DE 1k HPS flush mounted would provide tons of canopy height space, curious if the CMH would be ok like that to, or if they would be to high?

Enough rambling and clogging up your thread, decisions decisions.

Again, great thread and thanks,
Mr^^

Iamnumber

Thank you for doing the side by side grow and sharing the story with us! :tiphat:
Looks like lamps used play a key role .. with quick search the 630 lamp is much more red heavy than 1000w lamp .. which would concur with results.

Scrappy-doo

This thread inspired me so much I went ahead and picked up a dual cmh lamp like yours. What distance do you find is best for veg and flower?

Dirt Bag

.. with quick search the 630 lamp is much more red heavy than 1000w lamp ...

Untrue. Though CMH produces a higher CRI, it does not produce more red. Hortilux DE Super HPS currently provides the most red available in an HID bulb.
picture.php

Here it is literally off the charts.

p0opstlnksal0t

Dosido's is really good. So frosty, dense, crazy dosi dough smell. Guess that was two years ago I crossed, (Royal Kush F7) x Dosidos. Then last year I back crossed it, back to the Dosi again. Just popped a little over 100 to sift through. The Dosi makes the progeny so frosty, and doughy. Need to find one that yields a little better but keeps the quality. The picture of that pheno of OGKB 2.0, that those guys I think in Detriot found. So stacked for a similar cross.

Sucks, because my local shop has DE 1ks in stock, and I had already planned the layout using them. Every time I see your thread, and remember you saying quality, quantity, and density though! Without a master controller, I would need a timer board to.

Have been throwing around the idea of flush mounting the lights in the ceiling, so the heat from the balast and radiant heat off the top of the hood stays out of the room. We have 10' ceilings, so DE 1k HPS flush mounted would provide tons of canopy height space, curious if the CMH would be ok like that to, or if they would be to high?

Mr^^

Was his comparison of a DE 1kw? I was thinking it was a SE air cooled? I don't think a 630w cmh would compare to a 1kw DE especially a good bulb like an ushio

Iamnumber

H
Oh almost forgot. I'm using the Phillips agro full spectrum lamps on the 315s, and hortilux 1000 lamps with raptor hoods on the hps.

Untrue. Though CMH produces a higher CRI, it does not produce more red.

Hortilux DE Super HPS currently provides the most red available in an HID bulb.
I looked up more generic hortilux lamp (not that much red in my opinion).. not DE super .. if you have solid info that that is the specific lamp used.. cool.. I had no such info.

Dirt Bag

There is no such thing as a "generic Hortilux lamp". All Eye Hortilux 1000w HPS produce more red than any CMH regardless of socket type. This is generally true of any 1000w HPS. It's the nature of the beast.

issack

Veteran

Mr^^

That cross sounds amazing man. Yeah I'm excited for this dosido run. This cut we have is a big producer from what my good friend says that also grows the same pineapple cut that you guys seen in the last grow..

I would hang those 1k DE high as you can man.. I've never run them but I can only imagine. I'd rock 4 to 5 feet above finish canopy.. I'd flush mount them for sure.

issack

Veteran
This thread inspired me so much I went ahead and picked up a dual cmh lamp like yours. What distance do you find is best for veg and flower?

I have them slammed to the ceiling for the whole grow. I didn't last time and suffered some light burn and hot spots. I only have 7 1/2 foot ceilings in this room so I have them slammed.! I wanna have 3f from top of canopy this time. These lights are not like the old school hps lamps with big hoods They need to be up high.

issack

Veteran
Here is my dosido run at 8 days flower.. I'll be doing some massive defoliation and stripping next week once they stop stretching.. this strain likes to stretch let me tell you.!

This is the last grow with my last 4 HPS. I added another 630 in the closet in this room. Made a little flood table and a drain area and I pump this waist water in my main tote that pumps outside.. its working well.!

I put a new 36k split in also. I did have an 18k and a 30k going together. The summer months came and it didn't like it. So I replaced the 18k with the 36. Now there is 66k going on. I have zero problems now as far as cooling. Room is running better than ever now.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

NzGreenWhanau

Thanks for the fush

Thanks for the fush

Okay folks. Are you guys ready for more lies.? Are you ready for me to fudge my weights again.?? Cool well here I go.. hehe

Total weight on the HPS is 8 lbs 15 oz. So the cmh yielded more.! Total weight of the whole grow 18 lbs 7.5 oz.

So after digging deep and really getting into the trim on the HPS side. I have learned that the CMH is just a way better Light.. It produced a way better product. there was more Terps, the buds were way heavier, it was a dream to trim compared to the HPS. HPS had more larf. There was way more untrimmable buds. As where the CMH there was not that much air buds and larf at all CMH is just a considerable amount more of density going on.. I was amazed at the penetration as well deep down in the canopy. the buds were still hard and trimmable, as to where the HPS was very airy and Light. Weighing up an ounce of both sides the ounce on the CMH side fills up half the bag as to where the ounce on the HPS packs it full..

I'm 100% sold on the CMH. I'm converting my room to all 630s is now. It beat the 1000s hands down.. in all aspects. I was getting 9.5 and 9 oz and 8.5 oz plants on the regular with the cmh. The biggest plant trimmed in the hps was an even 8 ounces..

So that's my results guys.! I'm glad you guys enjoyed and thank you all for the props and kind words. I'm glad this grow went well so I could show you guys a good side by side.!!

My next grow in this room is Dosido. You guys can come check it out in grow diaries. "8 k coco grow show"

Aloha everyone. Happy growing.!

Thanks for the information. I have been thinking of getting a new light for my next grow. Awesome plants.👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

Dirt Bag

This thread has convinced us to switch. We're only hung up on which brand and funding. Seriously considering iPower. Why? Because they're less expensive and sold through Amazon Prime. For those who don't know, anything sold through Prime acquires the Amazon Prime "warranty", which will basically allow you to return anything anytime after the purchase if you're not satisfied, no questions asked. Why? Because your measly return is a grain of sand on the beach of cash Amazon is raking in through Prime.
There is the quality issue, but I've read as many great reviews as shitty ones. At literally half the price of most others, they drive a hard bargain.